LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2022, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The Northman

Robert Eggers' Viking folklore vengeance tale is definitely worth a visit. It feels clichéd at first with some very obvious Conan steals (homage?) but it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. A mixture of testosterone fueled action and folk horror mysticism with some very good performances from an eclectic cast thrown in.... oh, and Anja Taylor-Joy's bare bum...
Did you see it at the cinema?
Old 15th April 2022, 11:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you see it at the cinema?
Yes, at the local
Old 16th April 2022, 07:37 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The Northman

Robert Eggers' Viking folklore vengeance tale is definitely worth a visit. It feels clichéd at first with some very obvious Conan steals (homage?) but it just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. A mixture of testosterone fueled action and folk horror mysticism with some very good performances from an eclectic cast thrown in.... oh, and Anja Taylor-Joy's bare bum...

I had the opposite reaction myself I was hyped at the start but got more and more disappointed as it went on. However, the final fight was pure spectacle and it was awesome.

On the plus side the score and the sound design are both amazing. The landscape shots were beautiful. Björk was totally believable as a Seer and finally the Valkyrie riding into Valhalla was a sight to behold.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th April 2022, 08:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

passion-of-the-christ-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2004)

Mel Gibson's movie following events from the betrayal of Jesus to the crucifiction.
Excessive violence, some scenes completely over the top make this a grueling watch, but the movie remains a powerful experience.
Old 16th April 2022, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Train To Busan. 2016.

Train going from Seoul to Busan has a passenger on board infected with a unknown virus that turns her into a zombie while mass hysteria is reported on the news. The passengers fight to stay alive and find safety.

After hearing mixed reveiws about this film, I decided to watch it, there are characters you like and hate and there is always one person you love to see a bit of karma coming for them. One character who seems a bit whimpish manages to find a set of balls and take fight.

There isn't much of a back story to the virus except a leak from a Bio-Tech research facility and seems to borrow some bits from 28 days Later, people turning into Zombies quick and can only see in the light where as in 28 Days Later they only see in the dark. There is a good amount of blood splatter and a couple of tense moments, don't know if i'd be in a hurry to watch this again.

Train-to-Busan-Remake.jpg
Old 16th April 2022, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. 2018.

Internet blogger hires a team of one celebrity and few unknown people for a live broadcast of Horror Time web show to investigate a abandoned asylum, what starts off as a joke becomes a frightening night for everyone.

A Japanese version of Grave Encounters that solely relies on Go-Pro POV cameras, another found footage that has a slow start but half way through the supernatural begins to start. This had something that was inspired by The Blair Witch Project, people going round in circles in a small forest. The acting isn't too bad and some of the jump scares are a bit predictable. Entertaining to watch in the dark.

ca20d287b9948914fecac7f40eb7a396cba8b4cfcbf43e53c7f49528e6d3b195._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg
Old 16th April 2022, 06:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Haunting of Pendle Hill (2022)

Slow burn yarn about a daughter searching for her father who mysteriously went missing in the forests (?) around Pendle Hill. Forests supposedly haunted by the old witch Demdike and her granddaughter Jennet.

Nicely atmospheric, especially for a low budget production, with mostly decent acting and in flashbacks good use of olde-world English ala Robert Eggers The Witch. The film sort of tells a jumbled story of the peddler John Law who was cursed by Alizon Device and subsequently died. The death was followed up by local Justice of the Peace, Roger Nowell.

So basically the film tells two stories. One set in 1612 and one in the modern day that cleverly interweave at the finale. The ghostly Demdike is in a way reminiscent of Black Phillip in the aforementioned The Witch in that she utters creepy sentences to those around trying to lure them to their deaths, whilst Alizon is seen several times in the woods wearing a weird cat mask.

Most disappointing was the fact that the film makers never set foot in Lancashire to film this thing. It looks more like somewhere in Ireland, certainly never seen Pendle. Stock footage of mountains and huge forests don't help matters either. In fact there's not one single shot of the real Pendle Hill.

Even though i got something out of this - a local historical thing- i'm not sure i'd recommend it. The pace really is snail like and for those without an interest in the subject there's nothing here that hasn't been in better films.
Old 16th April 2022, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Darling. 2015.

A young girl is hired to look after a house and begins to question her sanity.

If anything, Stephen King taught us never take a job as a caretaker in a empty building, this has all been done before a mix of repulsion and The Shining, filmed in Black and White this had potential to be something new but instead this went on a slippery slope downwards. Even though Sean Young is in this she has a small screen appearance and voice calls but that is about it. Very dull for me to enjoy.

darling.jpg
Old 16th April 2022, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bunker Game. 2022.

A Live Action Role Playing Game in a German Bunker is interrupted by power failure and some leave, those stay behind look for another person who has disappeared.

Why would anyone want to be a member of the Third Reich in any game is beyond me and why play it in a bunker that was used in the story line at the start of the film?? The acting was decent as everyone seems to get into their character, suppose this does show what isolation and claustrophobia does to people and have a ghost. at 95 minutes this felt it was longer and going in a different direction that was intended.

The_Bunker_Game-201371392-mmed.jpg

(The poster may be in German but the actors are English)
Old 16th April 2022, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Invitation to hell (1984)

Out the same year that Craven made nightmare on elm Street , while this TV movie is not a patch on it there is still some fun too be had with this bonkers story of a family that move into a new neighborhood and everyone wants them too join the country club , soon the father notices changes in his family , what strange going one are happening at the club, it's up to Robert Urich and his cut price iron man suit too save the day.

A blizzare mixture of hallmark, horror ,sci-fi and stepford wife's.

Now watching.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invitation_to_hell_dvd_cover.jpg (17.2 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!