All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2022, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Guns of Navarone (1961)

An excellent boys own war time adventure from author Alistair MaClean starring Gregory Peck, David Niven, Anthony Quayle, Irene Papas, Stanley Baker and Anthony Quinn, about a daring commando mission to blow up a pair of huge new German guns on the Greek island of Navarone which prevent Allied ships crossing the Aegean Sea.

Good characterization and some gripping scenes exploring the dynamic of the group help make this a lot of fun even if it's not quite as action packed as that other MaClean based war classic Where Eagles Dare.

However when the commando's bombs destroy the guns shit certainly blows up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GunsofNavarone.jpg (90.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th April 2022, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

During my Maclean binge, I was surprised how much I had retained from memory D.

Residue (2017, Rusty Nixon)

Where to start here .... I'll get to back to you soon though .... I watched this and was reminded of the time I saw The Infinte Man (2014) (recommend cough)
Not that that is any comparison.
Half the best screen version of Burroughs' work in intent and half ... that will have to wait for the rewatch.
A private eye takes on the case of his life. Max Headroom pops up. I need some respite so I'm off to watch The Sadness finally

Overview tomorrow ahem ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2022, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

I never used to appreciate Robert Fuest's Dr. Phibes films thinking they come off like a poor mans Theatre of Blood (1973). It doesn't help that Vincent Price is both expressionless and often silent throughout, although i must mention the skeletal Phibes at the climax as the films highpoint. However this time around i got a lot more out of it especially the camp streak of sadism running through as Phibes murders those he blames for the death of his wife with the supposed ten curses of the Pharoah.

I always find the death of Terry Thomas particularly unpleasant viewing as Phibes drains him of blood pint by pint in a ghastly medical procedure. This is one of my genuine fears, like some people are scared of drowning or being buried alive, seeing my life blood drained away pint by pint in this manner does my head in, it really does. Vampires really aren't the same thing though. I have no problem with them.

The Blu-ray looks really good, especially the outdoor sequences. Well worth picking up whilst it's in the current Arrow sale, i'd say. A big thanks to Mr.Barlow again for sending me his copy of this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abominable-Phibes-quad.jpg (96.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th April 2022, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While it's not even close to being as violent and depraved and unsettling as Hoopers masterpiece . It's still a enjoyable and creepy in places , with Spielberg being involved his influence is unmissable with the typical Spielberg suburban family and setting. Always remember the gory face pulling .

Now watching

Old 17th April 2022, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Train To Busan. 2016.

Train going from Seoul to Busan has a passenger on board infected with a unknown virus that turns her into a zombie while mass hysteria is reported on the news. The passengers fight to stay alive and find safety.

After hearing mixed reveiws about this film, I decided to watch it, there are characters you like and hate and there is always one person you love to see a bit of karma coming for them. One character who seems a bit whimpish manages to find a set of balls and take fight.

There isn't much of a back story to the virus except a leak from a Bio-Tech research facility and seems to borrow some bits from 28 days Later, people turning into Zombies quick and can only see in the light where as in 28 Days Later they only see in the dark. There is a good amount of blood splatter and a couple of tense moments, don't know if i'd be in a hurry to watch this again.

Attachment 239779
Wasn't it explained in Seoul Station?
Old 17th April 2022, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Wasn't it explained in Seoul Station?
It's more like a leak and the main character with his daughter and his assistant talk about the shares and funding for the company dropping. Unless I missed something
Old 17th April 2022, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Matewan

Based on true events and set in the 1920's, sees Chris Cooper try to organize the exploited Coal Miners into a Union and falls foul of the powerful Coal Company who insists on employees spending their wages in shops that are owned by the company. The 2 company representatives are vile as they are able to intimidate the locals. James Earl Jones and Bob Gunton co-star in a Film which has it's slow moments but it's decent not rubbish, however it's not a Film which I'll probably not watch in a very long time.

Critical Condition

Richard Pryor fakes being crazy in order to avoid Prison however he ends up pretending to be a Doctor after a Storm and mistaken identity. Released in 1986, this easily could have been one of those of it's time Films but it isn't and is pretty funny. Wesley Snipes as a cameo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m.jpg (14.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (11.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th April 2022, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
It's more like a leak and the main character with his daughter and his assistant talk about the shares and funding for the company dropping. Unless I missed something
Can't remember however I thought it could have been covered as it's the 1st part of the trilogy.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 17th April 2022, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For me De Palma best , expertly directed with great performance all round , a great 80s soundtrack and it's not hard too see how this heavily influenced GTA vice city. The film shows just what a great actor Pacino is , with Tony and Michael Corleone both being gangster types but they couldn't be any different , Michael is calm and collective while Tony is brutal and savage and a little deranged.

Now watching.

Old 17th April 2022, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Can't remember however I thought it could have been covered as it's the 1st part of the trilogy.
Just away to watch Train To Busan: Peninsula. Got some high hopes for this one

Like this? Share it using the links below!