Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Just away to watch Train To Busan: Peninsula. Got some high hopes for this one
Rather you than me.

I hated the first one.
Old 17th April 2022, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

For me De Palma best , expertly directed with great performance all round , a great 80s soundtrack and it's not hard too see how this heavily influenced GTA vice city. The film shows just what a great actor Pacino is , with Tony and Michael Corleone both being gangster types but they couldn't be any different , Michael is calm and collective while Tony is brutal and savage and a little deranged.

Now watching.

Nah i can't get my head round these gangster films everybody seems to love, to me De Palma's never bettered Carrie, Sisters and Phantom of the Paradise.or even The Fury.
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th April 2022, 03:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Train To Bushan Presents: Peninsula. 2020.

4 years after the zombie outbreak, former soldier who survived the onslaught along with 3 other people are tasked to go to Peninsula, find a certain truck that is full of money and come back out alive.

This starts off during and after the film with no mentioning of anyone else from the first film so we are kind of left in the dark about them. Now we have a group in Hong Kong hired for a simple or not so simple task and search and retrieve and make it to the Dock, there is some good tense moments at the start that seems to loose all aspect of it from the first film.

This isn't really humans vs zombies but more humans vs humans with a help of zombies, a group on the island kidnap people and use them in a game of survival against the zombies and using food as a source of betting. There is a somewhat cars and vans chase with zombies chasing anything that has lights on but seems to rely more on CGI, there is some blood splatter but toned down a but from the previous film which was a tad disappointing, think this is one of those films that once you have seen it that's it.

EdTTt5FVcAAH7sh.jpg
Old 18th April 2022, 07:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Nah i can't get my head round these gangster films everybody seems to love, to me De Palma's never bettered Carrie, Sisters and Phantom of the Paradise.or even The Fury.
Same, I keep seeing Carlito's Way in CEX and thinking oh that's cheap, but then I remember I thought Scarface was too long and aside from being flashy I didn't really enjoy it. DePalma is great director but I think he's better with Thrillers and when he's trying to be Hitchcock.

That said, I did like The Untouchables

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th April 2022, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Memories of Murder (2003) directed by Bong Joon-ho watched on Amazon for £1.99

Very good, and sometimes excellent 'based on true crime' drama focusing on the chaotic, often incompetent investigation of serial rape/murders in the South Korean sticks. The director here is more interested in police procedures than the motivations of the killer, with a savage portrayal of inept investigations including crime scene incompetence, dueling cops often coming to blows, police brutality in search of confessions and some ridiculous deductions based on prejudicial assumptions. At times the movie descends deliberately into black farce as the cops make one mistake after another and the bodies and wrong suspects mount up. Not up there with the Director's Oscar winner but worth a spin.
Old 18th April 2022, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Same, I keep seeing Carlito's Way in CEX and thinking oh that's cheap, but then I remember I thought Scarface was too long and aside from being flashy I didn't really enjoy it. DePalma is great director but I think he's better with Thrillers and when he's trying to be Hitchcock.

That said, I did like The Untouchables
Carlito's Way is excellent. Having said that i bought it last year from Cex and haven't watched it yet.

Fave De Palma films - Carlito's Way, Mission Impossible, The Untouchables, Body Double, Snake Eyes (Not in order by the way)
Old 18th April 2022, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Carlito's Way is excellent. Having said that i bought it last year from Cex and haven't watched it yet.

Fave De Palma films - Carlito's Way, Mission Impossible, The Untouchables, Body Double, Snake Eyes (Not in order by the way)
Are you telling me to go and spend £3.50 in CEX tomorrow

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th April 2022, 06:32 PM
Cult Addict

I second the Carlito's Way vote. I wasn't sure at first but the way it plays out is superb. Pacinos voiceover grated a little at first but in the end it makes the movie.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th April 2022, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoyed this but it definitely falls into the category of it's so bad it's good. Satan is reborn after being killed by a priest at the begining of the movie , it then jumps forward too Satan who is a high school student his powers soon begin to manfast . The story is all over the place we have some useless angels trying too kill Satan while has to be the most camp Satan I've seen, one minute he shagging woman and the next he appears to want it up the arse. With have killing murder, gore, zombies and closest homosexuality in the high school shower. Really has to be seen to believed.

Now watching.

Followed by.

Old 18th April 2022, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wailing. 2016.

A stranger arrives in a small village and a mysterious sickness takes over some people, a policeman tries to find out what is going on before his family become victims.

This was a blind watch for me and recommended by Shudder, at 2 hours 35 minutes I was expecting this to be a very slow paced Japanese horror that turned out to be the opposite. It has horror and drama mixed in with a few twists and turns added in. The film does have some slow parts but it helps build up the dark atmosphere to the film and has good direction, cinematography. It does show the aftermath of murders but never goes over the top, it can be quite tense at some moments. Well worth the watch and yes it's subtitled.

img_0817.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!