Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2022, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Satan's Slave. 1982.

After the death of his wife, a businessman and his two children are plagued by spirits and things take a turn when a new housekeeper appears.

Maybe in Indonesia folklore this could have been scary, and the scary thing for me was I watched it to the end and still have my sanity. This was a slooooow burner of a flick that seems to rip off other films and probably became the inspiration for Linda Blair's possessed character in Witchery. At the start we see a ghost, then 50 minutes in and everything seems to happen with ghosts and vampires appearing which is comically done. One that will happily be put on the not watch again list.

220px-Pengabdi_Setan_%281980%3B_obverse%3B_wiki%29.jpg
Old 19th April 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A classic that's one of if not Brooks best and shows what a talent he has for comedy writing. A great western and a even better comedy a film I will never grow bord of , has me in stitches every time I see it and love the last act which the fourth wall is broken.

Well this was far more enjoyable than I thought it would be from reviews . Based on James Herbert's The Shine, years since I've read it so don't know how close it is too the book, of course the biggest change it takes place in America and not England. negan himself plays a disgarced reporter he discovers what could be the story of a lifetime a young blind woman who is mute suddenly is able to speak and can perform miracles , who see believes is the virgin Mary working through her as the film goes on the reporter believes something more sinister is at work.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is joined by Cary Elwes(a priest with a very dodgy accent that's all over the place) and William Sadler. May not be the greatest film it's not a bad way too spend 90 minute's.

Now watching.

Old 19th April 2022, 10:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fangs. 1974.

A snake collector begins to be shunned by the small townsfolk and uses his pets to exact revenge on them.

Les Treymane plays the lead character Snakey Bender who hires a couple of kids to get live rodents for his snakes and seems to be the joke of everyone around him and seems to have a thing for Wednesdays. The acting isn't great but it's not terrible either. There is a nice little strip show and a woman getting turned on by holding a snake over her body. In fairness there is very little suspense but it's actually a enjoyable flick.

285386_large.jpg
Old 19th April 2022, 11:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Fangs. 1974.

A snake collector begins to be shunned by the small townsfolk and uses his pets to exact revenge on them.

Les Treymane plays the lead character Snakey Bender who hires a couple of kids to get live rodents for his snakes and seems to be the joke of everyone around him and seems to have a thing for Wednesdays. The acting isn't great but it's not terrible either. There is a nice little strip show and a woman getting turned on by holding a snake over her body. In fairness there is very little suspense but it's actually a enjoyable flick.

Attachment 239816
I'm sold at the name Snakey Bender!
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th April 2022, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I'm sold at the name Snakey Bender!
Surprisingly that's what sold it for me to watch when I looked it up
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th April 2022, 01:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

VIY. 1967.

A young priest is ordered to preside a wake over a young deceased girl for three days inside a small wooden church.

Something different from the 60s, this does have a somewhat dark element to it and a small church that is the main building in the story, aside from being a horror this does have a comedic tone to it and dubbing that seems all over the place so a subtitled version may have been better. The film isn't exactly perfect and done on a low budget with a flying coffin and outside back scenery looks like a canvas painting but certainly enjoyable.

viy.jpeg
Old 20th April 2022, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dachra. 2018.

Three student journalists, Yasmine, Bilel and Walid are tasked to find a story, they hear of a woman in a mental hospital who may be a witch and follow her story and one uncovers a secret from their past.

I have never heard of this film so went into it not knowing anything about it, filmed in Tunisa and subtitled, this is a story of dwelling in to the unknown and finding answers that should never be discovered. The characters are basically ones that need a good attitude adjustment and slapped yet we can only think on how they will escape the nightmare they are in. This does have a good twist and turns and a bleak atmosphere tone. It can have one or two upsetting moments especially with a newborn baby nut worth checking out.

MV5BZTFkYWZkNTUtZGJlOC00MmE1LWEzZmMtNGJhZWU1NDFiYzE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUyNjYzNTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 20th April 2022, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Puppet Master. 1989.

Andre Toulon who found a secret to bring his puppet to life during the 1940s. present day a group of psychics arrive at a house of a colleague who committed suicide and used Toulon's secret to return while everyone is being stalked by the puppets.

This is always been one that I return to every so often when I can see it ( I don't own it but thanks to Shudder they have it and two other sequels). William Hickey who has a small role at the start plays the puppet maker and able to bring life to them. The acting may not get better with every viewing but certainly enjoyable and going with what they can to make the puppets look alive that seems like stop motion for the up close scenes. Still it kept me quiet.

MV5BMTQ1ODM1MDg3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE0NTYzNQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th April 2022, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After a number of brutal rapes and murders on young women in a small town , the local doctor who has a very good unhealthy relationship towards his daughter , sets out too investigate and soon thinks it could have something to do with his daughters boyfriend who has having nightmares of the rapes. But something more evil and sinister is at work a demon with a huge slong that has red sperm.

It's quite slow paced in places but we have some brutal and disturbing rape/murder scenes.
Ok but something I don't think I'll go back to.

A piece of 50s B-movie sci-fi, after the death of a scientist , another scientist is approached by a alien that has taking of the body of dead scientist and is told the earth must surrender the in 24 hours or be destroyed.

The scientist is at first not believed but when accidents start happening and the aliens raise the dead from their graves the world takes notice and fights to survive.

Enjoyable in the cheesy b movie way and at just over a hour it didnt outstay it's welcome.

Now watching.

Old 20th April 2022, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Puppet master II. 1990.

Researchers of the paranormal fall foul to the evil puppets of Toulon who extract brain fluid in order for him to use in re-animation.

In the first, Toulon seems to be a gentle man like someones granddad, but in this he is a evil son of a bitch, mind you he did look like he was dressed up as The Invisible Man. Having the same bandages and googles suppose that would drive anyone insane. Leech-Girl, Blade, Pinhead and Tunneler show up as the puppets and new edition Torch almost looking like a Nazi. I would say this one was a bit more interesting and how Toulon got the secret to bring puppets to life is revealed. Worth a watch.

MV5BYjQyM2ZkYjktOTk2Zi00Zjc1LTk1NTYtYTY2YmI5M2IyYzAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!