All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Drive Angry (2011)

Loopy as f*ck action fest in which Nic Cage plays John Milton who escapes from hell to track down a satanic cult who murdered his daughter and took her baby. However Satan sends 'the Accountant' to Earth to track down Milton.

Seen this a couple of times now and it's riotously entertaining. Cage is on top, top form - witness the scene as he takes out a motel room full of bad guys as a blonde rides his ultimately getting the ride of her life when Cage is zapped with a cattle prod...okay it's so mad you couldn't make it up but it works brilliantly and roars by at an astonishing pace.

The only thing better than Cage in this film is William Fichtner who plays 'The Accountant', underplaying yet stealing each and every single scene he's in.

As one of the examples of modern Grindhouse film making that became a 'thing' around this time along with the likes of Hobo With A Shotgun, Crank, Tucker and Dale Versus Evil, the Machete films, Drive Angry remains so much fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 20th April 2022, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge. 1991.

Berlin during WWII, The Nazi regime is looking for a drug that can re-animate the dead, Toulon and his puppets come under suspicion that his creations can move without strings. When his wife is murdered, Toulon vows revenge with the help of his friends.

This was a interesting entry into the franchise, Guy Rolfe plays another doll maker like his role in the 1986 film Dolls along with his wife played by Sarah Douglas who show off their stage shows to children. Richard Lynch plays the German Officer Major Kraus who wants the serum used to bring things back to life. This has gone back to the same character as William Hickey from the first film, the old gentle man and not a psycho and this one introduces us the the 6-arm gun shooting cowboy.

34905-puppet-master-iii-toulon-s-revenge-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
Old 21st April 2022, 08:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Space Is The Place (1974, John Coney)

Easily one of the stranger SF flicks I've seen. When Herman Blount plays up a storm in a nightclub, he finds solace in the hope of better things to come.
Sun Ra's rather oblique take on separatism is a rough wee ride. The music is fun certainly. Was worth the wait tbh, and was kept me far more involved than any bloated Hypocritewood "epic".

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st April 2022, 06:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Three terrific Batman films from director Christopher Nolan. Batman Begins was pretty much copied by the excellent series Gotham although Nolan told the story in two and a half hours rather than five series.

The Dark Knight
boasts a truly exceptional performance by the no longer with us Heath Ledger as the Joker and his Oscar given posthumously was richly deserved. The film does tend to lag when Ledger is captured and the focus turns to the less screen scorching Harvey Dent / Two Face.

I'd forgotten how good The Dark Knight Rises actually was. Tom Hardy as the ruthless Bane is almost the equal of Ledger in the compelling viewing stakes, unfortunately Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is underused so she never comes close to Michelle Pfeiffer's unforgettable performance in Batman Returns (1991). The final forty minutes is genuinely gripping cinema.

All three of Christopher Nolan's film have outstanding ensemble casts including Christian Bale as Batman, Michael Caine as his loyal butler Alfred, Gary Oldman as James Gordon, Liam Neeson as Ra's al Ghul, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox...and that's before we get to Maggie Gyllenhaal, Katie Holmes, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Rutger Hauer and Cillian Murphy.

There isn't a single superhero film since these that have even come anywhere near to being as good in my opinion.
Old 21st April 2022, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Comes of across as mixture of blood from the mummy tomb and the omen , chuck Heston plays a archeologist who discovers the tomb of a Egyptian princess opening the tomb it's spirit possess the body of his newly born daughter , 18 years later the spirit starts taking control and people start dying , first chuck is reluctant to think his daughter is involved but he soon releases she is no longer his daughter and he has to kill her.

Enjoyable if a little slow paced.

A very well acted and creepy film , all the population of a small village all collapses all at once hours later they awakening, days later we find all the woman are pregnant, they all give birth at same time to children with blond hair and strange eyes , the children grow rapidly and are highly intelligent and have strange powers , can these evil imps be stopped?

Greorge Sanders and Barbara Shelly are the parents of the leader of the children.

Now watching

Followed by.

Old 21st April 2022, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Virus-32. 2022.

A fast acting virus turns people into zombies, a woman working in a old leisure facility tries to protect her daughter, meets a man Luis who is also seeking shelter.

A new film from Argentina that seems to follow the ways of 28 Days later with people turning very quickly and fast running zombies, this did have some good tense moments and decent acting aside from the subtitles. It does start off very slowly for the first 15-20 minutes then jumps straight in to the action, great cinematography and direction with a decent background score. Recommended.

MV5BMDA1NDMyNDMtOTQ4MS00ZGQzLTgyOGEtYWI4M2MyODg0YjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDEyMTQzNw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 21st April 2022, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

@Trebor - I have the same Village / Children dvd as you have and have watched both films once.

I thought Village was outstanding but was really disappointed with Children. However for some reason despite that it's really stuck with me surprisingly more so than Village.

I think it was the weird Quatermass vibe it has with the children taking over the church and the authorities en mass outside.

Look forward to watching both again, all that's stopping me is that i want them both on Blu so will have to wait for the next Premium Collection promotion which i'm guessing if like last year is July.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Host. 2020.

A group of friends decide to do a online zoom seance and welcome a demonic presence.

Someone came up with a good idea on how to pass time during lockdown make a movie with a twist and not leave the comfort of their own home. for a film that's only 56 minutes it doesn't take long to get in to the seance but nothing big seems to happen to the last 20 minutes and all hell breaks loose. At the start the actors do a convincing job with their characters and don't take things seriously until they realise it isn't a prank. if you have a hour to kill then this will help pass time away.

220px-Host_%28film%29.jpg
Old 22nd April 2022, 01:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kandisha. 2020.

Amelie, Bintou and Morjana all hang out together during the summer spray painting, they come across a name Kandisha, a demon's name. Amelie is attacked by her ex and summons the demon, only then she and her friends realise the demons wants six souls.

Based on the old Moroccan urban legend, this was a interesting film by the makers of Livid and Inside and they do pull out everything on the gore card for the killings and can be fist wrenching. Mathilde Lamusse, Suzy Bemba and Samarcande Saadi who play the leads do a decent part and Meriem Sarolie plays the demon that is summoned like a Turkish belly dancer that isn't afraid to show her body. It does have the near same ending like a 1992 film but this was better than I thought it would be from the trailer. Worth a watch. (subtitled)

MV5BNGIzMTEzYWUtMjBiMy00MWQ0LWI2YjYtNmIyM2Y4ZjM3NDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk0OTYzNjQ@._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd April 2022, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fourth Protocol. 1987.

A British Spy has to stop a Russian K.G.B agent from detonating a bomb at a American air base in Enland.

This film I have always enjoyed especially with two great leads by Michael Caine as the British spy John Preston and Russian Agent Valeri Petrofsky played by Pierce Brosnan. Frederick Forsyth who wrote the source novel co-wrote this and managed to bring his characters to the screen even though there is more character build up with plenty of talking which can drag on for longer than necessary. It does have the feel of being a T.V movie and a predictable ending but interesting how it all plays out, with a good cast including Michael Gough, Joanna Cassidy, Ned Beatty and Julian Glover.

MV5BMTYwMzg3OTY1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTQwMzQ5._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!