All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2022, 04:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011)

Probably my favourite of the Wrong Turn series although some of the writing and dialogue lets it down at times, especially the decision making of the protagonists.

As with all these films it's the gore that attracts the viewers and Wrong Turn 4 has it in spades with some really well executed kill sequences which in turn captivate and repulse at the same time. The camera is happy to ogle the neck slicing's, limb ripping, decapitations and cannibalism in gruesome close up much to my delight. In fact i'm quite sure had this been released during the early eighties it would easily have gone down in cult cinema folklore as a video nasty, been banned by the British censors and been heralded in the same terms as much of the other gory fun we've all come to love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrong-Turn-4.jpg (66.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 25th April 2022, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ringu. 1998.

A journalist investigates a cursed tape that whoever watches it dies within 7 days.

One of the original and best creepy horror films to come from Asia, this doesn't rely on gore or blood splatter but quick blink and miss moments with good cinematography and direction, combined with Asian folklore and acting. The 2002 remake was good IMO but lacked some of the suspense, just a shame the Scary Movie makers had to rip it off.

050127051439_l.jpg
Old 25th April 2022, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Snake Eater II: The Drug Buster (1989)

Snake Eater III: His Law (1992, both George Erschbamer)

Back with the Renegade ahem ...
The two sequels are equally as Exploitative, with the third just edging ahead due to a nastier tone in general.

Lamas yet again just doesn't grab your attention as the main lead, like giving your favourite house plant the lead role ahem.
But the films themselves are rack full of fun stuff all done at that second tier level harumph.
Inner city crime and scuzzy bikers if you want details. So overall, I would say that the 3rd flick would be the one I'd recommend. There's a small overhaul of the structure that pleased the demon greatly in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snake_eater_2_movie_poster.jpg (31.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SE3.jpg (101.2 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th April 2022, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Ringu. 1998.

A journalist investigates a cursed tape that whoever watches it dies within 7 days.

One of the original and best creepy horror films to come from Asia, this doesn't rely on gore or blood splatter but quick blink and miss moments with good cinematography and direction, combined with Asian folklore and acting. The 2002 remake was good IMO but lacked some of the suspense, just a shame the Scary Movie makers had to rip it off.

Attachment 239912

To be honest, I preferred their "coming out of the tv" bit to the remake attempt ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th April 2022, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Started on No Time to Die last night. Turned it off after 45 minutes. Dear God, when did Bond get so BORING?!
Old 25th April 2022, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Started on No Time to Die last night. Turned it off after 45 minutes. Dear God, when did Bond get so BORING?!
Give it a chance, it's a lot better than Quantum of Solace
Old 25th April 2022, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Robowar. 1988.

A group of mercenaries are sent to a jungle to rescue prisoners who have been captured and encounter a hostile enemy.

From the Italians we have had knock offs from The Exorcist, Jaws, Terminator, Aliens so why not rip-off Predator, or that's what Bruno Mattei thought. Is it just me or did they also sneak in some dialogue from Predator and almost create their version of Robocop as well. Reb Brown seems to be in the role that Arnie played along with some intentionally funny/goofy moments that I couldn't take seriously yet I still watched it all the way to the end.

Attachment 239809
There's a box set somewhere, ones that contain Vincent Dawn/Italian Rip-Offs
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 25th April 2022, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Because Daniel Craig is far too serious. Connery, Moore and Brosnan interjected some humor into it.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 25th April 2022, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

Sorry but this mess is as far away from the first couple of Die Hard films as you can get.

Yes there are a couple of excellent action set pieces during the films first half but as it approaches the finale it becomes ever more tedious with cretinous dialogue, if you can call it that, of single word exclamations such as "F*ck", "Shit", "John" and "Jack". Whilst the villains are so unmemorable and poorly written they make you long for Die Hard 4's Timothy Olyphant, never mind the classic villains of the first three films.

Bruce Willis simply goes through the motions and co-star Jai Courtney has no motions to go through.

That was my third watch of A Good Day to Die Hard and it really doesn't get any better.
Old 25th April 2022, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ring 2. 1999.

Journalist Reiko takes her son Yoichi into hiding to escape the cursed video tape. Mai Tanako learns of the video tape after her professor has died and goes in search of Reiko and stop the spirit of Sadako.

This starts off right where the first film ends and seemed to start off pretty well then kind of goes to shifting of characters and goes at a snail pace and focuses on Yoichi and a psychic ability. 95 minutes long but this film seemed longer and slowly looses my interest then peaked up again. Did the director loose interest in giving up the good amount on tension there was in the first film.

s-l400.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!