Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2022, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deep Red. 1975.

A Jazz pianist and and a journalist team up to uncover the death of a psychic.

This appeared on Shudder T.V. so thought I'd watch it with the Mrs, told her it be a murder mystery without telling her who directed it, for me this is classic Dario at his best teaming with David Hemmings as the pianist teaming with Daria Nicolodi with the clapped out car that almost falls apart. The killings are done perfectly even with the creepy background score, this gets better and better with every viewing, for the Mrs it was good just a tad slow but can tell she enjoyed another Dario film.

MV5BZDk5ZTA4MWUtZTQ3My00ZGY3LThmNDctNWQyNDYzODZkZmZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg
Old 4th May 2022, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In a small town there have been a number of murders , the town is divided into two Half's Shadyside were the poorer live and Sunnydale sorry Sunnyvale which hate each others , it soon becomes apparent that the killings are more than local wackos and supernatural in nature and is linked too the town's past.

A love letter to all those slasher classic with lots of little nods towards them. A lot better than I was expecting and looking forward to watch the next two parts. The only small downside was the main character who was such a selfish cow.

Up tonight .

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th May 2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 4th May 2022, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Insidious: Chapter 3. 2015.

Before Elise helps The Lambert's, a young girl Quinn wants to contact her deceased mother but Elise feels she has contacted a darker entity. When Quinn becomes housebound due to a accident she becomes a easy target.

This is the prequel we may have not wanted but we got it and had very little expectations the first time I watched this. Leigh Whannell takes sole credit for writer and director and gives us something different with a few more jumps scares. The main entity backstory is never really revealed but it's one of those characters that do we want to know the back story.

Stefanie Scott and Dermot Mulroney plays the father and daughter Sean and Quinn and able to pull off the struggling family with Tate Berney playing the little brother Alex. Leigh Whannell, Angus Sampson and Lin Shaye return which shows how they were able to create the partnership. This was a decent entry into the franchise.

Attachment 240053
After I've finished fear street trilogy think I'll give these a watch as only seen the first.

Also anyone seen a group of films about a doll called Robert as noticed these on netflix and might give them a try.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th May 2022, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've got the first one, but haven't perused it yet, so that's no help is it?
Susan Foreman likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2022, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I've got the first one, but haven't perused it yet, so that's no help is it?
Well as they not costing me anything will try them but will have to wait too Saturday as that's when they add the first bit strange as all it's sequels are already on.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th May 2022, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
After I've finished fear street trilogy think I'll give these a watch as only seen the first.

Also anyone seen a group of films about a doll called Robert as noticed these on netflix and might give them a try.
I noticed them as well, never actually seen them, saw a trailer and looks like a British version of Chucky, meant to be based on the true story of Robert Otto but more cash in on the name like Annabelle.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Odd Thomas. 2013.

In a small Californian town, a small cook with psychic abilities encounters someone that may unleash hell on earth.

A film that didn't really seem appealing to me but this actually surprised me, Anton Yelchin plays the cook Thomas who's name is actually Odd can see ghostly shape shifters and believes the end is coming and uses his abilities to stop it while being helped by detective Willem Dafoe and girlfriend Addison Timlin. Stephen Sommers done a good job directing this and a film that relies on CGI effects that work decently on this, based on the book by Dean Koontz, I haven't read it but can it be recommended?

Odd%20Thomas.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 5th May 2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hustlers

Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu are Strippers who lead other girls into drugging and robbing customers. Julia Styles is a Reporter who interviews them. There was a some buzz regarding Lopez being nominated for an Oscar for her role but I didn't really see it. TBH, the thing I found with this Movie was, you wasn't really rooting for the girls which I think the creators were looking for.

Cannonball Run II

More of the same from the original with most of the cast returning. the Sheik's Dad is furious with him so orders another race in order to regain their respect. More slapstick and tomfoolery in an entertaining Sequel. I like the Italian Mobsters using sort of Wil E Coyote tactics to abduct the Sheik's Son in order to steal the prize money.

A blast from the past regarding the distributer of the Rental Release, Channel 5(Not the TV Channel) real old school there.

Valentines Day

Star studded Film which has separate stories set on Valentines Day which sometimes merge with each other and/or have surprising outcomes. I know that this isn't going to be people's cup of Tea but I enjoyed it, it breezes through its 1hr 50 minute running time and it was undemanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.jpg (13.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cr2.jpg (15.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vd.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th May 2022, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Hustlers

Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu are Strippers who lead other girls into drugging and robbing customers. Julia Styles is a Reporter who interviews them. There was a some buzz regarding Lopez being nominated for an Oscar for her role but I didn't really see it. TBH, the thing I found with this Movie was, you wasn't really rooting for the girls which I think the creators were looking for.
I thought Hustlers was a total ****ing abomination. One of the worst films i've ever sat through in recent memory.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 5th May 2022, 04:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Loch Ness Horror. 1982.

Deaths have been happening around the famous Loch of Scotland, a scientist wants to find a egg and exploit it and the monster. A plane from WWII is near the supposedly lair of the monster with treasure yet the military try to cover it up.

Was this a homage to some of the bad 1950s B movies or something and was the director having a laugh? Filmed entirely around Lake Tahoe obviously it seems to resemble Loch Ness...somehow? A bunch of American actors and actresses that seem to think they can put on a Scottish accent that's really bad, one actresses sounded more Irish than Scottish. We do see the monster or more like the head and neck of it that looks rubber that can breath out steam. Beneath Loch Ness 2001 was not a great movie but is a lot better than this film.

Loch%2BNess%2BHorror%2C%2BThe%2B(1981).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!