Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2022, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robotrix (1991, Jamie Luk)

Amy Yip heads the cast here in this charming fun fest.
When a bad man transplants his essence into an android, what's a female copper to do? Kick some man ass
Such a sleazy wee flick this one. A real time capsule.
Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robotrix.jpg (77.7 KB, 6 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th May 2022, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taking place straight after the end of the first move our survivors go on see the only survivor of the last attack hoping they can help them with there friend who they think is possessed by the witch.

The story is told what happened in 78 at a summer camp, heavily influenced by Friday the 13th with some great gory kills and answering some questions but bringing up more.

Like the last movie this tales place when the last one ended, here the main girl has found the witches bones and when touching them is giving a vision into the past from the witches eyes leading too that the so-called witch is not evil or a witch an someone else is responsible for all the town's problems through the ages.

The last act comes back to modern times as our heroes set out to destroy who has been causing all the trouble. This one is influenced by films like the witch, witch finder general.

Have to say I really enjoyed all three movies, was a little surprised that these are based on novels by RL Stine of goosebumps fame, but I suppose all his fans from books TV show will be adults now so bound to write something a lot more adult.

Now watching

Followed by.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I enjoyed the Fear Street trilogy as well, all three of them bringing something different, post-modern in the first, camp slasher in the second and folk horror in the third. Great soundtracks as well!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th May 2022, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I enjoyed the Fear Street trilogy as well, all three of them bringing something different, post-modern in the first, camp slasher in the second and folk horror in the third. Great soundtracks as well!
Forgot to mention soundtracks , first great 90s soundtrack and second great 70s soundtrack. Seems to have left it open for another movie. I do recommend them to any horror fan as you said all quite different, a lot better than a lot of modern horror.
Justin101 and iank like this.
Old 6th May 2022, 03:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Waterworld (1995)

A first time viewing of the three hour Ulysses cut and i loved it. I love the film anyway since seeing it in the cinema on it's release. Watching the all action Waterworld show at Universal Studios brought more love for the film as well.

If the film in it's original 135 minute format is a four star then this longer cut which adds more character development as well as more violence and language as well as one or two key scenes brings it closer to five stars.

What i did appreciate more was how this longer version brings out the unlikeability of star Kevin Costner's character, the Mariner. He's a complete dick towards his reluctant passengers (Jeanne Tripplehorn and Tina Majorino's young girl) although he does redeem himself in the final third.

The films flaws haven't really changed. It's still Mad Max on the seas and Dennis Hopper's villain, The Deacon, remains under used and when he is on screen he still chews scenery like a cow chews grass.

During the final reels when the Mariner and the survivors find dry land my reaction on seeing the island was "Holy shit! They've landed on Isla Nublar. Wait until they find out!" Both being Universal films it probably is the same island as Jurassic Park.

However the pros far outweigh the cons. Waterworld is an ambitious achievement. It's money guzzling built on the water sets are a joy to behold and unlike so many of todays films which insist on green screen filming this looks and feels so much better than them and it also looks the business on Blu-ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waterworld.jpg (19.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th May 2022, 04:11 PM
Cult Veteran

Love a bit of Waterworld! I can't remember if I watched the Ulysses version last time I saw it, I'm sure I did though
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 6th May 2022, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Love a bit of Waterworld! I can't remember if I watched the Ulysses version last time I saw it, I'm sure I did though
Thought i might watch the theatrical cut on Sunday evening.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 6th May 2022, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So I watched this then ...

The Corpse Eaters (1974, Donald R. Passmore/ Klaus Vetter)

... and felt that whilst the opening kept me on tenterhooks for Judith Chalmers, when they decide on a rather unholiday activity that things start to go sour
and how .
Yes Frankie, that score is very evocative of an era certainly
Considering the print looks, er, grubby is being diplomatic. AGFA!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th May 2022, 01:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Scream (2022)

I've been fairly quiet in my horror reviews this week as i've been having a Scream marathon. Beginning with Scream (1996) on Monday, Scream 2 (1997) on Tuesday, Scream 3 (2000) on Wednesday and Scream 4 (2011) on Thursday culminating with a first time viewing for the all new Scream (2022) the first of the franchise not to be directed by the sadly no longer with us Wes Craven.

In Wes' difficult to fill shoes come Radio Silence, also known as Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, the creative minds behind Ready or Not, Southbound and VHS. To my mind they have done an excellent job as i really enjoyed Scream or Scream 5 as it should be known seeing as it's not a reboot, remake, prequel or anything else but a continuation from Scream 4 albeit ten years later.

Taking place twenty five years after the original Woodsboro murders, another Ghostface begins targeting the teens of the town, teens who all seemingly have some connection to the original killing spree.

Returning regulars include Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott, Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers and an excellent David Arquette as the now retired Dewey Riley as well as Marley Shelton from Scream 4 as Sheriff Hicks alongside a strong selection of newbies including Melissa Barrera, Jenna Ortega and Jack Quaid who was familiar to me from the fantastic anti-superhero series The Boys. Although the new cast members are very good it's Campbell, Cox and Arquette we've all come back to see and they don't disappoint. I'm not sure it was due to the marathon watch of the series but there seemed to be some beautifully poignant moments between the three, not to mention a shock or two that were like gut punches as the film went on.

Scream 5 is perhaps a faster paced film than any of the others. It's extremely self referential and slyly pokes fun at emo horror such as The Babadook, it's also quite often rather funny. Aside from the opening of the original 1996 film Scream movies aren't all that scary in truth but Scream 5 has it's fair share of shocks, more so than any of the other sequels and it certainly ups the gore content considerably. There's a beautiful Savini-esq knife through the neck murder which is shown in loving slasher detail and is well worth seeing

I'm sure Scream 5 works best if you are familiar with the rest of the series so having a Scream marathon really worked for me. There's a lot i haven't mentioned from the latest installment - plot details, cameos, horror in joke asides - which deserve to remain unspoiled, so i'll end by saying i thought Scream or Scream 5 was terrific. I had a lot of fun watching it, with shocks, laughs and almost tears along the way.
Old 7th May 2022, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran

I’m glad you enjoyed it, I really quite liked it as well when I watched it and I’m looking forward to a rewatch.

Having watched all 5 in succession, is the 3rd instalment still the low point? I watched the original 3 late last year on iTunes and because I couldn’t be bothered to look for Scream 4 in my boxes I skipped it and went straight to 5 lol… it’s been years since I watched that one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!