Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179434Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2022, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Deep House (2021, Bustillo/ Maury)

When this started with them in the Ukraine, I sagged visibly
But we then shift to France (phew), where our young lovers find a local willing to show them a more secluded spot to do that scuba thing.
Absolutely non Lovecraftian caper centred around urbex Youtubers.
Some elements worked, some were cliched AF.
Not their best work.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th May 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Burning (1981)

A derivative rip off of Friday the 13th (1980) with even less interesting characters and bog standard direction than the majority of that series of films. In all honesty, Tom Savini's brilliant gore effects work aside, The Burning is pretty shit.

Bizarre thing is i knew this already so why did i buy it on Blu-ray last week?
Old 31st May 2022, 07:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Burning (1981)

A derivative rip off of Friday the 13th (1980) with even less interesting characters and bog standard direction than the majority of that series of films. In all honesty, Tom Savini's brilliant gore effects work aside, The Burning is pretty shit.

Bizarre thing is i knew this already so why did i buy it on Blu-ray last week?
HUG. It just has "something" though doesn't it? .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st May 2022, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Godzilla (2014)

I was rather enjoying this until director Gareth Edwards decided to film the final hour including all the Godzilla vs the MUTO's action in thick black smoke and total darkness.

I zoned out in double quick time and fast forwarded parts - F*cking waste of time!

Thankfully Michael Dougherty actually knew how to make a giant monster movie when he was recruited to make the superb follow up Godzilla: King of the Monsters five years later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (57.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st May 2022, 01:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Godzilla (2014)

I was rather enjoying this until director Gareth Edwards decided to film the final hour including all the Godzilla vs the MUTO's action in thick black smoke and total darkness.

I zoned out in double quick time and fast forwarded parts - F*cking waste of time!

Thankfully Michael Dougherty actually knew how to make a giant monster movie when he was recruited to make the superb follow up Godzilla: King of the Monsters five years later.
I used to have:
Godzilla - 1954
Godzilla - 1998
Godzilla - 2014
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - 2019

Then one day I came to my senses, and now I only have
Godzilla - 1954

Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 31st May 2022, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Red Sonja. 1985.

A female warrior goes on a crusade of revenge against the evil tyrant queen

Big Arnie dons the medieval warrior persona but this time only as a co-star even though he gets top billing this film isn't about him, this is about Brigitte Nielsen who stars as the Warrior Sonja. Conan's co star Sandahl Bergman plays the evil queen Gendren who is wanting the rule the world with the help of a talisman. Paul L. Smith plays the bodyguard and man servant to Prince Ernie Reyes Jr who seems a bit spoilt.

May not be the best film, Arnie thinking he should be the main attraction, the fight scenes seem a bit far in between, too much and too long talking going on and the end fight was decent but seemed a bit rushed, sadly this still entertains me and keeps me quiet for a bit.

MV5BMjIzMDk2NTcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzUxMTM4NA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 31st May 2022, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Assault On Precinct 13. 1976.

A police Lieutenant, two secretary's and two criminals join forces when a defunct police station comes under siege by a gang of gun welding thugs.

Classic John Carpenter action film that gives you the plot set up and good character build up from Austin Stoker playing Lieutenant Bishop starting his night shift and gets relocated to help with a clear up of a old station. Darwin Joston plays the main criminal Wilson. Charles Cyphers shows up in a small role as Starker who is doing the prisoner transfer. This has always entertained me with the plot,, the acting, the shootouts and the background score by Carpenter. The second sight BD release is awesome, better picture quality and sound

unnamed (2).jpg
Old 1st June 2022, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man. 1976.

Two guys Fred and Tony work for a special branch in Rome and live on the edge of jobs that are dangerous.

This is the first time seeing this and had no idea what I was going into with this, from the start we are thrown into a bag snatching gone wrong and a good motorbike chase then back to the office and flirt with the secretary, nothing like a good chase to get your own motor running. All the way through I kept thinking this is like a Italian version of The professionals but with a feature film.

Mark Porel and Ray Lovestock play the two good guys who shoot first and talk later with Adolfo Celi playing their boss who seems laid back a bit and let them do their job. Ruggero Deodato is able to make a decent action crime thriller and does have his tendencies to keep the innocent must suffer routine in this. Would certainly watch this again.

MV5BNWFlYmYzYmEtYTliNi00NzA1LTgwZDEtNjAyODI0Y2EwNTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MzQ4MTc0._V1_.jpg
Old 1st June 2022, 04:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Asylum. 1972.

Young Doctor goes for a interview at a private psychiatric hospital, only to be told he can have the job if he can identify Doctor Starr who is a patient there and is told stories by the patients on how they got there.

Another Amicus anthology film With Robert Powell playing the young Doctor Martin and Patrick Magee as the older interviewer Doctor Rutherford. The segments are brilliant shot and each with a twist, The Weird Tailor I have always loved that segment only because Peter Cushing plays the sinister customer. The BD version is certainly a nice upgrade to view just a shame the reverse cover is a bit of a let down.

p38716_p_v8_aa.jpg
Old 1st June 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Godzilla (2014)

I really don't get this film. Its like it goes out of the way to actually keep Godzilla off screen. I was really surprised when Gareth Edwards next movie Rogue One (which I had low expectations for) turned out to be the best of the modern Star Wars films by a mile.

Like this? Share it using the links below!