All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Eaten Alive. 1980.

A woman teams up with a mercenary and travels to New Guinea to find her sister who has joined a religious cult that is surrounded by a tribe of cannibals.

This is not Lenzi's greatest achievement movie and uses footage from other cannibal films but still entertains and Jim jones and his Jonestown dream may have been the inspiration for Ivan Rassimov as the religious fanatic. Janet Argen plays Sheila who hires Robert Kerman to find her sister Paola Senatore who has joined the cult. Is it just me or was Mel Ferrer's voice dubbed one moment then his actual voice is heard? At least there is a upside of Me Me Lai appearing on screen half naked.

Attachment 240452
Not going to lie, I'm shocked that this one hasn't had the Shameless or 88 Films treatment. I believe that the last UK release was that Vipco Screamtime release.

Other than the Animal stuff, could it be that they think that some of the other scenes will be cut as well possibly Agren being drugged and assaulted and/or her Sister's death scene.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Grifters (1990)

An enjoyable neo-noir about three con artists - John Cusack, Angelica Huston and Annette Bening - whose lives are drawn together due to Cusack's hospitalisation following a grift gone wrong.

It's an entertaining film with several scenes of proper brutality as well as full frontal nudity from Bening, however the overall feel is of a bleak movie, none of the characters are sympathetic and it's all pretty grimy.

I finally got round to watching the 101 Films Black Label limited edition Blu-ray and i wasn't impressed. The picture quality is average at best, soft to look at without any depth. I'd say this is one of the worst examples of HD i've come across. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if it were simply a dvd upscale.

Had i not sold my dvd when i originally bought this several years ago i'd have got rid of this Blu-ray.
To be fair, most of the original author's characters aren't really that ... hospitable tbh. He also wrote The Killer Inside Me if that helps cough. Jim Thompson. Recommended. You want hard boiled etc. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Not going to lie, I'm shocked that this one hasn't had the Shameless or 88 Films treatment. I believe that the last UK release was that Vipco Screamtime release.

Other than the Animal stuff, could it be that they think that some of the other scenes will be cut as well possibly Agren being drugged and assaulted and/or her Sister's death scene.
Shameless have released Mountain Of The Cannibal God, Cannibal Holocaust and Ferox, they might snap up this one at some point.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Relic. 1997.

A homicide detective and a anthropologist team up to discover a previous murder leads them to a new exhibition that opens up in a museum where the killer may be and it may not be human.

If Anything Zombie Flesh Eaters and Contamination have taught us, if a boat turns up with no crew or everyone is dead, you know the shit is about to hit the fan and not just in a small way. The stowaway in this just happens to be a big man-eating lizard that has been worshiped as a god from South America.

Tom SIzemore plays the detective teaming up with Penelope Ann Miller to uncover who is doing all these killings and when it turns out it's a creature, Sizemore does ask the best question "how do we kill it" and gets the best answer "got no idea" then start getting creative. Peter Hyams does create a good build up of suppense and tense moments and added in the dread of claustrophobia, only bad thing is part of it filmed in low lighting and a bit of a strain on the eyes.

large_jD853TWyJYuksMldrFWaXMovRg0.jpg
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just watched I Walked with a Zombie (1943) on BBC4.

I sat down hoping to watch it in glorious HD but sadly it was a fairly tired looking print which was i think worse then the dvd. So i turned it off.

Did i hell as like. I sat there and watched it and loved every single minute of it.

That's what you do with your favourite films i guess.

Please someone afford this some 1080P love. You can even shove a poster, cards and booklet in and charge fifty quid. I'll still buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (100.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd June 2022, 03:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After watching some of a film that's really not suitable to watch while at work I decided to watch this.

Assault. 1971.

A school girl is raped and murdered in the woods taking a short cut home, a few days later another girl is murdered, the police and a reporter team up to find the culprit.

Peter rogers who produced the Carry On films took a break from them and created this film from the novel by Kendal Young (which I haven't read). Most of the violence is done off screen, we do see the aftermath of the dead body with a shirt ripped open and bra exposed, a teacher getting a bit hands on while a girl is on a stool but that's as far as things go.

Suzy Kendall plays the art teacher who becomes bait to lure out the sexual predator, Frank Finlay plays the baffled detective on the case and Freddie Jones as the reporter who may be a ideal help. There is some twist and turns along the way but the acting is not the best at times but certainly helped pass time.

MV5BMTQ3MjU5NzQyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk3Njc0MQ@@._V1_.jpg

(This went under the title In The Devil's Garden)
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sadness. 2021.

During the midst of a virus breakout turning people into blood thirsty sadists, a young couple try to find each other and survive.

After a few posts about this film I finally checked this out and fook me the Japanese really go full blown no holds barred with this, total gore fest with this film. This is certainly one to watch, good effects and make up used and plenty of tense moments in this. From the start we are thrown into the character build up from the two main stars and then thrown into the midst of the outbreak and hell of surviving.

The-Sadness-Poster.jpg

Have a good day all

Last edited by MrBarlow; 4th June 2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 3rd June 2022, 02:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just watched I Walked with a Zombie (1943) on BBC4.

I sat down hoping to watch it in glorious HD but sadly it was a fairly tired looking print which was i think worse then the dvd. So i turned it off.

Did i hell as like. I sat there and watched it and loved every single minute of it.

That's what you do with your favourite films i guess.

Please someone afford this some 1080P love. You can even shove a poster, cards and booklet in and charge fifty quid. I'll still buy it.
I watched the movie and Cat People before. Yes, tired prints. Same prints they showed in the BBC2 double bill days expect. That was probably the last time they put them on.
A good nights viewing though.
Old 3rd June 2022, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I watched the movie and Cat People before. Yes, tired prints. Same prints they showed in the BBC2 double bill days expect. That was probably the last time they put them on.
A good nights viewing though.
I didn't watch Cat People having only seen the Criterion Blu a few months ago.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mulberry Street. 2006.

A virus break out in a part of Manhattan, tenants of a run down building try to survive the night.

Whoever said rats carry diseases were right but the rats in this film don't just carry diseases, they can turn people slowly into giant humanoid rats that crave the hunger for fresh human blood. The make-up effects are decently done and shown going from a slow process from human to creature, the actors do a good job of making it believable that shit can happen at any time. Two bits of a downfall, at times the cinematography can seem a bit amateurish and parts used on a home camcorder and there is no explanation for the outbreak, aside from that it's a decent enough movie movie to sit through.

Mulberry_street_07.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!