Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2022, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Shakedown. 1988.

A narcotics street wise cop teams with a legal attorney to bring down corruption within the police force and go against a tough female District Attorney.

Peter Weller plays the smart attorney who is trying to help a troubled youth who allegedly killed a police officer who said it was self defense but other officers say it wasn't. Sam Elliott plays the street wise wrong place wrong time cop who wants to try and shake down corruption within his precinct and needs all the help he can get.

Both actors do try their best but at times Weller's performance seems wooden, not sure if he was told to be like that or not. Patricia Charbonneau plays the tough district attorney and ex partner of Weller, and some daft moments of a love triangle happens but doesn't really get thrown in our faces a lot. plenty of action and some good build up of tense moments.

Attachment 240587
Prefer it's other title Blue Jean Cop, Shakedown is too generic
Old 16th June 2022, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Rollerball. 2002.

You got Chris Klein as the main guy Jonathan, LL Cool J, Jean Reno and Rebecca Romjin in this what is there to hate...basically everything, corruption that gives things away at the start, not so great acting that almost becomes laughable. The first game, guy gets hit in the face with a ball, we see him going down slowly holding his face but no blood, think that was a bad goof to show the audience, decent thing about this film was the music.

Attachment 240660
Doesn't help that the actual game of Rollerball is quite boring

Future Sport, a rip off type starring Dean Cain is more enjoyable in my opinion
Old 16th June 2022, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil's Female. 1974.

A young girl in a boarding school becomes possessed.

Over the years we have had The Exorcist rip-off's from Abby, Seytan, Beyond The Door and The Return Of The Exorcist, what happens when Germany release their version, well you get this film.

Interesting start to the film a woman finds a man nailed to a door in resembling of Christ, then a young girl begins to show signs of possession, there is no turning heads, hot pea soup being projectiled but there is a masturbating scene done in the nude but without a cross. There is some good killings done but not the best, a dramatic background score that should belong in another movie and not bad acting, this is just about watchable.

MV5BYjYzYTllNGEtMDg2Zi00YTU2LTk4MGUtNjk0ODJmOTNkMTIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTg2NjYzOA@@._V1_QL75_UY281_.jpg
Old 16th June 2022, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A remake of the 1950 film starring Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, having never seen the original can't compare the two but this is easy going and inoffensive film while nothing brilliant is enjoyable and fun.

Absolutely brilliant a joy from start to finish a real blockbuster that we don't see that much of nowadays. That rare beast of a superior sequel a day one buy when it's out to buy. Really impressive and edge of the seat ride with the closing act.

Now watching.

Followed by.

Old 16th June 2022, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

American Rampage (1989, David Decoteau)

Yes, it was as bad as I'd hoped and more.
A series of events unfold chronologically. Thrilling or what?
Ahem. When two mismatched cops team up against the local druglord, all hell breaks loose .... well, that's what it says on the cover anyhow.
What you actually get is a bunch of stuff that only induces hilarity luckily. The dialogue all seems to be written with gritted teeth in mind, or maybe they all had constipation that month, who knows? Up there with Dangerous Men
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th June 2022, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
(David Decoteau)
Underrated film maker?? Probably haha, he makes very fun films

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th June 2022, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Followed by.

Brilliant Vampire flick, James Woods is awesome in this

Will you be watching the sequels?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th June 2022, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Calm. 1989.

John and Rae on a sailing trip after the death of their son, the pick up lone survivor Hugh from a sinking ship who claims the crew are dead due to food poisoning, but John thinks something else has happened.

All what you need is three actors, Sam Neil, Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane, one simple place is the open sea where the sea never gives up her dead and a dark atmosphere over it all. I'm not a huge Nicole Kidman fan but here she gives out a good performance of a stranded wife on a boat with psycho Billy Zane who is definitely unbalanced. Sam Neil is always great to watch who is marooned on a sinking ship and tries to stay alive, will admit on how they got rid of Zane's character was good.

22a1ca89-8db5-45ca-bef0-4d83bfbf1611.jpeg
Old 16th June 2022, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jurassic World: Dominion

Humans and Dinosaurs co-exist however a corrupt bio-company kidnaps the girl from Fallen Kingdom and Blue's offspring therefore it's up to the stars from both sets of Films to save the day.

The reports had this has meh and whilst it isn't great, it isn't that bad and there is a good movie wanting to burst out but there are too many storylines (Giant Locusts) weigh it down.

Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story

Apparently based the True Story of a 18 year old Girl (The Actress looked 28) who witnessed her Parents being murdered by a Tribe of Headhunters and subsequently kidnapped by them. She tries to escape but ends up having some sort of relationship with one of the Tribe.

One of the faux Cannibal Movies that came out to try to revive the genre and TBH, while it wasn't the best it was a passible way to spend 90 minutes and I did like that there was some twists and the Court Case that basically told the story was a nice touch. There was 2 scenes of Animal Violence but I believe it was stock footage and nothing like the previous cycle of Cannibal Films, it was similar to what you'd find in a Nature Documentary (Could have done without it but not up in arms with it)

Love the Theme Music as well as the Last Supper Documentary on the 88 Films Blu-Ray.

Hot Shots

Spoof on Top Gun starring Charlie Sheen, liked it when it 1st came out and whilst I enjoyed it at the beginning, it got a bit tiresome halfway through (Not good for a 80 Minute Film)

Rock Of Ages

Tom Cruise is the self-important Rock Star in this Film version of the Stage Show. Some really good songs had me tapping my feet in this Film that flopped but I find fun and undemanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jwd.jpg (10.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg hs.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg roa.jpg (15.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th June 2022, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A remake of the 1950 film starring Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, having never seen the original can't compare the two but this is easy going and inoffensive film while nothing brilliant is enjoyable and fun.

Absolutely brilliant a joy from start to finish a real blockbuster that we don't see that much of nowadays. That rare beast of a superior sequel a day one buy when it's out to buy. Really impressive and edge of the seat ride with the closing act.

Now watching.

Followed by.

I really enjoyed the Father Of The Bride Movies and I have not heard anyone say anything remotely negative regarding Top Gun: Maverick.

It should be up for Best Film at the Oscars (I know LOL) but Indie Films, which apparently I should like (Everything, Everywhere, All At Once) will get the plaudits.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!