Like Tree179044Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2022, 01:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Ha ha, that 'death by stereo' is such a top eighties moment! Poppy should've switched the Dahmer fetish for a few of those, but yes, I can see 'Swamp Fetus' from where I'm sitting.
I imagine your lair being full of fetus in dusty old jars.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th June 2022, 01:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I imagine your lair being full of fetus in dusty old jars.
I line them up on top of my harpsichord and admire them when I get bored.
Old 18th June 2022, 02:38 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Didn't every horror and fantasy reader of the mid 90's buy or at least read this edition?

I know i did.

Haha, yes, that exact oneā€¦
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th June 2022, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Last Night in Soho (2021)

As with Licorice Pizza last week Last Night in Soho was a film i'd heard just enough about to intrigue me into wanting to buy and watch without delving too deeply into their story lines before hand.

And just like Licorice Pizza this was fantastic.

It follows timid Cornish fashion student Ellie ( a superb Thomasin McKenzie) obsessed with the sixties who moves to London to attend the London College of Fashion. Unhappy with her student digs she moves into the Soho flat of an elderly lady (Diana Rigg).

That night Ellie dreams of being back in sixties Soho where she observes or perhaps becomes Sandie (An equally impressive Anya Taylor-Joy) as she goes about trying to become a night club singer at the Cafe De Paris and falls for the charms of wide boy entertainment manager Jack (A very out of character Matt Smith).

Pretty much from then on things get really f*cked up as dream blends with reality and ghosts from the past enter the present day with shocking results.

Imagine if you will 1959's Beat Girl crossed with The Woman in Black with an Argento-esq finale and that sort of sums up Last Night in Soho. It's a love letter to the swinging sixties but not the cool sixties, no, this is the sixties usually featured in messed up BFI Flipside releases by the likes of Gerry O' Hara and Arnold Miller. A sixties of degradation, permissiveness, sleaze and violence.

I really didn't know where the film was heading at all and the denouement was both unexpected and grittily violent as the film transformed from dark fairy tale to a nightmarish supernatural horror. There's such a juxtaposition from the stunning first eye opening shot of sixties London as Ellie appears opposite a cinema showing Thunderball (a sequence that looks magical on Blu-ray) to what happens at the end.

Director Edgar Wright has given the film a superb soundtrack of sixties music as well as songs which could be sixties music. From Taylor-Joy's gorgeous melancholy rendition of Petula Clark's Downtown to Sandie Shaw, The Kinks, The Who and Siousxie and the Banshees. Wright makes the songs as pivotal to the film as he did with his last outing Baby Driver (2017) and it all sounds so stunning in Dolby ATMOS.

Last Night in Soho is a neon drenched fantasy horror drama with a killer soundtrack that is a wonderful antithesis to the formulaic sequels and reboots clogging up cinema today. I heartily recommend it.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ebola Syndrome. 1996.

A criminal wanted in Hong Kong travels to South Africa contracts the Ebola strain and returns to Hong Kong infected those he comes into contact with.

Not only does the Ebola strain make you seriously ill, according to the Japanese in this film it makes you horny as well. After a bit of a slow start laughable start to the film, the panic happens 30-40 minutes into the film and although I don't condone violence in any way towards woman, it is a bit funny how the main character contracts the virus.

The acting in this is not that bad switching from subtitled to near perfect dubbing, it's not over the top violence that we usually get from the Japanese films, it does have it's sick moments but nothing to gory or gut wrenching, this was enjoyable.

Ebola-syndrome-poster.jpg
Old 18th June 2022, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enter The Devil. 1974.

A art student comes across a crucifix and dreams that finds her being nailed to it and slowly becoming possessed.

Another Italian Exorcist rip-off, how many of The Exorcist knock-off's were actually made because I just keep seem to finding them. The young student Stella Carnacina is asked to restore a crucifix with a Christ like figure on it, who indeed is Ivan Rassimov who is in fact Satan and wants a soul. Only the Italians would make a film of possession that has some whipping with flowers, sexual antics and a plot that seems to go decently enough.

MV5BNTcxMzJiM2ItMWE5NS00Yzk3LWFjMWItYTExNGY1MzI0NWQ4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3Njg3MQ@@.jpg
Old 18th June 2022, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mad God (2021, Phil Tippett)

A thing of beauty.
The work that must have gone into it.
I'm not sure really what the point was, but then I may have to revisit this one sooner than later.
The one thing I will say is that a familiar face will turn up.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th June 2022, 01:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

1974: La Posesion De Altair (2016, Victor Dryere)

FF.
Skating over the "what domestic camera was available in mainland Europe at the time"
What we get is something that starts reasonably then crumbles in a welter of cliches. Did slightly jump at 2 bits for all that.

The Whisperer In Darkness

What with Stanley clearing his name (cough), it looks like we'll be getting his other two HPL adaptations I suppose.
So revisited this one. A bravau attempt to film something that hasn't really got the structure for it (original story being a series of correspondences betwixt two folk ahem). Some of this works, some does not. The end sequence has to be amongst these as it literally flies in the face of what he wrote
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th June 2022, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Faust. 2000.

A man wants to avenge the death of his girlfriend and sells his soul to a mysterious man, when the deed is done, M wants John to carry on the killings or he risks losing his girlfriend's soul.

I'm sure we all know the story about the man selling his soul to the devil which was a bit of a dark story, Brian Yuzna helms the director's chair with Andrew Divoff playing the mystery man known as M. He is a bit darker in this but not as Wishmaster, he still has the sinister look and voice. Mark Frost plays the lead John who tends to do some over acting at times but then we do get Jefferey Combs playing a decent policeman. This does seem mild for a Yuzna movie, there is blood in it but not his usual gore movie, this has always been good to watch every now and again.

MV5BMTg5NzI2NTU0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODMxNTgwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th June 2022, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Female Vampire. 1973.

The last of the Karlstein family, Countess Irana looking for a life long partner which results in deaths.

When it comes to Eurotrash films we can always count on Mr. Franco to give us that and probably a lot more if he could get away with it. Lina Romay plays the female lead mute vampire Irana, who wears a cloak, a crotch belt and boots, yeah that's it. When you get past the nudity in the film there is a somewhat decent plot to the film with a nice dark atmosphere at times .

MV5BMTY1NzcyMjI3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU0ODA5._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!