Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree171853Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #58551  
Old 25th June 2022, 11:10 AM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

TOUGH GUYS DONíT DANCE Ė From no less of a personage than Norman Mailer. He did some other movies back in the seventies, but they were like weird avant garde improv or something. This is an adaption of his book by the same name, and itís pretty much part of that whole eighties re-wiring of noirish tropes, but to call it Ďneo-noirí and leave it at that would be to skim the surface. TGDT is a very odd movie. Wings Hauserís in it, which is usually enough to guarantee a strange ride in itself; beyond this salient fact, thereís a labyrinthine plot about heads in carrier bags buried deep in the woods and a tone that shifts between hysteria and deadpan. But the real strangeness is in the dialogue. Never have I been so transfixed by the way characters speak, and what they say and the way they say it seems to belong to its own separate, slightly ghostly plane that hovers above the film itself. Itís all just so stylised and stagey, but I found it really captivating. And thereís a certain atmosphere that cuts through it all. Thereís a bit of nakedness and a bit of deadness, but this a more a film about lonely beaches and time running out. And Iím not ďtickling your stickĒ about that one, not even if youíre Wings Hauser.

ANGEL Ė One of those eighties movie serial killers is stalking the hustler haven of downtown LA in ĎAngelí, a tonally bizarre film which is about what Iíve just described, but is actually more about a teenage hooker trying to find her long lost daddy. You get to see a lot of neon drenched shots of city streets at night, and Iím always a sucker for that kind of thing, particularly if itís from the eighties / nineties, with that filmy graininess about it. It feels gritty and real, but itís a total hallucination, a look, an aesthetic. ĎAngelí pushes the unreality boat out even further by inserting into all that what is basically a feelgood plotline. Angelís life on the streets has a Cinderella harshness about it, but sheís surrounded by a gang of supportive fellow sex workers. The cops give the hookers a hard time, but then the lead investigator becomes Angelís father figure. There are no awful pimps, just a kindly Widow Twanky-ish den mother. It could be a pantomime. Iím not knocking it, Iím just saying that the filmís weirdly saccharine unreality is what makes ĎAngelí special, especially in combination with this whole sleazy business of prostitute murder. Speaking of which, you donít get any kind of window into that whatsoever Ė the evil dude is basically just that, a killer without backstory or motiveÖ ďit hurtsÖ!Ē is about the only thing we hear him say, an impressive waste of the talents of the great John Diehl. All in all, if youíre looking for an insight into the realms of real-life exploitation and the societal abuse and neglect that ends with a life on the streetsÖ look somewhere else. But you may already have figured that out. If you want to watch a bizarre fantasy thatís about as real as a plastic christmas tree, step right up.
Reply With Quote
  #58552  
Old 25th June 2022, 11:24 AM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

ANGEL Ė One of those eighties movie serial killers is stalking the hustler haven of downtown LA in ĎAngelí, a tonally bizarre film which is about what Iíve just described, but is actually more about a teenage hooker trying to find her long lost daddy. You get to see a lot of neon drenched shots of city streets at night, and Iím always a sucker for that kind of thing, particularly if itís from the eighties / nineties, with that filmy graininess about it. It feels gritty and real, but itís a total hallucination, a look, an aesthetic. ĎAngelí pushes the unreality boat out even further by inserting into all that what is basically a feelgood plotline. Angelís life on the streets has a Cinderella harshness about it, but sheís surrounded by a gang of supportive fellow sex workers. The cops give the hookers a hard time, but then the lead investigator becomes Angelís father figure. There are no awful pimps, just a kindly Widow Twanky-ish den mother. It could be a pantomime. Iím not knocking it, Iím just saying that the filmís weirdly saccharine unreality is what makes ĎAngelí special, especially in combination with this whole sleazy business of prostitute murder. Speaking of which, you donít get any kind of window into that whatsoever Ė the evil dude is basically just that, a killer without backstory or motiveÖ ďit hurtsÖ!Ē is about the only thing we hear him say, an impressive waste of the talents of the great John Diehl. All in all, if youíre looking for an insight into the realms of real-life exploitation and the societal abuse and neglect that ends with a life on the streetsÖ look somewhere else. But you may already have figured that out. If you want to watch a bizarre fantasy thatís about as real as a plastic christmas tree, step right up.
You and me both. If you haven't seen it i recommend Last Night in Soho for neon drenched sixties London.

I really like Angel (And it's sequels). The fact it's a kind of ensemble of likable characters means it's a bit different to the norm of this genre.
Reply With Quote
  #58553  
Old 25th June 2022, 11:33 AM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

I liked LNIS, though I wasn't quite as hot on it as you were. It was those grey spectres that kept cropping up... they fumbled it, somehow. But that's me being picky.

Might try the Angel sequels this afternoon, then.
Reply With Quote
  #58554  
Old 25th June 2022, 11:38 AM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I liked LNIS, though I wasn't quite as hot on it as you were. It was those grey spectres that kept cropping up... they fumbled it, somehow. But that's me being picky.

Might try the Angel sequels this afternoon, then.
Don't expect the griminess from Avenging Angel. It's a camper and much more fun affair with shoot out's galore with the fun encapsulated in a riotous sequence as aging cowboy Rory Calhoun is bust out of a sanitarium.

What i like about the sequel is the supposed low life of Hollywood - the (And i quote)" hookers, dykes, drugstore cowboys, transvestites and street performers" - we get to know are wonderfully written people, a loving street family, whom i really cared about.

Haha. No pressure there then Frankie.
Reply With Quote
  #58555  
Old 25th June 2022, 02:52 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Zone Troopers (1985)

A cracking war, sci-fi epic from Charles Band starring Tim Thomerson, an actor who lights up any low budget production and turns it into a sparkling gem, as the grizzled sergeant of a platoon (Do four men constitute a platoon?) lost behind enemy lines in Italy 1942 who discover an alien space craft crashed in the woods, it's pilot captured by the SS.

Despite it's meager means Zone Troopers has some great battle sequences as Thomerson and co battle hordes of Nazis. There are some good FX and cool explosions as well. Parts of the film do move at a snails pace but this is to be expected, however the cast of soldiers are all pretty likable and the alien dude is kinda cute in a bug eyed ferret way.

What i did love was the soundtrack of authentic music from the period especially Glenn Miller's In the Mood which i could listen to all day. Although Richard Band's original soundtrack sounds too much like The Imperial March by John Williams each time the Nazis enter the fray.

I'd never seen Zone Troopers before prior to last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Blu-ray from 88 Films has lovely depth to it during the daylight outdoor scenes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (99.1 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #58556  
Old 25th June 2022, 04:50 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
'Blood Beat' is amazing! 'Blood Beat' and 'Dangerous Men' in one sitting is playing with fire, but I think you already know that...!
They all know the score. I'm teetering with 3 or 4 at the moment, American Rampage was high on the list etc, but BB just took my breath away tbh.
__________________



"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "
Reply With Quote
  #58557  
Old 25th June 2022, 08:48 PM
MrBarlow's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dundee
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Maniac. 1980.

A psychotic unstable man goes on a killing spree around new York City.

Another abusive mother an son relationship that triggers the brain of a male to become a complete psycho killer, in this it's the form of Joe Spinell, who'd da thought Rocky's old enforcer boss would make a great unbalanced person

I will admit the pace of the film is a bit slow after the start but does get interesting after the main character build up which Spinell and director William Lustig done nicely. Think we all appreciated the death of Tom Savini's character Disco Boy was done brilliantly and one of the best parts to the film, the other was probably seeing Caroline Munro. Watching Frank and Anna together does give off the tense moment of will he or won't he killer her.

Maniac_%281980%29.jpg
__________________
" I have seen trees that look like tortured souls"
Reply With Quote
  #58558  
Old 25th June 2022, 09:55 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

What did you think of the remake, Mr.B?

I thought it was better than the original.
Reply With Quote
  #58559  
Old 25th June 2022, 10:19 PM
MrBarlow's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dundee
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What did you think of the remake, Mr.B?

I thought it was better than the original.
Hands up, I was a bit hesitant about Elijah Wood playing a psycho but it was a lot better than I expected it to be, you gotta love the background score when he goes off on one.



Added the remake to the October list
__________________
" I have seen trees that look like tortured souls"
Reply With Quote
  #58560  
Old 25th June 2022, 10:52 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Death Journey (1976, Fred Williamson)

The Hammer and some schlub trek round the states in order to bring bad men to task.
Imagine an unfunny (well ....) Planes, Trains & Automobiles ... without the flying bit
Slightly low rent in presentation, there is much fun to be had, what with FW showing how much of a feminist he is on one hand, and just how violent a brother can get when room service fails to live up to expectations. Pacing wise, it just sort of happens in front of you. Under 80 minutes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ.jpg (97.9 KB, 2 views)
__________________



"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.