Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2022, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie Lake. 1981.

In a small village in France, German soldiers were killed and thrown into a lake come back as zombies.

I know this had a reputation for not being great but as it is a Jean Rollin film I thought i'd give it a bash. Once you have seen it you can't unsee it and how did I manage to watch it all the way through in one sitting is beyond me, it felt longer than what it was, the make up for the zombies is very low budget, the acting was just painful to watch and embarrassing, decent part was the naked females in it.

MV5BNjNkMzUyMGUtNjMwNi00NGYwLWI0MTgtMThiMDdkMDJhYTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 29th June 2022, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Zombie Lake. 1981.

In a small village in France, German soldiers were killed and thrown into a lake come back as zombies.

I know this had a reputation for not being great but as it is a Jean Rollin film I thought i'd give it a bash. Once you have seen it you can't unsee it and how did I manage to watch it all the way through in one sitting is beyond me, it felt longer than what it was, the make up for the zombies is very low budget, the acting was just painful to watch and embarrassing, decent part was the naked females in it.

Attachment 240866
You have to see Oasis of the Zombies!

It makes Zombie Lake seem like Dawn of the Dead it's so awful.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:14 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Zombie Lake. 1981.

Attachment 240866
That's the fascination about Jean Rollin, he can do masterpieces and turd's in the same year
Frankie Teardrop and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:24 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMzViNzM5M2QtNDRlZi00MTQ1LTgwODItMGVjNDlkOGJjNDcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_.jpg

When a new professor shows up on campus with a new course calls the psychology of fear where he believes to understand fear you must experience it. He tells the students he doesn't believe in theory but the practical side of learning. After a run in with the school tough guy the course is in danger of getting shut down so the professor comes up with a plan to carry out special classes at him home after school where a small group agree to attend and exchange stories in order to test each others tolerance for fear.

I just couldn't get into this at all the "scary" stories that were exchanged were not very interesting or even scary. I only watched it last night and apart from the end of the first story i can't really remember any stand out moments from the rest of the stories. The absolute worst thing in the whole film was the school tough guy when he said to the other students who were laughing at him for a run in with the professor and he says don't worry ill sort him out i was expecting him to kick his ass but instead he REPORTED HIM TO THE DEAN scary tough guy ohhhhhhhhh.

This one just wasn't for me.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You have to see Oasis of the Zombies!

It makes Zombie Lake seem like Dawn of the Dead it's so awful.
I will never speak of Oasis Of The Zombies again
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
That's the fascination about Jean Rollin, he can do masterpieces and turd's in the same year
That's so very true Graveyard.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
I see what you did there, G.
Graveyard likes this.
Old 29th June 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Troma's War. 1988.

A group of people who survive a plane crash on a island are held captive by terrorists who plan a attack on America, the survivors plan on stopping the attack.

After the disappointment of Fortress Of Amerikkka, I had no high hopes for this, we got shootings, explosions, romance and some and almost near nudity, some crappy dialogue and acting...yet I actually enjoyed this. Typical scenario on a airplane captain announces..."If you look to your left you will see a engine on fire " that cracked me up People who are all strangers decide to team up and become Troma's version of Rambo, It's not gory but does have some OTT kills and a woman who knows where to aim with a small crossbow.

MV5BMjM5Y2I1NzUtODAwMS00YjM1LTk1NDEtNzI3ZjY1YjNiMGEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 29th June 2022, 10:20 PM
Cult Master

image.jpg

An upcoming female reporter is send to the Caribbean swamps where a new resort is going to be built hoping to attract millions of rich tourists. The reporter is there to uncover the truth about the removal of toxic waste before and building can take place with with politicians involved you can expect many corners to be cut. This will be a scoop like no other when they uncover more than just an ecological disaster cover up and a giant Croc shows up to feast upon anyone who dares invade his territory.

After getting off to an action packed fast paced beginning the middle of the film sadly starts to drag with no croc in sight and the film focuses on the relationship between the reporter and her old love interest who was sent to keep her safe lets be honest no one gives a s**t about that sort of thing here we just want a giant Croc messing up peoples dreams of ever running a marathon .

There was some fun to be had but that middle section really took some of the fun out of it and there could of been a few less flash backs to the first film... they also chickened out and didnt let the croc eat any kids
Old 29th June 2022, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Parasite. 1982.

In a post-apocalyptic USA, a scientist is infected with a strange parasite and heads to a small town where it's unleashed.

This one I have only seen snippets off, for a early 80s film this wasn't too bad even for a Charles Band film that was made in 3-D and early screen performance by Demi More. The plot itself is simple, and always have a punk group wannabe that end up being the stupidest people to survive a nuclear war and become victims of a internal parasite breeding ground in their bodies. Entertaining enough to watch.

Parasite.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!