Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2022, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Child (1977)

An interesting and utterly bizarre regional horror about a young woman hired as a housekeeper at an old house in the sticks. She soon finds out that the 11 year old girl who lives there has a horrific secret.

Highly atmospheric, this low budget production (perhaps a reason for the wild atmosphere) is like some weird nightmare especially as Halloween approaches and the jack o' lanterns come into play, and then there's the old mill...and the zombies.

At times it has the feel of an old horror from the thirties along the lines of White Zombie (1932) with it's dream like ambiance. The whole film feels like watching someone else's nightmare and it gains even more power when there's actually a dream sequence happening on screen.

This review probably makes no sense so in that respect it suits the film to a tee, just go watch it and see for your self. Where's Frankie Teardrop when you need him to explain this shit?

It's available in Arrow's American Horror Project Volume Two box set and it looks a hell of a lot better than the old dvd i used to own.

Great double bill with Lemora imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd July 2022, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Great double bill with Lemora imho.
Like the way you think Demon, good idea
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd July 2022, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
There's a few more .....
Naschy's Exorcismo is a personal fave.
Old 2nd July 2022, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Naschy's Exorcismo is a personal fave.
Just watched the trailer for it, another one for me to go searching for
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jaws (1975)

What a way to celebrate the fourth of July weekend...going fishing for a twenty five foot Great White shark in a small boat.

Robert Shaw's telling of the USS Indianapolis is one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Seeing the film in high definition for the first time was an absolute joy. I'm not sure if i watched the film or just looked at the pretty pictures.

Outstanding.
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:24 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Jaws (1975)

What a way to celebrate the fourth of July weekend...going fishing for a twenty five foot Great White shark in a small boat.

Robert Shaw's telling of the USS Indianapolis is one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Seeing the film in high definition for the first time was an absolute joy. I'm not sure if i watched the film or just looked at the pretty pictures.

Outstanding.

I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Red Rocket (Sean Baker)

Well, I went for it. Grotty films seem to be my forte really, as I gravitate toward them like .... a demon possessed
Ahem. Meet Mickey Saber. He's tryin' to get his life back in order, how he achieves this is hard to watch in parts. Yet again, Baker seems to get great naturalistic performances from his cast.
It was also refreshing to see some films where I wasn't being preached at constantly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR.jpg (95.4 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Killer's Moon (1978)

Four mental patients – who, due to unauthorized experiments, believe they’re living in a dream and have shed all moral imperatives – escape and find their way to an old dark house where a bus load of stranded schoolgirls have taken refuge for the night.

A difficult film to review, it's both seedy and clunky at the same time, acts of violence both sexual and not on school girls (Obviously school girls is a loose term as one of them is 21 year old Jane Hayden, sister of Linda). The Screenbound Blu-ray cover says this is worse than I Spit on your Grave. It isn't but it's still pretty degrading stuff as the girls are raped and their teacher strangled to death whilst a cat has it's leg mercilessly hacked off, and it's all from the pen of acclaimed play write and novelist Fay Weldon.

Killer's Moon is certainly a British oddity. For all it's nastiness it's also pretty inept and not especially scary not helped by the four escapees goofing around all the time as they are certain everything they do is simply a dream so nothing matters. It does have atmosphere in spades though in that A Clockwork Orange Droogs on the rampage sense.

Despite these inconsistencies it's a film i rate and watch every couple of years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault (Medium).jpg (77.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was pleased to see the Killer's Moon Blu-ray at £3 in the Screenbound sale happening as i type. It meant i didn't have to buy the upcoming 88 Films release at £15, seeing as 88 have licensed the film from Screenbound anyway.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was pleased to see the Killer's Moon Blu-ray at £3 in the Screenbound sale happening as i type. It meant i didn't have to buy the upcoming 88 Films release at £15, seeing as 88 have licensed the film from Screenbound anyway.
I have the Redemption DVD and Blu-ray releases, both with the commentary by director Alan Birkinshaw and actress JoAnne Good

Like this? Share it using the links below!