Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2022, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

H P Lovecraft's Witch House (2021, Bobby Easley)

Well, I found one that's worse than The Colour Out Of Space
The protagonist is called Gilman, they stay in an attic room, and there's a witch.
Here's where we and HPL separate somewhat as you really need some sort of budget to really tackle this particular tale imho.
This is lacking here. So what we get instead are some rats, some gore and some lesbian romping. All in really dark DTV. Seriously.
Avoid.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th July 2022, 09:18 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Is Mary Poppins Returns a decent watch??
It's an entertaining time waster, but not a patch on the original
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th July 2022, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It's an entertaining time waster, but not a patch on the original
Thanks Susan xx
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 6th July 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Raid. 2011

A S.W.A.T. team become ambushed and trapped in a tenement building while trying to arrest a drug lord and his henchmen.

From a unknown director and a bunch of actors I never heard of , this becomes a fast paced adrenaline non stop action flick with plenty of shootouts, tense moments and good fight scenes. Director Gareth Evans isn't biased about who gets killed, the body count on both sides mount up, even the main actor Rama gets his fair share of ass kicking. Definitely one film that gets better with every watch.

raidredemption.jpg
Old 6th July 2022, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crimes Of The Future (2021, David Cronenberg)

No, it's not a bloody remake!
Viggo and the bint from Twilight carry on in that well, Cronenbergian way.
With the news that he will hopefully be filming his novel next, this is a welcome return. His last film was a rather sour rejoinder to Hypocritewood, so don't go expecting a musical this time
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th July 2022, 01:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shogun Assassin. 1980.

When the wife of a master samurai is killed, the man known as Lone Wolf and his son go on a killing spree for revenge.

This must have turned a few heads when it was aired as Lone Wolf And Cub with the blood splatter or was that just edited in when it was released under this name?? Tomisaburo Wakayama certainly knows how to handle a weapon or two and certainly not shy on who he kills. Only downfall I feel with this, it's builds up the trio of Masters Of Death and at the end, there isn't really a big fight for the finale. Still enjoyed this though.

MV5BMzgwNDM2MTM5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTUyNzAwMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 7th July 2022, 03:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

China O'Brien. 1990.

After the killing of a youth in a fight, China leaves the big city and head home to her hometown, her father is the local Sheriff and killed, she decides to fight for the local Sheriff spot and clean things up with a few friends.

If the plot sounds familiar then it is, somewhat female version of Walking Tall with a shady business man, corrupt cops and plenty fighting sequences from start to finish. Cynthia Rothrock stars as the lead with her own fighting skills, teaming up with Richard Norton and Keith Cooke and some high school teens as deputy's for the final confrontation. The pace can be a bit slow at times but decently enough to watch and enjoy.

China_O%27Brien.jpg

Have a good everyone
Old 7th July 2022, 06:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Shogun Assassin. 1980.

When the wife of a master samurai is killed, the man known as Lone Wolf and his son go on a killing spree for revenge.

This must have turned a few heads when it was aired as Lone Wolf And Cub with the blood splatter or was that just edited in when it was released under this name?? Tomisaburo Wakayama certainly knows how to handle a weapon or two and certainly not shy on who he kills. Only downfall I feel with this, it's builds up the trio of Masters Of Death and at the end, there isn't really a big fight for the finale. Still enjoyed this though.

Attachment 240961

Shogun Assassin is the first two Lone Wolf films re-edited and released with an American dub. I highly recommend the Criterion box set of all 6 films plus Shogun Assassin if you can get it past the wife unnoticed lol…

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th July 2022, 06:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Shogun Assassin is the first two Lone Wolf films re-edited and released with an American dub. I highly recommend the Criterion box set of all 6 films plus Shogun Assassin if you can get it past the wife unnoticed lol…
When there is a will there is a way I'm sure I can try it...somehow
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 7th July 2022, 08:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
When there is a will there is a way I'm sure I can try it...somehow
I tried... and failed when I bought the Shout F13 box set, got it in the flat without notice easy enough, but as soon as it was on the shelf it was noticed... "that's new and looks like it cost more than £100...." I can't keep a straight face in that situation so the jig was up immediately haha

Lone Wolf though, easy, it's a Criterion digipak the size of 2 discs, can easily get away with that one haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!