Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2022, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Few Good Men

Tom Cruise is the Navy Lawyer who has to get 2 Marines off a Murder charge, where he and his associates have to navigate the rules and codes of a Marine Unit in Cuba.

I first watched it when it came out for Rental and I was too young to appreciate it at the time (I believed that I got bored because there was no Action in it) but I got the VHS on a Birthday and I thought that it was so enthralling and entertaining, even though it was over 2 hours, it was done at a pace that I never got bored and after watching it again, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

It has a loaded Cast and had incredible performances, Jack Nicholson had about 3 scenes and got a Best Supporting Actor for the 93 Oscars. I just loved his facial expressions when Cruise was putting holes in his story.

Cabin In The Woods

On the premise, it looked liked a simple Horror Film (Which had a pre famous Chris Hemsworth) but it's one of the most well written, witty Films out there. Really don't need to say more about that scene in the Elevator and the releasing of The Creatures.

Really why have a Purge Button that just releases them?

Rage: Ring Of Fire II

Don "The Dragon" Wilson is back and after the events of the first Film, a truce and friendship between the 2 gangs has formed however after foiling a Bank Robbery, his Wife his abducted by the Gang Leader and he has to go underground to rescue her with the others arriving later.

Whilst Underground, he finds that there are several gangs (Each with a gimmick) down there which they have to fend off, the setting I found was a nice novel concept for a Film like this.

Again it ain't going to win any awards but I found it thoroughly entertaining as the first time I saw it.

For me, there's always a place for Films like this in my Collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afgm.jpg (12.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg citw.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rrofii.jpg (11.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th July 2022, 10:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nocturne (2020, Zu Quirke)

Well then.
Recommended as "Lovecraftian", in that it seems anything with a piano in it now qualifies ffs
Sibling rivalry can be fun to watch cinematically, and I sat wistfully thinking "well, you'ld watch this storyline if it was Asian ... " and persevered.
It all ends with the most over used trope in horror, so no more this end please thank you good night
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th July 2022, 10:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Brides Of The Blood Mummy (1973, Ken Ruder)

What a title, but it's a shame that Blood Orgy Of The Love Mummy obviously already been taken as it's a better description
Ahem.
Euro Gothic caper. A man recounts his tale to an eager "fellow scientist", and what a tale tis.
Starts traditionally then ... takes ... an interesting path to its slightly wobbly ending. An oddity. I thought of Franco more than once.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th July 2022, 02:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nightmare Beach (1989)

Aka Welcome to Spring Break (a better title seeing as none of the action takes place on a beach) director Umberto Lenzi takes us to spring break in Florida as we witness a leather clad motorcyclist murder revelers by electrocuting them.

A fun film lacking the strong violence often associated with Lenzi's more notorious productions but this does have a straightforward remarkably entertaining storyline with a couple of 'names' in Michael Parks and John Saxon giving the film star power even if Saxon is a bit out of character as a corrupt cop.

There's plenty of scenes of fun and sun loving beach bodies which flesh out the running time and the plot remains engaging throughout.

What really grates is Claudio Simonetti's godawful score. Ripping off Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade which appeared in Argento's earlier Phenomena (1985). It sounds horrendous and dates the film considerably.

On the whole Nightmare Beach is a very enjoyable slasher and the 88 Films Blu-ray looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71YBTA85QuL._RI_.jpg (83.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th July 2022, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Siege. 1998.

After the U.S. Military kidnap a leader of a terrorist group, New York City becomes a target area for a terrorist cell. The F.B.I. start investigating it until martial law is declared.

A film that goes on the "What If" scenario happens and how to deal with terrorism, fear and paranoia surrounding every person after a terrorist attack, even the exhaust of a bus giving out a bang can cause people to duck and cover which would be everyone's reaction.

Denzel Washington stars as the chief of the F.B.I counter terrorism unit along with Tony Shalhoub as his partner who is also a translator for the agency, Annette Bening stars as a government official trying to keep the peace with people of a Muslim community and also looking for the terrorist cell. Bruce Willis plays General Devereaux who is the advisor to the President and also has his own agenda to handling panic by creating more panic.

The film does deal with racism to the point it does hit home with a character in the film, the acting in this is done brilliantly even with Denzel feeling the effects of being close to a bomb going off. Right from the start the suspense is built up quickly to some good tense moments.

512E39F1JAL._SY445_.jpg
Old 18th July 2022, 10:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Predator. Still an awesome kickass classic. They really don't make 'em like this anymore.
Old 18th July 2022, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Predator. Still an awesome kickass classic. They really don't make 'em like this anymore.
Even the sorry excuses for Predator films aren't like it.
Old 18th July 2022, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Effects (1979, Dusty Nelson)

What a grotty little delight this turned out to be.
Making a low budget horror film can be stressful at times, and talk about a hostile work environment
The director has a few ... issues to work through, and the crew all seem harmless enough, but there's more than a hair in the gate at this screening.
Will look forward to seeing this one again.

Effects.jpg

[B]
Old 18th July 2022, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gamer. 2009.

Death row convicts have nano cells placed in their bodies that they are controlled by Gamers, if they win battles they are set free.

Futuristic set with a dystopian settings for the games to be played, Gerard Butler plays Kable controlled by Simon played by Logan Lerman who is the popular player that everyone wants a slice of his player. From the start this is action packed with shooting and explosions and seems very fast paced up to the last 15 minutes then it goes a bit slow but good background music throughout.

512h-EfFwnL.jpg
Old 18th July 2022, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Gamer. 2009.

Death row convicts have nano cells placed in their bodies that they are controlled by Gamers, if they win battles they are set free.

Futuristic set with a dystopian settings for the games to be played, Gerard Butler plays Kable controlled by Simon played by Logan Lerman who is the popular player that everyone wants a slice of his player. From the start this is action packed with shooting and explosions and seems very fast paced up to the last 15 minutes then it goes a bit slow but good background music throughout.

Attachment 241194
This had a terrible rep but i really enjoyed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!