Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You know,these Yankee gals couldn't hold a candle to Brit gals back in the 60's 70's and 80's......

Susan George
Joan Collins
Suzy Kendall
Jane Asher
Stephanie Beacham
Joanna Lumley
Honor Blackman
Julie Christie
Diana Dors
Helen Mirren
Judy Geeson
Vanessa Redgrave
Dianna Rigg
Martine Beswick
Jane Seymour
Caroline Munro
Maryam d'abo
Rita Tushingham

We Brit fans salute you.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Avengers: Infinity War

Part one of an epic story that sees Thanos and his army go after the remaining Infinity Stones. The Avengers are out to stop him. Even though this is a two part Movie, it still packs a lot in and I still smiled when the different characters appeared.

The Brain

A Teen is sent to a Psychiatrist who has a hit TV programme. However he finds out that the Doc has teamed up with an Alien Brain and is hypnotizing his audience in the hope of taking over humanity.

Strangely, I couldn't find a Trailer on Youtube or IMDB, which should have been a red flag but luckily I found a Fan Made Trailer. And strangely this is a Film I didn't recall seeing in any of my Video Shops back in the day, but the Cover seemed familiar.

This is a 80's B-Movie and you can definitely tell from the opening Credits and I found it to be rather enjoyable. It has the bad acting but that is forgiven.

Halfway through I did think that this would have been even better if The Brain wasn't part of The Film and just have The Doctor as the main protagonist and it would have eliminated the F/X for The Brain (But it's 80's B-Movie so can't complain)

However the twist 3 quarters in
SPOILER:
long hallucination scene
did take me out of it. However this Film was a jolly good effort.

Oh yeah there is Christmas Music and Decorations
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aiw.jpg (13.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tb.jpg (11.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable sequel taking place nine years after the original , here a man ( Vincent Price) is wrongly accused of murder and with the help of the original invisible man's brother injects himself with the invisibility serum to find the real killer and clear his name , but a cure needs to be found before he starts losing his mind like the original invisible Man.

We only see Price for the last 30 seconds of the film and strangely a lot of the time in doesn't sound very much like him at times we do hear his distinguish tones.

Now watching.

Old 3rd August 2022, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post

The Brain

Oh yeah there is Christmas Music and Decorations
Noted. Adds to Christmas viewing list.
Old 4th August 2022, 01:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Time Without Pity (1957)

A decidedly bleak British Noir thriller in which a young man is sentenced to be executed for a murder his father (Michael Redgrave) believes he didn't commit. Unfortunately for Redgrave his alcoholic ways saw him in a Canadian sanatorium and he has only one day to prove his boy isn't a killer.

One of those films where everyone is sort of unlikeable. Redgrave is very good as an alcoholic who turns back to scotch to see him through whilst Leo Mckern, equally good if not a bit over the top, is sadistic to pretty much everyone as the owner of a motor racing team.

As Redgrave figures out exactly who the killer is whilst battling his own personal demons he appears to be out of ideas as to how to prove it as the film ends with a shocking finale.

Peter Cushing, in his final film before Hammer's The Curse of Frankenstein has a medium sized role as a lawyer whilst Lois (Miss Moneypenny) Maxwell surprisingly convinces as a 'call girl'.

The Indicator Blu-ray was a blind buy and thankfully ended up a terrific, sweaty, fast paced and very edgy thriller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Time_Without_Pity_FilmPoster.jpeg (25.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 4th August 2022, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Airplane. 1980.

A pilot that is traumatised after the war, takes control of a plane and land it safely when the pilots become sick.

Disaster films were the thing of the 70s, all it took was three guys to take one of those films and turn it into a comedy parody with Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges and Leslie Nielsen who were all serious actors and became comedians with this film. Even though it maybe outdated with a few things and no matter what mood you are in, this will still make you laugh.

large_b4sAWNIbfXw4WTdc1wiVRBk2Vko.jpg
Old 4th August 2022, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A doctor moves to a small town as soon as he gets their the townsfolk started dropping like flies it's not long before our intrepid doc finds out it's a spider that's had mated with the common house spider. We also have John Goodman as a exterminator. It's enjoyable but not one for those afraid of spiders.

John Cusack plays a young inspiring cartoonist who after graduating high school goes to the island of Nantucket with his best friend to celebrate , once thier they set out too help a young woman (Demi Moore) save her home getting into many whacky misadventures. Very silly and all a bit forced but enjoyable, was this not done as episode of South park but set at a skie resort.

Now watching
Old 4th August 2022, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Noted. Adds to Christmas viewing list.
It's a hoot. Enjoy!!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2022, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Time Without Pity (1957)

A decidedly bleak British Noir thriller in which a young man is sentenced to be executed for a murder his father (Michael Redgrave) believes he didn't commit. Unfortunately for Redgrave his alcoholic ways saw him in a Canadian sanatorium and he has only one day to prove his boy isn't a killer.

One of those films where everyone is sort of unlikeable. Redgrave is very good as an alcoholic who turns back to scotch to see him through whilst Leo Mckern, equally good if not a bit over the top, is sadistic to pretty much everyone as the owner of a motor racing team.

As Redgrave figures out exactly who the killer is whilst battling his own personal demons he appears to be out of ideas as to how to prove it as the film ends with a shocking finale.

Peter Cushing, in his final film before Hammer's The Curse of Frankenstein has a medium sized role as a lawyer whilst Lois (Miss Moneypenny) Maxwell surprisingly convinces as a 'call girl'.

The Indicator Blu-ray was a blind buy and thankfully ended up a terrific, sweaty, fast paced and very edgy thriller.

SOLD

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2022, 06:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A doctor moves to a small town as soon as he gets their the townsfolk started dropping like flies it's not long before our intrepid doc finds out it's a spider that's had mated with the common house spider. We also have John Goodman as a exterminator. It's enjoyable but not one for those afraid of spiders
I loathe the creepy little bastids!

Saying that, I saw this film at the cinema when in it was first released in the hope it would cure me

It didn't!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!