Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Aurora75 4th October 2010 11:59 AM

'The Bothersome Man'

Norweigen flick somewhere between the Prisoner and Being John Malkovich. Enjoyable watch..

Mahoney32 4th October 2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 106330)
If I remember correctly, Let Me In is set in Canada as that allows you to keep the drab, snowy landscape.

Canada. That sounds about right. The perfect place for this film. Thanks for letting me know, and for the reply.

DeadAlive 4th October 2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 106330)
If I remember correctly, Let Me In is set in Canada as that allows you to keep the drab, snowy landscape.

I thought it was set in Mexico?

nekromantik 4th October 2010 07:34 PM

Well if it is a different movie then LTROI then I will be surprised.

It was filmed in Mexico but not sure where it is set.

antmumford 4th October 2010 10:57 PM

It's set in New Mexico.

Just read Empires review and they said this:

Not asdeep as the original but certainly more of a crowdpleaser - and it's hard to imagine a more intelligent and well-crafted American horror being released this year. 4 Stars.

Had a feeling it would be a gooden, can't wait to see it even more now

nekromantik 4th October 2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 106575)
It's set in New Mexico.

Just read Empires review and they said this:

Not asdeep as the original but certainly more of a crowdpleaser - and it's hard to imagine a more intelligent and well-crafted American horror being released this year. 4 Stars.

Had a feeling it would be a gooden, can't wait to see it even more now

Hmm what do they mean bty crowd pleaser as 90% of the people I know that saw LTROI loved it so that was most certainly a crowd pleaser.
They said not as deep but that was gonna be obvious and is one of the reasons I love LTROI, its got so much to it thats beneath the surface. Even though they only hint at the gender of Eli.

antmumford 5th October 2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 106578)
Hmm what do they mean bty crowd pleaser as 90% of the people I know that saw LTROI loved it so that was most certainly a crowd pleaser.
They said not as deep but that was gonna be obvious and is one of the reasons I love LTROI, its got so much to it thats beneath the surface. Even though they only hint at the gender of Eli.

I absolutely adored Let The Right One In (film of the year) and there's no way this one will be better but what they mean is that it's more gorey with stronger scares to accommodate the more, I don't know, "modern" horror audience I guess. I'll definitely be checking it out. I'll let you all know what I think once I've seen it.

DeadAlive 5th October 2010 09:40 AM

Let The Right One In is one of my favourite vampire films ever. I loved the book too which goes a lot deeper into the seedy side of things. I've heard that Let Me In is mostly a scene for scene remake apart from the fact that it introduces a detective into the mix while taking out some of the drunks story. I'm hoping for good things, but I'm going to have to see it for myself before judging.

mercury 5th October 2010 11:07 AM

I too love "Let the right one in" and feel that a remake is unnessesary. It is all about money I feel, with the big companies having the buying power to get the rights holder to allow it. There we have "The girl with the dragon tattoo" getting a remake next year with Daniel Craig starring. I haven't seen this but have heard that it is good and will get soon.

But there are films such as Quarintine which I don't find any better or worse than REC(just my opinion). So there are some films which are remade well. As for let me in, I don't think this is one.

DeadAlive 5th October 2010 12:51 PM

The thinking goes like this. The general movie goer hates subtiles. Let The Right One In was a big money maker but the subtitles put some peolpe off. Lets remake it in English to grab the cash off those people. :tongue1:

Personally I don't mind subtitles - I'd estimate that over 30% of my DVD collection has them - but I do know quite a few people (My wife included.) who do not share my enthusiasm for reading as you watch. I can see why the remake from a purely money making aspect, but I think with Let Me In they have gote a strong cast and a director who loves the source material.

Hey, mercury. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (original) is well worth tracking down.