Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th August 2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 674789)
Is That on the Arrow Blu-Ray?

Yes, that's right.

MrBarlow 14th August 2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674796)
Yes, that's right.

The Arrow release is a far better viewing with sound and picture quality, the dvd import version I had put me off upgrading it bit glad I made that choice with the upgrade

MrBarlow 14th August 2022 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death bed: The Bed That Eats. 1977.

This somehow popped up on YouTube, I got no idea what made me watch it, and still puzzled how I sat through it all even though it's on 75 minutes long.

This has one setting a somewhat attempt at a Gothic manor type house with a artist who is a demon who lost his one true love and has taken form of a bed that consumes anyone who lays or sits on it. There is a narration over it that the artist/demon seems to explain that the bed must feed on human flesh in order to keep living.

There was a budget of $30.000 put into this but seems like it wasn't used a great deal, even for the special effects of someone loosing their hands. Did make me laugh at a old woman lying in the bed reading a article on "Oral Lesbians" and a book called "Tropic Of Cancer" either way she was probably eaten, just not in the way she wanted :lol:.

Attachment 241675

MrBarlow 14th August 2022 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Porky's. 1981.

In 1950s Florida, a group of high schoolers try to help their friend loose his virginity which takes them to get revenge of a redneck bar owner.

The build up to this is basically your typical teens growing up and learning about the birds and the bee's and also underage drinking and a bar that you probably want to enter if you know how to fight and a corrupt Sheriff. Seeing this at a young age and really not getting the jokes, and now sweating with laughter. A school coach finds out why a lot of people call her Lassie is probably memorable part, the female coach getting a grab of a teen peeking into the girl's showers was a laugh, but asking the headmaster for a line up was hysterical with the head coach trying to keep a straight face while two pupils make a joke out of it. At least the waitress at the diner had a sense of humour for calling out Mike Hunt.

Attachment 241685

trebor8273 14th August 2022 08:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nClTx_7_A

Have too agree with the other review the parts which Elvis is singing etc are excellent, but the rest of the film falls flat glossing over or missing important parts of the great man's life, what the hell was up with Tom Hanks performance it was bizarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YN1HoijXbg

A enjoyable but forgettable Steve Martin film which plays a uptight lawyer who gets involved with an ex con ( queen latifah) who wants him too look into her case and ends up taking over his life, we also have Eugene Levy as his best friend who has the hots for Latifah , we also have Betty White as his racist old biddy neighbour and Michael Rosenbaum with a terrible wig.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgHziCX4Kjc

nicholasrope 14th August 2022 09:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Tiger Cage II

A divorced Cop (Donnie Yen) ends up on the run with his ex-wife's Divorce Lawyer after some money goes missing.

When this Box Set got announced, this was the one I was looking forward too the most because back in the 90's (When I was much younger) this was the Video, I kept on looking at but never got because it was too much of an unknown as well as there was more pressing purchases at the time.

This was quite enjoyable with some very good set pieces, funny in places also. The only thing was I got muddled up on who some characters were but I had just come home from work and it was very hot that evening so I'm thinking that I just lost concentration, will give it another go soon.

Leap Of Faith

Steve Martin leads a group of Con-Artist group of Preachers who end up in a small town in the hope of a miracle. Liam Neeson is the tough Sherriff. One of those Films, I never got around to seeing and I quite enjoyed it.

Tiger Cage III

A pair of Financial Crime Detectives investigate a Businessman with a lot of dodgy dealings. This was the Film in the set that had the negative reviews and TBH, it's not all that bad really, again it has some good set pieces.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the 3 Tiger Cage Films and thought that it was worth the money, I paid for it. If you are unsure, then it's worth getting if it goes down in a sale.

Liar Liar

Jim Carrey is the Lawyer who is well versed in bending the truth and letting down his Son. Therefore when his Son wishes that his Dad has to tell the truth for 24 hours, hilarity ensues especially as a big Court case is that day.

This was a role that suited Carrey and I was hesitant watching this again as I thought it would follow Ace Ventura: Pet Detective as a Film that was great in the 90's but not as funny today. I was wrong, it still cracked me up.

Predator 2

The Predator returns and this time, it gets involved during a War between Police and rival Drug Gangs. My favorite Predator Movie, nice and violent and other than dragging on for 5-10 longer than it needed to at the end, it moved at a nice pace.

Today it dawned on me that this was a Danny Glover and Gary Busey reunion Movie lol.

MacBlayne 15th August 2022 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 674798)
Death bed: The Bed That Eats. 1977.

Probably the best thing about this is that it inspired Patton Oswalt's ridiculous concept pitch: Rape Stove: The Stove that Rapes People

MrBarlow 15th August 2022 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 674811)
Probably the best thing about this is that it inspired Patton Oswalt's ridiculous concept pitch: Rape Stove: The Stove that Rapes People

:pound::pound:

MrBarlow 15th August 2022 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When The Lights Went Out. 2012.

A family move into a new home in Yorkshire and shortly find out it is haunted by a poltergeist.

Based on the true story of the family and the The Black Monk of Pontefract, written and directed by Pat Holden who was a family member of the people who were tormented by the poltergeist activity. Living with a ghost and seek help from a priest and get turned down what do you do...blackmail him, that's what two guys do to get his attention and few funny sarcastic comments made which can give out a snigger or two.

The rest of the film does have it's horror and ghostly goings on with a decent cast that aren't scared to be thrown about or having things thrown at them. It does have it's predictable moments of jump scares, think the back story is a bit more scary than the film as a lot went on and we only see a small portion in the film. Still enjoyable to watch during this thunderstorm we had.

Attachment 241692

MacBlayne 15th August 2022 03:49 AM

Death Wish

DEATH WISH

Charles Bronson is Paul Kersey, eradicator of street trash, upholder of traditional values, and… Oh, hang on. We haven’t got that far yet.

Death Wish is a film that carries a certain reputation, brought about by its many sequels. While those films wallowed in excess, the first entry is almost alien to them. It shares the same setup – some close to Kersey is brutalised, and Keysey goes on a rampage. However, where the opening acts of brutality in the sequels are the trigger for Kersey’s spree of vengeance, Death Wish's opening scenes of violence is a long fuse that has Keysey descend into madness. It's worth stressing that Death Wish is not a revenge film. Kersey never finds the monsters who beat his wife to death and raped his daughter, and this is a key factor that makes the film very different from others with the series and genre.

Death Wish is a very controversial film, not just for the still-shocking level of violence, but for its alleged support of vigilantism. Of course, many self-appointed moral guardians often throw such accusations at other films, and these accusations often fall apart when you apply some critical analysis to them. But I think it’s a fair point in regards to Death Wish, so much so that the original author was horrified when he saw the finished film, and even Charles Bronson was somewhat bothered by it at the time.

I don’t think Death Wish supports vigilantism, but I do agree that it thinks the solution to rising crime is stricter punishments. Michael Winner was admittedly right-wing, and never shied from expressing conservative opinions. He strikes me as the type who thinks flogging should be brought back. But this was the period when Winner was a rather intelligent filmmaker, and he focuses more on Kersey’s gradual adoption of violence. Kersey is man whose entire world is ripped away from him in breathtakingly cruel fashion, and falls into a spiral of fear and paranoia. These are the negative traits that has him lash out in violence, and become the vigilante. But rather than turn into Batman, Winner introduces something disturbing. Kersey becomes a hero to the people, and a thorn to the police, but Kersey isn’t continuing his killing spree because he wants to stop crime. He continues because he likes it. He targets genuinely reprehensible people, luring them, and murdering them with glee. And here is where Winner turns the film back onto us. If we’re still watching, then surely we are enjoying watching Kersey kill these bastards? And what exactly is it that is stopping us from following Kersey’s methods ourselves? Is it our morality, or a fear of legal repercussions?

Death Wish is a truly “problematic” film. It taps into the more fascist element of society, and it’s not exactly disagreeing with it. But it is aware. It raises moral and philosophical musings about violence in society, and within us. Charles Bronson always said he was miscast. and Dustin Hoffman should have been Kersey. I disagree. Hoffman was amazing in Straw Dogs, which is a better, and far more intelligent film that looks at the animal hiding within man. However, Death Wish already has let the animal out of the cage, and is looking at why that loose animal is so appealing. Bronson nails that animal. By the end of Straw Dogs, Hoffman has transformed. By the end of Death Wish, Bronson hasn’t transformed. He’s just honest.