Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2022, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream (2022, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin/ Tyler Gillett)

Godard once said that a film is a girl and gun.
These two must have taken that to heart then
While I did laugh quite a lot during the last third of this flick, it's not really a laughing matter. Hypocritewood yet again shows itself to be empty of ideas. No loss really. The leads are bland bland bland.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2022, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nope (2022, Jordan Peele)

Bonny looking film. Whilst the story eventually appealed to the Farscape fan in me, this wasn't enough. Is he the new Shamalayan?
Not quite. Only time will tell ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2022, 09:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

How do you rate a film like this? A film that in no way could ever be as good or groundbreaking as the first two films in the series - The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Realistically you can't because in no way does it compare to either. In fact it's not as good as the underrated Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, however it does come out favorably compared to the two later movies - 2009's Salvation and 2015's Genisys. Thankfully what Dark Fate does do right is ignore anything that happened after T2 and is happily a sequel to that 1991 classic.

In it's own right this is a more than decent action film with one hell of an earlythrill ride of a set piece that begins in a factory and ends with lots of highway carnage. The film never really gets better than this but the introduction of Arnie's now happily married Terminator (Don't ask) takes the film up a notch. Pity this only happens an hour into the film.

There are plenty of issues with Terminator Dark Fate. Scripting issues that i'm sure are basically woke agenda driven, but i could ignore those while watching the action because it is on the whole very good....

...Until i start thinking about those issues all over again that is.

The Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-0-IvAHH5jr6GWDRM.jpg (96.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th August 2022, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crank. 2006.

Hitman Chev Chelios is poisoned and tries to find the ones who did it, along the way keeping his heart rate high.

Straight out film that is no way to be taken serious, Jason Statham plays the adrenaline fueled hitman who realises he has been given a cocktail and tries anything and everything to keep the heart pumping, even if it means pumping his girlfriend in Chinatown infront of a big crowd. It does not lack the brutal violence but on the other hand it's quite comical at the same time.

71Rz3we+6KL._AC_SY679_.jpg
Old 29th August 2022, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crank: High Voltage. 2009.

Jason Statham returns as the no luck hitman who seems to upset everyone in his way. This time Chev has his heart stolen by a Chinese mobster and replaced with a battery operated one that needs to be juiced with electricity.

Basically set three months after the first film, the pace is picked up pretty quick after the battery pack smashes and tries everything from, jumper cables, taser gun, dog behavior collar and static from rubbing against other people which results in a show with his girlfriend at a horse racing track. Like the previous film the action is there as is the comical moments that go with it.

51PNuVnVYML._AC_.jpg
Old 30th August 2022, 01:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Howard The Duck. 1986.

A film with George Lucas's name on it should have been a masterpiece to watch, but sadly this one went down quicker than the Titanic to the point of two executives decided to have a fisty fight and blame one another for loss. Yet after the theatrical release this became a cult classic and probably a firm favourite to some of us.

Lea Thompson plays the punk band leader who befriends the sarcastic humanoid Howard from Duckworld played by a few actors. Tim Robbins is the lab assistant but seems a bit dim witted and manages to bring a laugh. Jeffrey Jones is the scientist who's lab lazer beam brought Howard to Earth and hopes to reverse it until it goes wrong.

Zany mad cap comedy that does come with it's campy style, daft witted comments, the acting isn't that great but also not that terrible, while trying to take a serious tone it can become laughable with some adult humour mixed in. One of those guilty pleasure films for me.

MV5BZWQ5Y2FmMmItZjYzNC00Yzc5LWE0ZjYtMTI4YTA1ZGJkZjgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_QL75_UX190_.jpg
Old 30th August 2022, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tomio (2011, Junji Ito)

Charming wee tale about a young man who finds that medical professionals don't take his plight seriously for some reason ...
See who directed this? Then you know what to expect (factor in a smallish budget!!)
Only an hour long and it did feel kind of padded tbh. The initial impact is reasonable but it wavers towards the end. On YT so it won't cost you anything but time.

[B]
Old 30th August 2022, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghostbusters. 1984.

Probably one of the best family comedy movies to come out that everyone owned on VHS and wore the tape out...I know I did. Bill, Dan and Harold show how amateur they are right at the start thinking they are gonna see a ghost and end up running out the library more whiter than Michael Jackson could ever wish to be.

Sigourney Weaver plays the damsel in distress who thinks her apartment is haunted and turns out it's the main epicentre for the haunting. Rick Moranis is a laugh as the little nosey neighbour and shows his acting well with the party, able to do one shot and improvise his dialogue. Ernie Hudson appears and only through the second half of the film and able to to act serious and comedic at the same time. Annie Potts has the typical receptionist attitude on the way she answers the phone, nowadays you would getting your marching orders for the way she speaks. William Atherton plays to antagonist to the Ghostbusters and everyone's favourite EPA guy who lovingly gets showered in marshmallow and gets called a few good choice of names. Still a great classic film.

MV5BMTkxMjYyNzgwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE3MjYyMTE@._V1_.jpg
Old 31st August 2022, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghostbusters II. 1989.

Bill, Dan, Harold, Ernie all return with Sigourney, Annie and Rick to take on a possessed painting that looks like Wilhelm Von Homburg yet sounds like Max Von Sydow speaking...yeah that didn't go too well with Wilhelm being voiced over when he found out. In the previous one William Atherton was the main prick, in this it's Kurt Fuller who is the Mayor's aide and prick but he does a decent job.

So you got a river of slime under the city and feeding off bad vibes and negativity so you are going to tell people to be nice to each other and hope they listen good luck with that. There is laughs in this but seemed to be toned down a bit and trying to make a serious film, even with Peter MacNicol you can only laugh when he speaks.

97894.jpg
Old 31st August 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evolution. 2001.

Two university professors, a fire man cadet, and a female government agent try to save Arizona from a alien species that's evolving from a meteorite.

By no means is this film a solid masterpiece, yet it does have it's moments of being good and funny, David Duchovny stars with aliens again along with Orlando Jones who has a personnel close encounter with a alien than he would like to have. Julianne Moore plays the government clumsy agent who does bring some laughs and makes you wonder how be got to be a agent and Seann William Scott as the would be fire man and alien killer. Right from the first 10 mins or so it seems to be a take on the serious side of a Science-fiction movie then becomes a laugh and entertaining.

p27576_p_v8_ad.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!