Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2022, 12:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Escape From New York. 1981.

Ex soldier now convict Snake Plissken is tasked to go inside New York City which is now a prison and rescue the President within 24 hours.

A film that is 41 years old and still a great classic futuristic film, some scenes may be out dated but back then it wouldn't have mattered. Most of the back shot were created by James Cameron who was able to capture a perfect view of New York even though the film was made in St. Louis. Every time I hear Isaac Hayes speak, i'm waiting for him to say something sarcastic all thanks to South Park.

MV5BMTUzMTY0Nzg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU3MzQxMDE@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st September 2022, 08:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ninja American Warrior (1987, Godfrey Ho)

I find it's best to start the day with some Ho
Ricky and Amazonia have beef with The Shrew, an evil drug lord (are there any nice drug lords???), so let the madness commence.
It's always fun trying to guess which piece of appropriated ST will turn up, twas Joy Division in the last one, this time it's Joe Walsh
No Harrison this time, but that's ok. A hoot. Recommended. YT. Get on with it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st September 2022, 05:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MEN – Jessie Buckley is plagued by a seemingly endless supply of Rory Kinnear(s) in Alex Garland’s folk horror / social commentary / multi-Kinnear gimmick spectacular, ‘Men’. “A complete game changer” screams the blurb on the case – well, no, but I can imagine many finding it at least very striking (a few are bound to walk away nonplussed or irritated). Kinnear-ism aside, I think what it says or doesn’t say about gender is less interesting than Garland’s summoning of something vague and mythic behind placid English greenery. It seems inevitable that it should tug on memories of radiophonically soundtracked seventies UK horror, despite being anchored in the present; that approach is nothing new, but the atmosphere of ‘Men’ is pretty impeccable, a kind of sustained, low-key unreality not unlike that of a mundane dream steadily derailing, then erupting. Its use of mainstays is provocatively blunt. Shady back roads, country pile, the villagers are backwards or hostile… it would be impossible for rural horror not to happen, but WHAT happens is up for grabs. Its theme of a primal, ugly masculinity might be open to various interpretations, but nothing is really laboured (apart from all that monstrous birthing at the end). The old stand-bys of “is it real / supernatural / all in the character’s head” don’t seem all that relevant; ‘Men’, against the grain of its trad folk horror trappings, works more as a drifting weave of allusions. Its pagan echoes have a touch of the Machen-esque, but the stark weirdness of that naked guy somehow reminded me more of Aickman, as if the creepy dude from ‘The Same Dog’ had stepped from behind his wall… to rid us of all this Englishness, the finale brings it on with more out-there bonkers body horror than Lynch dreaming Cronenberg. Whether these references are in there I have no idea, but I really liked ‘Men’, a little less than ‘Annihilation’ maybe, but there’s no doubt that here is an authentic vision of weird horror.
Old 1st September 2022, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Tomio (2011, Junji Ito)

Charming wee tale about a young man who finds that medical professionals don't take his plight seriously for some reason ...
See who directed this? Then you know what to expect (factor in a smallish budget!!)
Only an hour long and it did feel kind of padded tbh. The initial impact is reasonable but it wavers towards the end. On YT so it won't cost you anything but time.
Is this live action or anime? I didn't know that Ito had done directing!
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st September 2022, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Crying Freeman

Mark Dacaascos is a Hitman for a Yakuza Group but falls foul of them when he falls in love with a Witness. This was a Film I was wanting to see and never got round to it (Did not realize it was from 1995) and with the 1st Live Action Manga Tag on the Cover, I thought it was slow and rather boring, I was kinda expecting a bloody, violent Film but never got it.

Maybe if I saw it earlier...who knows?

Beast

Idris Elba takes his Daughters to Africa where they and his friend, Sharlto Copley are attacked by a Lion, some dodgy CGI on the Lions really, it's not bad, if you're planning to watch a Film on National Cinema Day, it's a good alternative if the Film you are planning to see is busy/sold out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cf.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (8.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st September 2022, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A genetics company receive a DNA sample that is believed to be of alien origin , as you would expect someone is infected and starts change and goes on a gory killing spree. We have some good practical and gory special effects an enjoyable 90s sci-fi horror.

Another 1990 sci-fi / horror which enjoyed . Here a spaceship follows a distress signal and finds a deserted spacecraft , soon various problems arise, which are connect to the Bermuda triangle and the dark side of the moon, 665 different types of craft have disappeared and it looks like they are next.

Now watching

Old 1st September 2022, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Vacation (2015)

A second re-watch and still a hoot with some genuinely funny scenes. Christina Applegate's return to her old college house is class whilst Chris Hemsworth in his underwear is laugh out loud funny especially when Rusty exclaims "Did you see his six pack?" and everyone else, both actors and viewers, shout "No!"

It also helps that Ed Helms is a likable Rusty Griswold as is the always sparkling Applegate as wife Debbie. In fact Applegate completely steals the show on more than one occasion. It ends rather nicely with a visit to see Clark and Ellen and i felt it rather sweet seeing Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo again even if they were little more than cameos.

This is proving to be one of those comedies i return to and still really enjoy every couple of years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacation_poster.jpg (24.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st September 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

@ Trebor - Was Metamorphosis a dvd, blu or stream? It kinda rings a bell in that gloopy Alien / The Terror Within type way.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st September 2022, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@ Trebor - Was Metamorphosis a dvd, blu or stream? It kinda rings a bell in that gloopy Alien / The Terror Within type way.
Watched it on YouTube , same with all ones listed .
Old 1st September 2022, 11:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Is this live action or anime? I didn't know that Ito had done directing!
Ah, I should have said ahem. It's live action. Bad Demon!
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!