Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984)

Note to self - This is nothing but a cheap medieval knock off of Fistful of Dollars with David Carradine in the Eastwood role.

Not only that, it's pretty shit.

YOU DO NOT NEED THIS ON BLU-RAY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf.jpg (74.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984)

Note to self - This is nothing but a cheap medieval knock off of Fistful of Dollars with David Carradine in the Eastwood role.

Not only that, it's pretty shit.

YOU DO NOT NEED THIS ON BLU-RAY.
Thanks for the heads up Dem
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bandit (2022, Allan Ungar)

True crime caper with the Gibson popping up every so often. Recommend this one. Likeable cast helps.

Daimajin
(1966, Kimiyoshi Yasuda)

First in a trilogy. Went round to mates to show him one (wait for it ... ) and he put this on in return. From that new Arrow set. Bonny looking flick. One of the odder Kaiju flicks I've seen. Recommended also.

Scorpion Thunderbolt (1988, Godfrey Ho)

This is the one I brought. This is going on Boxing Day. To describe it would be pointless. This is the most Ho thing that I've ever seen (his trademark of sewing together films ... it's at a peak here).
Yes, Harrison pops up , but at least this time he isn't wearing that silly headband ahem. Highly recommended.

Deadliest Prey (2013, David A Prior)

Yes, it's a sequel to Deadly Prey. Some might call it a rehash, but and? Ted Prior dons the shorts one more time. You'll laugh, cry and jump for joy all at the same time (this might have been the drink though )
A hoot, for the same reasons the parent was.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 24th September 2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

AMULET – Semi-arthouse take on the occult about a solider whose life on sentry-post duties in the Balkans was disrupted by the arrival of a refugee and the appearance of an amulet. Adrift in London, he ends up in a strange household where a woman tends to her mysterious, attic-bound mother. Things get progressively weirder after the solider starts a relationship with daughter and starts to find bats in toilets etc. It’s hard to balance split narratives, but the two strands of ‘Amulet’ unravel elegantly enough – maybe a bit too elegantly, it’s a very slow and poised film and it can’t quite get beyond a slight ponderousness. Perhaps I was looking for something more stylistically oblique; that said, the imagery and atmospherics gradually simmer up a nicely claustrophobic feeling and build to a conclusion that makes a bizarre but not unwelcome leap into sci-fi body horror territory. A baffling pay-off for some maybe, but a satisfying end to a slow burn that might just get under your skin. Interesting debut and worth checking.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Challenge for Robin Hood (1967)

Hammer's final Robin Hood feature film and what a romp this is. The likable Barrie Ingham replaces Richard Greene as Robin Hood in a kind of origins story for the character, starting out a noble betrayed by his cousin over an inheritance and on the run with good friend Friar Tuck (James Hayter) where he meets Alan-a-Dale and his small band of outlaws hiding out in the forest.

What follows is an excellent swashbuckler which i enjoyed just as much as Sword of Sherwood Forest earlier in the week. Peter Blythe and John Arnatt make for excellent villains as the murderous Roger de Courtenay and devious Sheriff of Nottingham and the action is breezily directed by C. M. Pennington-Richards who i'd only previously known from light comedies such as Double Bunk (1961).

Whilst you can't really compare a film like this to more recent takes on Robin Hood i did notice that large swathes of Ridley Scott's 2010 Robin Hood film had been shall we say inspired by A Challenge for Robin Hood.

Hugely enjoyable. I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase of Indicator's Robin Hood at Hammer box set.

On forty nine minutes exactly there's one glaring anachronism in view. See if you spot it. (Actually if you watch it you really can't miss it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (100.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th September 2022, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
AMULET – Semi-arthouse take on the occult about a solider whose life on sentry-post duties in the Balkans was disrupted by the arrival of a refugee and the appearance of an amulet. Adrift in London, he ends up in a strange household where a woman tends to her mysterious, attic-bound mother. Things get progressively weirder after the solider starts a relationship with daughter and starts to find bats in toilets etc. It’s hard to balance split narratives, but the two strands of ‘Amulet’ unravel elegantly enough – maybe a bit too elegantly, it’s a very slow and poised film and it can’t quite get beyond a slight ponderousness. Perhaps I was looking for something more stylistically oblique; that said, the imagery and atmospherics gradually simmer up a nicely claustrophobic feeling and build to a conclusion that makes a bizarre but not unwelcome leap into sci-fi body horror territory. A baffling pay-off for some maybe, but a satisfying end to a slow burn that might just get under your skin. Interesting debut and worth checking.
Noted!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th September 2022, 04:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BZjMyNGViMWMtMjlhMy00OTQxLTkzODQtNDA5NGI1NDYwZTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (1978)

Another movie from the archives that I had not watched in a long time.
The movie retains it power and its still pretty hard to watch the relentless attacks on Jennifer.
I remember when the video was banned, I was working in DIXONS at the time and someone who worked there managed to rent a copy from under the counter and we watched it on and off in the store!
Old 24th September 2022, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Challenge for Robin Hood (1967)

Hammer's final Robin Hood feature film and what a romp this is. The likable Barrie Ingham replaces Richard Greene as Robin Hood in a kind of origins story for the character, starting out a noble betrayed by his cousin over an inheritance and on the run with good friend Friar Tuck (James Hayter) where he meets Alan-a-Dale and his small band of outlaws hiding out in the forest.

What follows is an excellent swashbuckler which i enjoyed just as much as Sword of Sherwood Forest earlier in the week. Peter Blythe and John Arnatt make for excellent villains as the murderous Roger de Courtenay and devious Sheriff of Nottingham and the action is breezily directed by C. M. Pennington-Richards who i'd only previously known from light comedies such as Double Bunk (1961).

Whilst you can't really compare a film like this to more recent takes on Robin Hood i did notice that large swathes of Ridley Scott's 2010 Robin Hood film had been shall we say inspired by A Challenge for Robin Hood.

Hugely enjoyable. I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase of Indicator's Robin Hood at Hammer box set.

On forty nine minutes exactly there's one glaring anachronism in view. See if you spot it. (Actually if you watch it you really can't miss it)
I enjoyed this a bit more than the other film actually, really fun! The cast was really good and the story, while a bit more traditional, was really engaging and exciting! James Hayter!

As for 49 mins, I did rewind it to make sure I saw what I thought I saw haha

Both look bloody fantastic in the Indicator box set and like you, I'm glad I took a gamble on two unseen films to buy it. 100% staying in my collection, will rewatch multiple times over the years I think.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th September 2022, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I enjoyed this a bit more than the other film actually, really fun! The cast was really good and the story, while a bit more traditional, was really engaging and exciting! James Hayter!

As for 49 mins, I did rewind it to make sure I saw what I thought I saw haha

Both look bloody fantastic in the Indicator box set and like you, I'm glad I took a gamble on two unseen films to buy it. 100% staying in my collection, will rewatch multiple times over the years I think.
Plus it's every bit as sadistic as a Hammer horror. I'm pretty sure no child in a Hammer horror was ever hunted in the woods by someone with a crossbow trying to kill them.
Old 25th September 2022, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Aces: Iron Eagle III

Lou Gossett Jr. is back and this time, he tries and get revenge on Drug Dealers who murdered one of his students. He is assisted by his Air Show Pilot friends. Again not a bad effort, worth a watch if you come across any of The Iron Eagle Movies.

Out Of The Dark

1989 Film which sees a Serial Killer (In a Clown Mask) target Girls who work on a Chat Line. I distinctly remember seeing The Trailer on Maniac Cop (Back in the day) and whilst there was a chance that it may appear on Blu-ray eventually, I was pleasantly surprised (And shocked LOL) that it appeared on Talking Pictures in the early hours, one Saturday Morning and whilst before watching it, I thought that it wouldn't be as good now, I really enjoyed it. Would have loved it if I had seen it in 89-90.

Elvis

Film was same as I previously reviewed it and an interesting omission from The Blu-Ray was no Deleted Scenes. Possibly that rumored 4hr version becoming a reality?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aieIII.jpg (15.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ootd.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (18.5 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!