Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2022, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

To the Devil... a Daughter

Watched it again last night. I'm guessing most people here have seen it so I'm not reviewing it. I just wanted to say imho, that despite the crappy ending, this is a bit of a gem hiding in plain sight.
Old 5th November 2022, 09:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
To the Devil... a Daughter

Watched it again last night. I'm guessing most people here have seen it so I'm not reviewing it. I just wanted to say imho, that despite the crappy ending, this is a bit of a gem hiding in plain sight.
Don't know why but you just reminded me that Hammer's last film The Lodge - which had just had good word of mouth and an expanded second week of release in America when Covid hit and civilization collapsed - is yet to get a physical release in the UK.

You'd think someone would put out a film starring Alicia Silverstone, Riley Keogh and Richard Armitage. Especially when it has positive reviews everywhere from Rotten Tomatoes to Meta critic.
MacBlayne, nicholasrope and Rob4 like this.
Old 6th November 2022, 11:10 AM
Cult Veteran

I’d never even heard of that one! It’d be a shame if gets buried. Does Hammer even have a UK distribution deal for their contemporary stuff?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th November 2022, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vengeance Is Mine. 2021.

Harry is a grief stricken man mourning the loss of his wife and daughter in a hit and run incident. He manages to teach were the killers are and goes on a path of revenge.

Con O'Neill plays Harry who is balancing between life and death right at the start we see his anguish and suffering yet manages to see sense. This isn't like any other revenge type movie, there is some character build up and when he does find the people he wants he does take a bullet or two. There is some good cinemaphotography used in this and visual effects but it can be a slow burner at times.

MV5BNTNiN2Q2NjMtZTE2OC00MWM0LTk3N2YtODdlMTNhOWZmNWMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th November 2022, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young woman goes out her way to deliver a pair of song birds too a man , ok this is a excuse as it's pretty obvious she wants to sit on his face. But she should of just stayed at home and stroke her cat as the birds in the region are acting strangely and soon go on all out attack on the townsfolk .

Highly enjoyable with a bunch of interesting characters and some chilling scenes the one with the birds on the school climbing frame pops too mind. The town had too have the world's most useless sheriff. I can't be the only one who want the birds too peck the eyes out of the old women in the cafe.

The Batman returns over a decade being retired when things are even worse in Gotham with a new gang the mutants and having to deal with two face, a new police commission and the joker. But his greatest battle to come is with his once greatest ally Superman.

A great animated movie of a fantastic Batman story.

Now watching.

Old 6th November 2022, 09:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992)

Filmed eight years after the original film but set not too long after, The Final Sacrifice sees the remaining children of Gatling being adopted by the residents of their neighboring town. Not long after the children begin returning to the cornfields as one of their number , Micah, is possessed by 'He who walks behind the rows'.

Similar to the first film this centers around two strangers to the area. A journo father who is trying to write a story on the wrong doings in Gatlin and his estranged son, who quickly become embroiled in the new cult.

Although not as eerie and shrouded in folk lore as the earlier film this sequel is probably a more entertaining affair. There are some pretty fun dodgy Predator style vision FX for whatever stalks the cornfields as well as one or two cool set pieces. The cast are all fairly likable - not Micah of course, he's a bastard you'll want dead immediately - who this time include an old native American guy who tells of 'Nature out of balance with the spirit world' and other awesome lines which i love in films like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChildrenoftheCorn2.jpg (21.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th November 2022, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Driven to Kill. 2009.

Ex Russian mobster now crime novelist Ruslan is forced to go back to his old ways when his ex wife and daughter are attacked and left for dead.

Steven Seagal tries his best with a Russian accent but at times he let's slip his own accent. Just what you expect from a Seagal movie in the 2000s, over the top acting, plenty of fights and some laughs. The knife fight in this lasted longer than the one he had with Tommy Lee Jones in Under Seige. I'm sure we all have our favourite Seagal movies but this was his decent film after Exit Wounds.

download.jpeg
Old 6th November 2022, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost Chase. 1987.

The spirit of a dead butler that resides in a old grandfather clock helps the family descendant to find the inheritance he deserves.

I always remember seeing this on the old vhs rental shop but never actually watched it. Jason Lively plays the last family member who is cheated out by his greedy uncle and along with his friend Tim McDaniel and a ghost who posses a movie prop called Louis seek the family fortune. Aside from Roland Emmerich directing it, this is no way a great movie, it seemed more aimed at young kids but still has a lot of humour that does appeal to adults and helped pass time away. Worth a rewatch...I'd say yeah definitely.

MV5BZmQxZTg1M2YtZTlhOC00MTEwLWI3ODYtZjMxYjJhMjYwOGU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg
Old 7th November 2022, 12:18 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Driven to Kill. 2009.

Ex Russian mobster now crime novelist Ruslan is forced to go back to his old ways when his ex wife and daughter are attacked and left for dead.

Steven Seagal tries his best with a Russian accent but at times he let's slip his own accent. Just what you expect from a Seagal movie in the 2000s, over the top acting, plenty of fights and some laughs. The knife fight in this lasted longer than the one he had with Tommy Lee Jones in Under Seige. I'm sure we all have our favourite Seagal movies but this was his decent film after Exit Wounds.
A good one this.

I have it in a three film set along with The Keeper and A Dangerous Man and all three are superior to much of his direct to dvd tat.

I remember a few years ago i counted how many Seagal movies i had on dvd and it was over forty.
Old 7th November 2022, 02:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal. 2001.

A plane thats due to have a live performance broadcasted is hijacked in mid flight.

Marilyn Manson wannabe Slade Craven played by John Mannn on a plane thats been hijacked and has to try and be the hero. Rutger Hauer and Joe Mantega seem to be in this purely for a good pay check as their acting abilities are wasted, even Craig Sheffer returns in a different role and seems to be in it for the laughs and somewhat serious tone. This one can be a one time watch for me.

download (1).jpeg

Like this? Share it using the links below!