Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 27th November 2022 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basic. 2003.

A D.E.A. agent is brought in to investigate the disappearance of a drill instructor and his cadets when only two are found alive in the jungle of Panama.

Anything with Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta headlining a film is bound to work and John McTiernan directing made this enjoyable. Two soldiers found alive and telling two different stories does make a good plot twist. This isn't exactly a edge of your seat film but certainly draws in your attention as to how it will work out and Connie Nielsen looking great in a uniform.

Attachment 243623

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2022 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Captain Clegg (1962)

A classic Hammer adventure yarn about smuggling with a great horror element as ghostly skeletal riders haunt Romney Marshes to scare off the curious as Captain Clegg (a brilliant Peter Cushing) and his band of looters go about their nefarious business.

I love this film, it has a beautiful blend of action, superstition, romance and of course good old skull duggery. Yvonne Romain adds beauty to proceedings, as Oliver Reed, a square jawed Naval captain Patrick Allen and yes, Michael Ripper, bring the swash and buckle whilst the ghost riders look terrific.

Although closer to Poldark and Jamaica Inn than it is to Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein, Captain Clegg is still a brilliant slice of coastal Gothic melodrama.

I'm sure the Indicator Blu-ray print looked more vibrant than the Final Cut release from 2014.

Dave Boy 28th November 2022 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 243629
FULL METAL JACKET (1987)

Stanley Kubrick's Vietnam movie. The movie follows Matthew Modine's 'Joker' through the training and then posting to Vietnam where he ends up in the nightmare city of Hue.
Powerful movie with some intense scenes. The first half of the movie set in basic training with the abusive drill instructor are just incredible.
I had not seen this movie for a long while so good to revisit.

MrBarlow 28th November 2022 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Island Of Death. 1973.

A perverted couple arrive at a Greek Island with murder on their mind.

This is one of those "Video Nasties" that lives up to it's reputation of being banned, a oversexually couple that are infact brother and sister who phone up their mother while having sex in a phonebox. A guy gets rejected for having a bit of "Morning Glory" and decides the local goat will be his mate (animal cruelty and killing seen), this couple seem to be spouting the lord and his glory for the residents being sinners, yet how many sins have they broken? One of these films you feel disgusted by yet still watch to the end to see how it pans out.

Attachment 243633

Demoncrat 28th November 2022 06:32 PM

How I love that film. A charming family tale as old as time ... :nod::laugh::behindsofa:

nicholasrope 28th November 2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679186)
I enjoyed this, probably more than I expected. As you say, it does cover familiar territory for a 'home invasion' film, though the ending shows that the storyline and homeowners were unlike any seen in any other from this subgenre.

As the full title is Matilda the Musical (or Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical), this is principally a film adaptation of the hit musical, rather than a remake of Danny DeVito's film of the same name.

I know they have the same source material, but this took the story from Dennis Kelly's book – he wrote the screenplay – and the songs, by Tim Minchin, are mostly the same as those in the Matilda the Musical stage version.

I've seen DeVito's film several times and it's one I thoroughly enjoy so, because I haven't seen the stage adaptation and think Tim Minchin is a funny and talented songwriter, I'm interested to see this musical version of Dahl's story.

With Greatest Showman, the songs were catchy and memorable. The Songs in Matilda The Musical were not, in my opinion.

nicholasrope 28th November 2022 09:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Predator

Classic 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger flick which sees him lead a team of Soldiers into the Jungle to rescue some Prisoners. However something else is in the Jungle as well. Still as good as ever, even though I am curious to see what the Jean Claude-Van Damme version would have been like.

Oh yeah, I picked up The Predator Blu-Ray Box Set (Containing Predator, Predator 2, Predators and The Predator) for much less than a stand alone copy of Predator Blu-Ray (Plus the Black Friday discount)

Starship Troopers

Gleefully violent Film in which Humans and Spacebugs are at war. This is a joy to watch with Clancy Brown being the best character. I think Paul Verhoven went back to Robocop style with the news type reports.

Ebola Syndrome

Classy, discreet. tolerant, decency are not words I'll be describing this one with. What it is a Film that delivers what was promised and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A man (with no redeeming qualities) murders his boss and lover and goes on the run to South Africa where after Raping a tribeswoman, I ends up with the Ebola Virus and takes it back to Hong Kong, where he passes it along to unsuspecting people.

This was my 1st Cat III Film and I do wonder if Untold Story will be coming (It was mentioned a lot in the booklet) and it was certainly something, I did enjoy it.

I wonder if the Script Writer for the original American Pie got inspiration for a certain scene from this Film.

Oh yeah, what was the Examiner for The BBFC smoking before viewing this. I thought that the Rape Scenes alone would have been an issue.

Oh Well

Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves

Kevin Costner is Robin Hood, Alan Rickman is incredible as The Sheriff Of Nottingham, don't think I need to say anymore about the Film really.

Wasn't impressed with the picture quality of The Arrow Blu-Ray, the scenes in the dark looked grainy to me also it was weird seeing The Arrow Intro on a major WB Film.

MrBarlow 28th November 2022 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beyond The Darkness. 1979.

A taxidermist exhumes his recently deceased girlfriend's body from her grave and brings her back to his villa, along with his creepy housekeeper he tries to find the perfect replacement for his lost love.

Another weird yet strangely entertaining film from the mind of Joe D'Amato with a someone borderline sleaze/necrophilia to it, the guy brings home three different women at one point and they all appear very nude and meet a somewhat grizzly death and being hacked up. His mature housekeeper knows about his sanity yet seems to have affection for him...whatever floats your boat. The villa ain't quite Gothic as it appears to be but it's another film you watch right to the end to see how it unfolds.

Attachment 243639

Demoncrat 29th November 2022 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 679256)
Beyond The Darkness. 1979.

A taxidermist exhumes his recently deceased girlfriend's body from her grave and brings her back to his villa, along with his creepy housekeeper he tries to find the perfect replacement for his lost love.

Another weird yet strangely entertaining film from the mind of Joe D'Amato with a someone borderline sleaze/necrophilia to it, the guy brings home three different women at one point and they all appear very nude and meet a somewhat grizzly death and being hacked up. His mature housekeeper knows about his sanity yet seems to have affection for him...whatever floats your boat. The villa in't quite Gothic as it appears to be but it's another film you watch right to the end to see how it unfolds.

Attachment 243639

My favourite romantic film. Bar none. :nod::pop2::loveeyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th November 2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679198)
I must pick this up on Blu at some point. Same goes for La La land.

I streamed it on Disney+ where it is in 4K with HDR, and it looks outstanding.

La La land is, similarly, an AV treat that should be enjoyed in the highest format possible. It's a film long overdue another watch, so that might be something to remedy later this week.