Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 22nd July 2013 05:45 PM

Wolf
Forgotten how I love this movie, a great take on the werewolf movie, with a top notch cast and fantastic performances especially Nicholson (as usual) who even in scenes without makeup gives a amazing portrayal of his lupine nature. Definitely a better love story than twilight then just about anything else is. But for some reason I kept expecting to see Kelsey grammer! 9.5/10

demonknight 22nd July 2013 05:52 PM

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer

Wanted to love this movie but I couldn't
Not even the great Robert Englund could rescue
this movie, though he was quite funny in it.
The 'Monsters' of the title really only appeared in the
last twenty five minutes or so.
No, not happy :doh:

bdc 22nd July 2013 06:58 PM

http://oi39.tinypic.com/atpwya.jpg

WIthIN aka The Cavern (2005)

2005 seems to have been the year of cave-horror with The Descent,The Cave and this film being released (does anyone know of others btw?).

Not bad at all and better than The Cave (starts great but runs out of steam quickly,especially the finale is rather meh) imho.

I'd describe it as The Descent meets Cold Prey. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 353912)
[B]I'd describe it as The Descent meets Cold Prey. ;)

I hadn't heard of this but, with a description like that, I'll definitely give it a watch.

bdc 22nd July 2013 07:06 PM

Curious about your findings Nos. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 353915)
Curious about your findings Nos. ;)

Is this the one? The Cavern [DVD], New DVD, , 5035822492233 | eBay

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:13 PM

I've always steered clear of The Cavern as The Cave put me off potholing movies for good.

Wow - no one on Amazon has a good word to say about it. From 20 reviews. :eek:

bdc 22nd July 2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 353918)

Yes,that's the one.

trebor8273 22nd July 2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 353919)
I've always steered clear of The Cavern as The Cave put me off potholing movies for good.

Lots of films I love that have gotten poor reviews from amazon, that's why I take the reviews especially horrors on amazon with a very large pinch of salt, what's funny is when you look at what other films some of them have reviewed and actually like!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 353920)
Yes,that's the one.

Plenty of people sell it for 1p (plus postage) as Amazon, so this might be worth a blind buy.

Rondadoronron 22nd July 2013 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched this today GORDON'S ALIVE! ,yes he is Prince Vultan and he's gonna punch Mings face in.

bdc 22nd July 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 353919)

I found a positive review. ;)

"3.0 out of 5 stars The Cavern, 17 Dec 2010
By mr. michael healy (york., york. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cavern [DVD] (DVD)
Strange tension building.At first predicable story board.Then not so shure,twists and turns in the cave and in the way the tension builds.Shocks and confuses viewer throughout leading to a shocking and unpredicable climax.May be a low budget film but limitations of budget soon forgot as tension mounts."

Btw the shaking camera is not that bad/often used in this one and I hate shaking cameras.
People complain much of it plays in the dark...they're in a cave what do they expect? :lol:

If you can get it for 1p...

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 353921)
Lots of films I love that have gotten poor reviews from amazon, that's why I take the reviews especially horrors on amazon with a very large pinch of salt, what's funny is when you look at what other films some of them have reviewed and actually like!

I very much agree with you, but i would still expect to see someone stick up for a film.

3.1 on IMDB and 34% on Rotten Tomatoes as well. :lol:

I've ordered it anyway. :loco:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:23 PM

I've just ordered one, so I'll let you know what I think in due course.

bdc 22nd July 2013 07:27 PM

Like I mentioned on the previous page I found a positive review Dem. ;)

Hope you both at least enjoy it somewhat.

Nordicdusk 22nd July 2013 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 114975

What can i say only AWESOME :pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 353930)
Like I mentioned on the previous page I found a positive review Dem. ;)

Hope you both at least enjoy it somewhat.

I missed your post Bdc. Sometimes when its the last on a page and you post the first on the next it never takes you back to the unread post. :)

keirarts 23rd July 2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 353839)
Night of the demons

Was not expecting much especially from the box art work but people on here keep saying how good it is. Really enjoyed it found it funny and atmospheric, some good kills and effects on the whole a lot better than I was expecting, can see now why people are wanting a upgrade to blu ray, which I would buy when and if it happens. 8.5/10

Parts 2 and 3 are worth checking out as well. Part 2 was made by Aussie exploitation maestro BRIAN TRENCHARD-SMITH and is out on Blu-ray (region locked) from Olive films. It looks spiffing and has a commentary.

Part 3 should cost next to nothing. Out in the UK as DEMON HOUSE http://www.amazon.co.uk/Demon-House-...ds=demon+house

and will set you back less than 2 quid including postage.

SCM 23rd July 2013 09:23 AM

Watched Signs last night for the first time in 9 years, used to love this film. Now, however, I felt it was awful

trebor8273 23rd July 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 353972)
Parts 2 and 3 are worth checking out as well. Part 2 was made by Aussie exploitation maestro BRIAN TRENCHARD-SMITH and is out on Blu-ray (region locked) from Olive films. It looks spiffing and has a commentary.

Part 3 should cost next to nothing. Out in the UK as DEMON HOUSE http://www.amazon.co.uk/Demon-House-...ds=demon+house

and will set you back less than 2 quid including postage.

Got the third one but never watched it, think it was about 25p from cex!

gag 23rd July 2013 12:47 PM

No one lives ,

Wondering if its a film worth watching ?
Because the title gives it away as in everyone dies so you know how it ends, or if anyone survived then wasn't the title false advertising mmmm..:rolleyes:

I'm watching as it as I type this ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd July 2013 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Easy Rider (1969) Vanishing Point (1971)

Two classic, extremely influential films, both essentially road trips discovering America and both seen as a free spirited reaction against the values of society. Two films with fantastic photography and even better soundtracks. Vanishing Point being more of a spectacular road chase movie than the laid back Easy Rider. Each film has its heroes meeting oddball characters on their journey.

Much has been written about both films and their portrayals of American life and values, yet not so much how i see them. To me both films, Easy Rider in particular, are bittersweet tragedies verging on horror. Sure, neither film features chainsawing wielding psycopaths or homicidal rapists on the hunt for young women, but neither film ends well for the characters we come to love as the films progress.

Easy Rider in particular ends so matter of factly its downright disturbing. Our riders Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda both gunned down, basically for having long hair and riding motorcycles, which the locals in the American south didn't approve of. Its this sequence, the murder of free spirit which is genuinely horrifying has has a greater feel of despair and horror than the majority of fear films that set out to achieve these ends.

In the case of Vanishing Point's Kowalski, he takes that much speed and other drugs during his high speed pursuits his faculties are clearly twisted as the inevitable conclusion nears with his task near completion. Our other reference point in the film - Super Soul - brilliantly portrayed by Cleavon Little - receives a beating almost unnecesarily from the locals which jars the viewer into reality from all the high speed fun.

Easy Rider and Vanishing Point - horror films because they fail to conform to what possibly the viewer and certainly society see as the norm.

Demoncrat 23rd July 2013 04:35 PM

Watched Near Dark. It has been a while and I may have detected some clunk after all this time, but it still beats the donkey piss out of The Least Boys:nod:

IMO.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd July 2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 354028)
Watched Near Dark. It has been a while and I may have detected some clunk after all this time, but it still beats the donkey piss out of The Least Boys:nod:

IMO.

YES!!!

trebor8273 23rd July 2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 354028)

IMO.

Near dark is the better movie but I find lost boys a lot more fun but both are a million times better than those twilight movies.

Rik 23rd July 2013 05:36 PM

I'm not rising to the bait here :lol:

I watched the DC of the Wicker Man earlier today, can't wait to see this classic in HD, especially the poor quality inserts on the DVD upgraded for the first time :woot:

Slippery Jack 23rd July 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 354039)
I watched the DC of the Wicker Man earlier today, can't wait to see this classic in HD, especially the poor quality inserts on the DVD upgraded for the first time :woot:

Ditto. Yeah, some of those inserts are rotten, especially when it happens within the same shot. I wonder when we'll get news of any newly unearthed footage . . . ?

Rik 23rd July 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 354041)
Ditto. Yeah, some of those inserts are rotten, especially when it happens within the same shot. I wonder when we'll get news of any newly unearthed footage . . . ?

Hopefully soon :pray:

Slippery Jack 23rd July 2013 06:10 PM

Looking forward to the alternate ending where Howie manages to pilot the Wicker Man like a Pacific Rim Jaeger, and uses it to kill all the townsfolk and walk across the sea to freedom :nod: . . .

Rik 23rd July 2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 354043)
Looking forward to the alternate ending where Howie manages to pilot the Wicker Man like a Pacific Rim Jaeger, and uses it to kill all the townsfolk and walk across the sea to freedom :nod: . . .

Dammit SJ, where's the SPOILER TAGS around that post, cancelling my pre-order now the endings ruined for me :mmph:

Hawkmonger 23rd July 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 354043)

Cage really had no need to whine if this was what was in store for him.:pound:

troggi 23rd July 2013 11:19 PM

Finished work early today, six weeks until I go back and Mrs troggi has a few jobs for me to do around the cave so I took time this afternoon to watch "Kill Zombie" that I had recorded last month from the Horror Channel.

"Kill Zombie" is quite a funny film, had me laughin' anyway but everybody knows I'll laugh at anythin'! This Dutch effort has some great set pieces, so what if y' can see the joins on the CGI bits, it adds to the charm. Stand out performance for me was that of the very beautiful Gigi Ravelli in the strong female role of a no-nonsense, kick-ass cop. 18/10 loses a couple of points for crap CGI.

Tonight I decided to watch the CG animation "Resident Evil: Degeneration". I got so caught up in it that I honestly started to forget about the CGI and watch it almost as a live action! Okay, the CGI isn't that good and the storyline is a bit crappy but I enjoyed it. 10/10 for a decent attempt at a CG film of a big name franchise.

SCM 24th July 2013 10:17 AM

Watched the remake of Maniac last night, loved it; Elijah Wood did a tremendous job of acting in the film, soundtrack was great and loved how they did the first person narrative

Edgeworth 24th July 2013 10:36 AM

Watched Evil Clergymen, played like an episode of Masters of Horror. Did enjoy it though!

Castle Freak is excellent, PQ drops in a few places but otherwise good BD package.

Rik 24th July 2013 04:07 PM

I've no idea which Pacific Rim film some of you guys have seen, but the one me and my son have just watched was frigging awesome, didn't find any of it boring and I didn't once think I was watching a Michael Bay film (who's films I happen to enjoy, especially the oft panned Transformers films). Parts were predictable, but most films are these days, so that wasn't a shock.
Definite day one purchase for me and I'm considering taking him again, but this time in 3D, that's how much we both enjoyed it!

Slippery Jack 24th July 2013 04:24 PM

Rewatched Kill List last night. Only just noticed a certain thing towards the end in the shape of the cult symbol :doh: Not that it 'explains' anything, but it was a nice touch I thought . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 354135)
I've no idea which Pacific Rim film some of you guys have seen, but the one me and my son have just watched was frigging awesome, didn't find any of it boring and I didn't once think I was watching a Michael Bay film (who's films I happen to enjoy, especially the oft panned Transformers films). Parts were predictable, but most films are these days, so that wasn't a shock.
Definite day one purchase for me and I'm considering taking him again, but this time in 3D, that's how much we both enjoyed it!

I'm surprised as well Rik.

Its clear what its about -Giant robots and monsters beating the shit out of each other. If it doesn't float your boat then why the hell have you bought a ticket?

Personally i'm not bothered about seeing it, but its target audience should love it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 05:14 PM

I'm going to see Pacific Rim tomorrow and have kept a completely open mind so far, so will be able to watch it without any expectations one way or the other.

J Harker 24th July 2013 05:19 PM

I've not got around to going to see Pacific Rim yet, but I do find it odd hearing comments such as this made by.my brother-in-law - "It was ok but it's just big robots bashing big monsters".
Well erm...what were you expecting??

Rik 24th July 2013 05:26 PM

I would definitely have waited for a rental if my son hadn't wanted to watch it, but as soon as he saw the trailer he pretty much demanded that I take him :lol: