Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th December 2022 06:28 PM

Decemberdike # 7

1 Attachment(s)
The Deeper You Dig (2019)

Quite an amazing film. The Deeper You Dig is a film by the Adams family. John Adams, spouse Toby Poser and teenage daughter Zelda Adams, together with their other daughter Lulu who was in college at the time of making this film, they do pretty much everything. Acting, directing, photography, sound, music, editing...the lot.

John plays a guy who loves his beer and is doing up a house in the woods. One night he has too much to drink before driving home. Out of the blue he knocks down a local Goth girl (Zelda) thinks he's killed her, panics and takes her back to his house. Once there, dumped in the bath tub she awakens but John in even more of a panic kills her then decides to bury her in the woods, except the ground is frozen so she isn't buried too deep.

Realising her daughter is missing, a con artist medium (Toby) begins searching for her as Zelda keeps appearing to her in dreams. Toby becomes suspicious of John, who by this time has dismembered the body as Zelda is haunting his waking life too, then things really begin to escalate.

After a while the whole film becomes almost dream like, aided by some wonderfully eerie music and sound effects as well as terrific cinematography. The snowbound rural locations are very much a character in their own right here and really add to the overall ominous hugely atmospheric tone of the film.

In a way a film like this shouldn't really be as good as it is but The Deeper You Dig is downright captivating viewing and truly original horror film making with it.

Demoncrat 8th December 2022 09:13 PM

Noted!!!

Justin101 8th December 2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679555)
The Deeper You Dig (2019)

Quite an amazing film. The Deeper You Dig is a film by the Adams family. John Adams, spouse Toby Poser and teenage daughter Zelda Adams, together with their other daughter Lulu who was in college at the time of making this film, they do pretty much everything. Acting, directing, photography, sound, music, editing...the lot.

John plays a guy who loves his beer and is doing up a house in the woods. One night he has too much to drink before driving home. Out of the blue he knocks down a local Goth girl (Zelda) thinks he's killed her, panics and takes her back to his house. Once there, dumped in the bath tub she awakens but John in even more of a panic kills her then decides to bury her in the woods, except the ground is frozen so she isn't buried too deep.

Realising her daughter is missing, a con artist medium (Toby) begins searching for her as Zelda keeps appearing to her in dreams. Toby becomes suspicious of John, who by this time has dismembered the body as Zelda is haunting his waking life too, then things really begin to escalate.

After a while the whole film becomes almost dream like, aided by some wonderfully eerie music and sound effects as well as terrific cinematography. The snowbound rural locations are very much a character in their own right here and really add to the overall ominous hugely atmospheric tone of the film.

In a way a film like this shouldn't really be as good as it is but The Deeper You Dig is downright captivating viewing and truly original horror film making with it.

Glad you liked this one, I think you’ll like Hellbender as much if not more! I can’t wait to see what they come up with next. Did you watch the interview with the three of them on the special features?

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th December 2022 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679570)
Glad you liked this one, I think you’ll like Hellbender as much if not more! I can’t wait to see what they come up with next. Did you watch the interview with the three of them on the special features?

I did. The interview was really good. Far better than most film maker interviews.

I also watched The Hatred earlier this evening, but fell asleep due to it's hypnotic nature.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th December 2022 04:07 PM

Decemberdike # 8

1 Attachment(s)
The Invisible Man (2020)

I thought this was supposed to be good and above all scary. It's just an empty vessel of the #MeToo era. Meanwhile the scariest thing about it was the praise it garnered at the time of release.

It's watchable enough with one or two nice little touches but nothing we haven't seen before in other 'invisible' films, but i couldn't ever get behind the put upon heroine. Doesn't help that i don't like Elisabeth Moss much. Didn't like her in The West Wing and didn't rate her in this.

The Invisible Man is as hollow as they come which is quite apt seeing as this isn't a patch on Hollow Man. The last cinematic outing for The Invisible Man.

Justin101 9th December 2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679585)
The Invisible Man (2020)

I thought this was supposed to be good and above all scary. It's just an empty vessel of the #MeToo era. Meanwhile the scariest thing about it was the praise it garnered at the time of release.

It's watchable enough with one or two nice little touches but nothing we haven't seen before in other 'invisible' films, but i couldn't ever get behind the put upon heroine. Doesn't help that i don't like Elisabeth Moss much. Didn't like her in The West Wing and didn't rate her in this.

The Invisible Man is as hollow as they come which is quite apt seeing as this isn't a patch on Hollow Man. The last cinematic outing for The Invisible Man.

I think I agree with you on this because there is only one part I remember out of this whole (long) film, and that's the bit where she's in the restaurant with her sister.

:hungry:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th December 2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

The Invisible Man (2020)

I thought it was excellent, a very smart and suspenseful film.

Although I haven't seen all of The West Wing, I thought Elisabeth Moss was good in that and has been brilliant in The Handmaid's Tale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th December 2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679590)
I thought it was excellent, a very smart and suspenseful film.

Although I haven't seen all of The West Wing, I thought Elisabeth Moss was good in that and has been brilliant in The Handmaid's Tale.

I proper laughed when she was being attacked in her cell. I thought she was doing an impression of a child having a tantrum rolling round on it's back.

Demoncrat 9th December 2022 11:07 PM

Miss Leslie's Dolls (1973, Joseph G. Prieto)

... and where's this one been all my life already.
Double bill with Toys Are Not For Children for a fun night in.

A group of city slickers come unstuck out in the weeds and ting. Foisting themselves upon an obvious recluse, who rather falteringly offers them sustenance. She then comments obliquely about one of the groups resemblance to someone in her past ....

This one right here goes into the top 5 of regional horror for ... reasons :rolleyes::rolleyes::nod::nod::lol:

I came expecting something akin to Don't Go In The Basement in tone, but left feeling more like the first time that I watched Calvaire
Make of that what you will. Highly Recommended to the appropriate people.

Demoncrat 9th December 2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

The Invisible Man (2020)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: