Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 24th July 2013 05:31 PM

Am I the only one who wants to see a Breaking Bad style spin-off for Ron Perlmans character?:pound:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 05:40 PM

A few days late, but this is last weeks viewing:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...ps717a82f0.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 354149)
Am I the only one who wants to see a Breaking Bad style spin-off for Ron Perlmans character?:pound:

I've never seen Breaking Bad, but really want to. I know that it's on Netflix, so think I'll start an account and begin watching from the first episode.

nosferatu42 24th July 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 354152)

Looks like someone's spent some worthwhile time with Miss Steele lately, what a woman!!:clap:
The World's End has totally screwed my mind this week, been listening to Summers magic quite a bit, the magic roundabout song that starts the film off and i think my brain is starting to melt a little bit. (don't think the weathers helping much either).:)

bdc 24th July 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

While watching 5 Tombe per un Medium,where you also reminded of The Evil Dead Nos? ;)

Btw which version of Der Nackte und der Satan did you watch?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 354168)
While watching 5 Tombe per un Medium,where you also reminded of The Evil Dead Nos? ;)

Yeah, a little – it has the same look and vibe.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 354168)
Btw which version of Der Nackte und der Satan did you watch?

It was the version in the Mill Creek Entertainment Beyond the Grave set, called The Head.

trebor8273 24th July 2013 08:53 PM

Stagefright

For something I bought on impulse and had never heard of was very surprised, a cracking little slasher with a interesting killer ,story and some good set peices. The killer really creeped me out with that owl mask. 9/10

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

I love Long Hair of Death. Much better than Black Sunday (which it shares some themes with), imo.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th July 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 354215)
Stagefright

For something I bought on impulse and had never heard of was very surprised, a cracking little slasher with a interesting killer ,story and some good set peices. The killer really creeped me out with that owl mask. 9/10

I love Stagefright (it's actually my favourite '80s slasher film).

Glad you enjoyed it.

Metallicbomb 25th July 2013 02:05 AM

Watched over the last week
The Abyss - Fantastic & very underated.
Jason X - Very enjoyable.
Lifeboat - classic brilliant hitchcock film.
Rio Bravo - Another absolute classic.
Hitchcock - Realy enjoyed it.
Big Trouble In Little China - Cult Classic
A Fistful Of Dollars - one of the best films ive ever seen and people underrate it.
Deep Blue Sea - Cheesy shark fun.

J Harker 25th July 2013 09:27 AM

Fistful is ok but the sequels (if you can call them that) are way better. The Good The Bad and the Ugly is in a different league.
The Abyss is a great film and one long overdue a good blu release. I've still got the original 2 disc dvd with the annoying ultra narrow letterbox ratio.

trebor8273 25th July 2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354246)
Fistful is ok but the sequels (if you can call them that) are way better. The Good The Bad and the Ugly is in a different league.
The Abyss is a great film and one long overdue a good blu release. I've still got the original 2 disc dvd with the annoying ultra narrow letterbox ratio.

Totally agree abyss is crying out for a blu ray release if any film deserves to be seen in HD this is one of them

Make Them Die Slowly 25th July 2013 12:07 PM

RED DAWN, the remake. You'll be backing the Korens all the way. Bloody dire remake of one of my favourite films.

A FIELD IN ENGLAND. Jesus, this is good. A funny, clever dose of occult bollocks with a real conviction for its subject matter. I loved it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 01:56 PM

I saw Pacific Rim at the cinema earlier on and thought it was very good. When it began, it didn't really feel like a Guillermo Del Toro movie but, the more it went on, the more of his touches I saw and the more I grew to like the film.

Sure, some of it's predictable and a little clichéd, but I loved the two scientists, the creature and robot design, with the little details on the Jaegers making them more than just hulking robots.

keirarts 25th July 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 354215)
Stagefright

Have you seen THE CHURCH yet? if not its worth seeking out as its from the same director as stagefright. Cemetary man (aka Dellamorte dellamore and the sect are worth a look too!)

sjconstable 25th July 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354246)

Eh? The film's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and that's how it's presented on the DVDs.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 354287)
Eh? The film's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and that's how it's presented on the DVDs.

Just waiting for it to be opened up to 1.78:1 for the blu-ray, since it was filmed in Super 35. Not as cazy as it sounds. Cameron did it with the 3D version of Titanic.

sjconstable 25th July 2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 354309)
Just waiting for it to be opened up to 1.78:1 for the blu-ray, since it was filmed in Super 35. Not as cazy as it sounds. Cameron did it with the 3D version of Titanic.

I don't agree with doing that, the intended ratio was 2.35:1 (which isn't 'super-narrow' at all). He only does it because he reckons it makes the 3D more immersive anyway, and I don't watch stuff in 3D. He also (quite rightly) regrets doing Aliens in 1.85:1 as well.

trebor8273 25th July 2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 354281)
Have you seen THE CHURCH yet? if not its worth seeking out as its from the same director as stagefright. Cemetary man (aka Dellamorte dellamore and the sect are worth a look too!)

I was looking at getting the church as its the same director will pick it up

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 354311)
I don't agree with doing that, the intended ratio was 2.35:1 (which isn't 'super-narrow' at all). He only does it because he reckons it makes the 3D more immersive anyway, and I don't watch stuff in 3D. He also (quite rightly) regrets doing Aliens in 1.85:1 as well.

I don't agree with it either. Same thing happened with the dvd/BD of Once Upon A Time In Mexico and the German BD of Dolph Lungren's Icarus. I don't have a big problem with it if it's opened up to reveal more picture, but I'd rather they keep it the way it was intended.

trebor8273 25th July 2013 06:55 PM

Starting my trancers marathon, might watch mountain of the cannibal god later(another impulse buy I've never seen).
Edit

Picture quality of trancers looks like it was transferred from VHS

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 354326)
Starting my trancers marathon, might watch mountain of the cannibal god later(another impulse buy I've never seen).
Edit

Picture quality of trancers looks like it was transferred from VHS

It was trancered (see what I did there?) from laserdisc. It (and presumably the other 4) will be getting a remastered blu-ray releases sometime.

trebor8273 25th July 2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 354331)
It was trancered (see what I did there?) from laserdisc. It (and presumably the other 4) will be getting a remastered blu-ray releases sometime.

When they do they will be day one purchases.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 354334)
When they do they will be day one purchases.

Same here. I love the Trancers films, all except Trancers 6.

JoshuaKaitlyn 25th July 2013 07:43 PM

House at the End of the Street (2012) Predictible :yawn:

From 1939:
Hound of the Baskervilles Saw this first time late last year but it didn't seem to stand up to a second showing! :mmph:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Enjoyed this better than the first! :-)
Tarzan Finds a Son Better than the last outing! :-)
Another Thin Man The third outing in the franchise isnt as good as the previous two! :couch:
Gone With the Wind Saw this over two nights as it was a little overlong but still a great movie (I still laugh at Leighs fall down the stairs :laugh: :embarassed:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post354351

J Harker 25th July 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 354287)

It's non-amorphic. Don't really understand what that means but it's bloody narrow on my tv fella.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354363)
It's non-amorphic. Don't really understand what that means but it's bloody narrow on my tv fella.

Very basically, an anamorphic picture is one which has been designed to fit in a 16:9 frame. If something is in non-anamorphic, it hasn't, and is 'square', so you have letterboxing and window boxing of anything which isn't 1.33:1.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354363)

Ok, first thing to establish is, your TV, is it a widescreen tv? or 4:3 (almost square)?

J Harker 25th July 2013 10:36 PM

Widescreen. Had at least four tv's in the time I've had said dvd. Thought this was a known issue with The Abyss dvd??

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th July 2013 10:37 PM

Get a multi region player blu now and chuck all other Blu versions of THE FOG and get the Scream Factory disc NOW!

It's ****ing incredible!:cool:

sjconstable 25th July 2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354383)
Widescreen. Had at least four tv's in the time I've had said dvd. Thought this was a known issue with The Abyss dvd??

When they're non-anamorphic you have to change the aspect ratio on your TV to display them properly, is the film just appearing in the centre of the screen do you mean? Once you display them properly, the only difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic is resolution.

troggi 25th July 2013 11:19 PM

http://images.moviepostershop.com/sy...1010315806.jpg

"Lady Vengeance"
I'm a relative newcomer to Korean cinema having only seen a handful of films so "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was a new experience for me and I liked it! I refuse to say that I understood all of the film but I laid back and let the experience wash over me until the brutal "vengeance" whereupon I sat bolt upright having not "seen it coming"!

What a great film, I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the "trilogy" in my forays and I think that "Oldboy" will be on the agenda tomorrow (CEX usually have a couple of copies, if not HMV is only 5 minutes walk from there)! I was going to give this film only 15/10 but that "vengeance" scene really got under my skin and any film that leaves such a positive lasting impression on me deserves an outstanding 20/10! :popcorn::eek:

SCM 26th July 2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 354395)
http://images.moviepostershop.com/sy...1010315806.jpg

"Lady Vengeance"
I'm a relative newcomer to Korean cinema having only seen a handful of films so "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was a new experience for me and I liked it! I refuse to say that I understood all of the film but I laid back and let the experience wash over me until the brutal "vengeance" whereupon I sat bolt upright having not "seen it coming"!

What a great film, I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the "trilogy" in my forays and I think that "Oldboy" will be on the agenda tomorrow (CEX usually have a couple of copies, if not HMV is only 5 minutes walk from there)! I was going to give this film only 15/10 but that "vengeance" scene really got under my skin and any film that leaves such a positive lasting impression on me deserves an outstanding 20/10! :popcorn::eek:

Oldboy is definitely worth watching, you should also watch Sympathy for Mr Vengeance as well

klownz 26th July 2013 09:17 AM

I gave Embodiment of Evil a re-watch last night... can't beat a bit of Coffin Joe:cool:

J Harker 26th July 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 354389)
When they're non-anamorphic you have to change the aspect ratio on your TV to display them properly, is the film just appearing in the centre of the screen do you mean? Once you display them properly, the only difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic is resolution.

It appears in widescreen. With black bars across the top and bottom as 2:35:1 generally appears but the bars are thicker so the actual picture is a thinner strip than usual.

J Harker 26th July 2013 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So the back of the dvd says this Attachment 115302
And this is what appears on screen Attachment 115303

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th July 2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354455)

Try expanding your screen aspect ratio. It should look fine.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th July 2013 11:19 AM

THE CARETAKER. Fairly good spin on the battle of the sexes, relationship breakdown and the end of the world via hordes of vampires. It could have done with some script editing and better character development but overall it is a good try at being different in a genre that is bloated and in need of killing.

sjconstable 26th July 2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 354455)

Your TV is expanding the picture horizontally but not vertically, you'll be able to do it either with the aspect ratio function on the TV, or with a setting on your player (Full, Normal, Letterbox, Upscale mode, stuff like that). But yeah, that disc can definitely be displayed properly anyway whilst you wait for the Blu-ray :coolblue:

J Harker 26th July 2013 03:53 PM

So if I follow what I'm seeing is actually a 4.3 image stretched lengthways?
I'll have a fiddle when I get in from work. Thanks for that.