Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2022, 02:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 23

The Unholy (2021)

When a young girl who cannot speak is visited by the Virgin Mary she can suddenly speak, hear and heal the sick. As crowds race to the small New England town to witness miracles for themselves so does disgraced journalist Jeffrey Dean Morgan whose investigations begin to uncover something a lot darker than perceived miracles from the Virgin Mary.

I really enjoyed this. Based on a book by the great James Herbert, it's a nice slow burner of a film with excellent turns from Morgan, Cricket Brown as the miracle working girl and Carey Elwes as the local Bishop in a story that really held my interest throughout.

I'm not in the least bit religious yet i often seem to really enjoy horror films steeped in the subject, be it The Exorcist, Stigmata, Saint Maud, The Prophecy or the 80's minor classic with the same name - The Unholy, so went into this with a bit of hope.

Although not chock full of scares or shocks i loved the small town atmosphere and creeping undercurrent of dread that slowly envelops the film. The finale was nicely done with just the right amount of CGI for me but i can see some may have found it underwhelming. A bit like the movie as a whole. I'm sure most won't find it anything that exceptional but i really enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (56.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th December 2022, 05:02 PM
Thompson

I finally seen most of Black Sunday. Although I was tired and dozed off at some parts.

Very atmospheric. Barbara Steele did a fine job as the witch.
Old 25th December 2022, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Switch Killer

An abused Stripper leaves her Boyfriend and gets a job in Las Vegas, however someone is murdering people close to her. Released by Screen Entertainment (Under the Hardgore banner) this is actually competent (Not some shabbily shot with dodgy acting and F/X) and whilst it's not the greatest Film in the world, it does pass on the time.

The alternate title of the Film and the name of the Production company does give away the twist however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sk.jpg (10.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th December 2022, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Unholy (2021)

When a young girl who cannot speak is visited by the Virgin Mary she can suddenly speak, hear and heal the sick. As crowds race to the small New England town to witness miracles for themselves so does disgraced journalist Jeffrey Dean Morgan whose investigations begin to uncover something a lot darker than perceived miracles from the Virgin Mary.

I really enjoyed this. Based on a book by the great James Herbert, it's a nice slow burner of a film with excellent turns from Morgan, Cricket Brown as the miracle working girl and Carey Elwes as the local Bishop in a story that really held my interest throughout.

I'm not in the least bit religious yet i often seem to really enjoy horror films steeped in the subject, be it The Exorcist, Stigmata, Saint Maud, The Prophecy or the 80's minor classic with the same name - The Unholy, so went into this with a bit of hope.

Although not chock full of scares or shocks i loved the small town atmosphere and creeping undercurrent of dread that slowly envelops the film. The finale was nicely done with just the right amount of CGI for me but i can see some may have found it underwhelming. A bit like the movie as a whole. I'm sure most won't find it anything that exceptional but i really enjoyed it.
Nice review Dem. I've been meaning to pick this up.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 25th December 2022, 11:34 PM
Cult Addict

I liked Shrine when i read it as a teensger, but i was put off by some negative reviews of the film, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and i will watch it when i get the opportunity.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Nice review Dem. I've been meaning to pick this up.
Cheers. I really enjoyed it. Should you pick it up at some point i hope you do too.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I liked Shrine when i read it as a teensger, but i was put off by some negative reviews of the film, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and i will watch it when i get the opportunity.
I reckon it got negative reviews because it's not fully in your face with cheap jump scares nor an ending that so OTT it's ridiculous.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Cheers. I really enjoyed it. Should you pick it up at some point i hope you do too.
I came very close the other day, twas only a couple of quid in HMV. Not sure what put me off. Think it's the ridiculous to-watch pile and lack of time.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I came very close the other day, twas only a couple of quid in HMV. Not sure what put me off. Think it's the ridiculous to-watch pile and lack of time.
That's one good thing that it's under 100 mins so you don't need all night to watch it unlike so many movies released in cinemas these days.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 26th December 2022, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I reckon it got negative reviews because it's not fully in your face with cheap jump scares nor an ending that so OTT it's ridiculous.
Well that makes it sound ever betterer.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!