All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2022, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Kirk and his crew are given a mission from Starfleet HQ to rescue three diplomats (An Earthling, a Romulan and a Klingon) kidnapped by Sybok, Spock's half brother previously never mentioned in the Star Trek universe, who in turn takes over the Enterprise in a bid to reach the Great Barrier and find 'God'.

The least of the six original Star Trek films which for quite a while is extremely enjoyable thanks to the camaraderie between Kirk, McCoy and Spock, so much so that the opening half hour flies by even if not an awful lot has happened other than a camping trip in Yosemite National Park.

It's when we get to the meat of the story that it becomes less interesting. Other than a few good scenes with a Klingon Bird of Prey which tracks the Enterprise to the Great Barrier there's no real enemy to speak of. Sybok isn't any great threat as he simply influences the crew to do his bidding (He'd be great on TikTok). Things improve slightly when we reach the Barrier and find 'God' but (Spoiler alert) it's not really God just some alien dude who wants to take the Enterprise for himself and escape the Great Barrier.

It's a film directed by William Shatner, that tries to be thought provoking but it fails completely to engage with the Klingons sadly wasted. Thankfully superior Klingon action would come in follow up film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) a far superior effort on every level. Having said that it's still easily watchable and the things it gets right it does well.

As with the other newly restored 4K Star Trek films featuring the original crew this looks fantastic with a nice 5:1 surround track to match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gACHIQ1x5dxiqjkOCje4edqPYLI.jpg (90.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 29th December 2022, 12:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sliver. 1993.

Sharon Stone moved on from her psycho killer Catherine Tremell role to a shy innocent Carly who has moved to a luxurious apartment building with friendly William Baldwin as the building owner who owns a CCTV system that most people can only dream viewing. Tom Berenger stars as the guy who appears as the over friendly who likes to be everywhere and stalks the pretty ones. This seemed to be hated by a lot when it first came out and although I haven't viewed this film a lot it does have its plot twists and plot holes, it is enjoyable.

images (1).jpeg
Old 29th December 2022, 12:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I like Sliver. I'd definitely buy it if it came out on UK Blu. Just as i am Body of Evidence.
Old 29th December 2022, 12:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Sliver. I'd definitely buy it if it came out on UK Blu. Just as i am Body of Evidence.
Body of Evidence I watched once or twice, and can't remember much about it except the candle wax
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 29th December 2022, 10:10 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Oliver. 1968.

A high-spirited, lively version of the well-known story, the film manages to fit in songs and dances without subtracting from the deeper issues in Dickens' novel. The times are depicted vividly well, with excellent sets and costumes, and the film works as both surface entertainment for the young generation...and us old foogies.

The acting is brilliant from Sir Harry Secombe as the workhouse master, Mark Lester as the young orphan who goes to seek his fortune in London, Jack Wild as the memorable character The Artful Dodger. Ron Moody plays the leader of the young boys Fagin and Oliver Reed as Bill Sikes. As this does have a good musical score from start to finish and some laughs, it does have the darker tone of Shani Wallis and Ollie Reed's death.

Attachment 244079

Poor Nancy!

Love this film, it used to be the family Christmas movie in our house growing up.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th December 2022, 05:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) ★★★★★

Bleak, uncomfortable, and grotesquely funny, this jet black comedy-drama is one of the best acted and beautifully filmed movies I've seen this year.

It's not a laugh-out-loud black comedy like In Bruges, Martin McDonagh's previous collaboration with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, but a metaphorical tragicomedy with echoes of the Irish Civil War and midlife crises.

I don't think this will be for everyone as it will certainly test the patience of some viewers, but I thought it was a compelling and weirdly amusing film I'll be sure to buy when it's released for home viewing later this year. I hope there is a very good 4K Ultra HD release to do the outstanding cinematography and period design justice.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 29th December 2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 29th December 2022, 05:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Strange World (2022) ★★½

This should be applauded for its visuals, willingness to tackle important issues, and on-screen representation, becoming the first Disney film with an openly LGBT+ main character.

However, even by Avatar's standards, the story was clumsy and derivative, with an environmental message that should have been subtle but felt heavy-handed.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 29th December 2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 29th December 2022, 05:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022) ★★

I hoped this would be an improvement on The Crimes of Grindelwald, a convoluted mess that failed to live up to the genuine excitement and innovative world-building of the first endless franchise.

My hopes were dashed by the halfway point because I found it to be equally unfocused, overcomplicated, and superficial.

There are positives: Mads Mikkelsen is a good Grindelwald, probably more nuanced and believable than the Johnny Depp-portrayed one in its predecessor, and, again, Jude Law is solid as Albus Dumbledore.

The relationship between the two master magicians and former lovers relegates Eddie Redmayne's Newt Scamander to supporting cast territory, which is a shame because he's involved in the film's only genuine highlight: a subterranean dance-off with an enormous crustacean.

If they decide to make another one to bridge the gap between this series and the Harry Potter one, I'll probably watch it, but I won't be rushing out to see it in the cinema on opening day.

Old 29th December 2022, 05:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

King Richard (2021) ★★★½

Considering this is based on real people and real events, this is a surprisingly gripping portrayal of Venus and Serena Williams' rise to fame and how their father's guidance and (occasionally) unorthodox training methods helped to create two of the greatest tennis players of all time.

Firestarter (2022) ★★

I haven't seen the 1984 adaptation of Stephen King's novel of the same name, but it must be better than this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 29th December 2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 29th December 2022, 05:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Many Saints of Newark (2021) ★★★★

As it's one of my favourite TV shows, a masterpiece of storytelling which included everything that needed to be said, I've never wanted a film prequel of The Sopranos but, now there is one, I wanted to see it.

Thankfully, though restricted by the relatively short format that a feature film (rather than a multiple season TV series) has, it never disappoints. I loved the framing device of Christopher Moltisante's (Michael Imperioli) off-screen narration talking about his cousin Tony, a character superbly essayed by the late, great James Gandolfi's real-life son, Michael.

Corey Stoll equally oppresses as the younger Corrado 'Junior' Soprano, and the moment when he falls and yells out the brilliant profanity "your sister's c**t" was eerily reminiscent of Dominic Chianese's delivery of the same line when Junior slips and falls in the shower.

Not only is this very well cast, the story is as good as I expected from a screenplay by David Chase and Lawrence Konner, as it effortlessly weaves a coherent narrative and enhances the links between the members of the DiMeo crime family.

I don't think it's as good as peak Sopranos, an episode like College, but few films or TV episodes are. David Chase set an almost impossible benchmark with that series and this is good enough to satisfy a fan like me and stand as a very good gangster movie in its own right.

I'll definitely add this to my 4K collection in the near future.

Like this? Share it using the links below!