Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nosferatu42 31st July 2013 11:43 PM

I guess my mum was pretty cool, she used to sit through all my rentals with me. I didn't mind as she wouldn't say much either way. Just let me get on with it.:)
I think she used to enjoy them as well. (most of the time):lol:

nosferatu42 1st August 2013 02:35 AM

Just started a thread in the Horror lucky dip section called ' Beginning of your Horror obsession?' would be interested to see your responses.:)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 355663)
Watched POSSESSION. As good as it ever was. Stuck a mini-review on amazon. Is it me or did some of the darker scenes look a little 'fuzzy'?

I thought it looked (and sounded) superb with a stellar HD remastering. I watched it again with the director's commentary immediately afterwards and will listen to the other commentary at some point today.

It looks like it will be one of the best releases of the year.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 355708)
I thought it looked (and sounded) superb with a stellar HD remastering. I watched it again with the director's commentary immediately afterwards and will listen to the other commentary at some point today.

Both Possession and The Wicker Man have 'release of the year' written all over them. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 355710)
Both Possession and The Wicker Man have 'release of the year' written all over them. :nod:

That's the way things should be!

keirarts 1st August 2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 355708)

Don't get me wrong, its a great disc and i've given it a 4/5 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Possession-B..._aya_orig_subj

but perhaps its the source material. There is definately noticeable 'fuzziness' in some of the darker scenes. Theres plenty of detail so its nothing to do with DNR. Just wondered if its an error in the labs or just the film elements?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 355712)
Don't get me wrong, its a great disc and i've given it a 4/5 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Possession-B..._aya_orig_subj

but perhaps its the source material. There is definately noticeable 'fuzziness' in some of the darker scenes. Theres plenty of detail so its nothing to do with DNR. Just wondered if its an error in the labs or just the film elements?

Excellent review on Amazon, so voted 'Yes'.

I didn't notice any 'fuzziness', but will make a conscious effort to look for any signs of it when I watch the film again later today and report back.

keirarts 1st August 2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 355713)
Excellent review on Amazon, so voted 'Yes'.

I didn't notice any 'fuzziness', but will make a conscious effort to look for any signs of it when I watch the film again later today and report back.

watched it on my PS3 through a cheap-ish asda bought samsung if that might make any difference....

I'd be interested to know what film stock it was shot on. All I really know wide angled lens was used!

Again, i'm not an expert, and given Second Sights stellar track record with transfers I doubt very much whether it was a mistake on their part... more curious than anything because knowing some of the people reviewing on amazon its a fair assumption we may be seeing plenty of hyperbole.

SCM 1st August 2013 10:03 AM

Watched Rosemary's Killer last night, started off a little bit dull but eventually developed. Brilliant effects by Savini.

troggi 1st August 2013 10:36 AM

"The Fearless Hyena"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ys4jr6vl0K...yena-front.jpg

An early "formulaic" Jackie Chan film but no less enjoyable for that!
Not up to the standard of "Drunken Master" or "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" but still a 12/10 for some classic Chan over-acting!

nosferatu42 1st August 2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 355701)
Just started a thread in the Horror lucky dip section called ' Beginning of your Horror obsession?' would be interested to see your responses.:)

Looks like this thread has been merged with one called 'How Did the Obsession Begin for You?'. Didn't realise something similar already existed. :doh:
Just went through all the old reply's. Looks like BBC double bills have a lot to answer for, they need to do this sort of thing again and educate the kid's of today as to what well crafted,well acted horror with interesting stories really is.

Rik 1st August 2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 355767)
Looks like this thread has been merged with one called 'How Did the Obsession Begin for You?'. Didn't realise something similar already existed. :doh:
Just went through all the old reply's. Looks like BBC double bills have a lot to answer for, they need to do this sort of thing again and educate the kid's of today as to what well crafted,well acted horror with interesting stories really is.

It was this guy that introduced me to some of my favourite films, namely the Hammer/Amicus productions. I'd love them to do something like this again

Dr Terror compilation - YouTube

troggi 1st August 2013 01:25 PM

"Immortals" Henry Cavill as an earlier Super hero in the form of Theseus. I'm a sucker for Ancient Greek Myths and Legends so I was bound to enjoy this 13/10 for a decent spin on the Minotaur legend!

SShaw 1st August 2013 02:02 PM

Last night I saw:

Ip Man: Final Fight Yet another retelling of the Ip Man Legend (was preceded by a funny short about how Bruce Lee got his name).

Ritual Despite its pretentious sub-title (A psychosomagic love story) this Italian horror was very disturbing.

napalm-in-the-morning 1st August 2013 03:07 PM

Men Behind The Sun. A real endurance test. Not enjoyable and not quickly forgotten. Effective but grim beyond the realm of horror entertainment. A watch once and try to forget viewing.

Rik 1st August 2013 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had an Afternoon of the Living Dead today, watching the original NOTLD on Blu Ray followed by the remake on DVD

http://images.blu-ray.com/movies/covers/1687_medium.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Ai919Is7u7dzSw

Gotta feel sorry for this poor sod who worked as an electrician on the remake :lol:

Attachment 116136

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crocodile (2000)

I've been rewatching an old Hollywood dvd box set of ten monster films. Tobe Hooper's Crocodile is surprisingly part of this set.

Generally rather disliked, i find Crocodile to be one of Hooper's better films with only The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Lifeforce, Salem's Lot and probably Poltergeist being of better quality.

For a film on the Hollywood Dvd label Crocodile has a stunning, vibrant, picture quality, which unfortunately shows up one or two ropy crocodile effects. However i can put this to one side as the film is a lot of fun. The story is all too familiar - teens rent a luxury river cruise boat, get stoned, pissed, laid, (delete as applicable) then get eaten by a giant crocodile. Hooper's film has no pretensions of grandeur, it is what it is, a fun killer croc movie with a cliched but likable cast.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 355826)
Had an Afternoon of the Living Dead today, watching the original NOTLD on Blu Ray followed by the remake on DVD

http://images.blu-ray.com/movies/covers/1687_medium.jpghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Ai919Is7u7dzSw

Gotta feel sorry for this poor sod who worked as an electrician on the remake :lol:

Attachment 116136

His name sums up the remake perfectly. :nod:

Rik 1st August 2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 355828)
His name sums up the remake perfectly. :nod:

I'm gonna let you have that one seeing as you can now ban me for giving you abuse :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 355829)
I'm gonna let you have that one seeing as you can now ban me for giving you abuse :lol:

Nah!! Carry on. There's no fun otherwise. :nod:

Nordicdusk 1st August 2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 355826)

Attachment 116136

Whats the Blu Ray like Rik

Rik 1st August 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 355836)
Whats the Blu Ray like Rik

It's the better of the two versions available, I was advised to steer clear of the one with the green cover. Nothing much in the way of extras, besides a Romero documentary, but the picture and sound quality is really good.
Now if only someone would release the "wank" remake over here on Blu :nod:

Nordicdusk 1st August 2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 355837)
It's the better of the two versions available, I was advised to steer clear of the one with the green cover. Nothing much in the way of extras, besides a Romero documentary, but the picture and sound quality is really good.
Now if only someone would release the "wank" remake over here on Blu :nod:

You said Wank :lol:

Sorry im an immature child at heart.

Cheers for that Rik i was not sure which to pick up its the only one of the Dead films i have not gotten around to picking up on Blu Ray yet.

keirarts 1st August 2013 06:00 PM

There was some bloke with the surname 'wanker' that worked on the TV Buffy the vampire slayer. Probably what he was up to on his coffee break watching Sarah michelle gellar practicing her martial arts. :lol:

Rik 1st August 2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 355864)
There was some bloke with the surname 'wanker' that worked on the TV Buffy the vampire slayer. Probably what he was up to on his coffee break watching Sarah michelle gellar practicing her martial arts. :lol:

I think I noticed the Paul Wank thing the first time I watched NOTLD90 when it was first released, needless to say it made the 12 year old version of me chuckle

Wes 1st August 2013 06:52 PM

You go years without seeing a Nicholas Cage film and then two come along. Season of the Witch on Film4 last week and not bad. The whole thing falls asunder in the final act, but the central premise of a knight transporting a suspected witch across Medieval Europe could have been truly fascinating in the hands of a good film maker...

The Frozen Ground... the chance to go see an 18 at the cinema was too rare an event to miss out on. John Cusack hitches his wagon to the serial killer film, a la Robin Williams in One Hour Photo, and Cage is the cop tracking him down. Not a bad effort overall, suffers from big studio anonymity, but a passable but comfortable 90mins or so and no pesky teenagers ringing their friends to say "I'm at the pictures. Where are you ?"...

Rik 1st August 2013 10:05 PM

Just finished watching RED for the first time on FILM4. Our drummer is always banging on about how good it is and that I should check it out, so I thought I'd give it a go tonight. Needless to say, he was right (first time for a drummer), I thought it was brilliant, just the right mix of comedy and action with John Malkovich creating the most laughs from me. Looking forward to checking out the sequel in the next week or 2 and I'm definitely gonna buy this on BD

Nordicdusk 1st August 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 355916)
Just finished watching RED for the first time on FILM4. Our drummer is always banging on about how good it is and that I should check it out, so I thought I'd give it a go tonight. Needless to say, he was right (first time for a drummer), I thought it was brilliant, just the right mix of comedy and action with John Malkovich creating the most laughs from me. Looking forward to checking out the sequel in the next week or 2 and I'm definitely gonna buy this on BD

I watch Red one Sunday morning with my mother and i was dying with a hang over. We both loved it great film and it helped ease my pain too so two tumbs up :lol:

troggi 2nd August 2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 355935)
I watch Red one Sunday morning with my mother and i was dying with a hang over. We both loved it great film and it helped ease my pain too so two tumbs up :lol:

Two thumbs up what? Sounds messy! ;)

darthelvis 2nd August 2013 08:02 AM

Wolverine - An improvement from the first X-MEN: Origins Wolverine film but still not a fantastic flick. Nice to have the action set in Japan and a teaser in the credits for Days of Future Past due out next year but I can't help but feel if they upped the certificate we would get the Wolverine film the fans all want!

3/5

J Harker 2nd August 2013 08:27 AM

I actually preferred the first Wolverine film. Not that this one was bad, but I found it awful long winded with a slow saggy stretch in the middle.

Frankie Teardrop 2nd August 2013 10:27 AM

NIGHT OF THE DEMON - One I hadn't seen for a while. Wooden acting and dick ripping were the associations that sprung to mind before I slipped it in... both aspects are well covered, but I'd forgotten the oppressive, murky quality this film has once the ketchup has flown, particularly after the mute girl and her painful back story are brought in. And the slo-mo climax is somehow powerful and claustrophobic... despite falling victim to the usual pitfalls affecting low budget genre product of its era, it remains weirdly disturbing.

ZODIAC - Excellent on every level, this is really absorbing and immersive stuff and just an exemplar of really supple filmmaking. What starts out in horror / thriller territory ends as an exploration of personal obsession, desperation and failure. The film never jettisons its grimy, depressing tone and the fact that it fully commands the attention for the entirety of its 2 1/2 hour span is a real testament to Fincher, whose films I'm not always that big on but yeah, here he really nails it. Really very haunting.

A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE - Whilst it didn't quite grab me the way I thought it might, this is a really interesting take on the serial killer trope, a very atmospheric slow burn that teeters on and around a kind woozy, numb psychedelia (not in an overt sense, I just mean it has a strange, spaced out vibe, I guess 'hazy' is the word). The carefully sustained tone is almost blown by the ending, but it remains a satisfying contribution from young hotshot Wingard and a million miles removed from the zany splat-stick of his debut 'Home Sick'. Should be watched.

RED RIDING HOOD - Strange Italian horror that seems to splice surrealism, B movie gestures and almost an indie-arthouse feel. Too bad it doesn't quite work, but it's diverting and occasionally mind boggling in its depiction of a 12 year old moral enforcer / serial killer and her cardboard-faced wolf-monster companion. Should've really gone for it and been totally bollocks out mega-weird, as it frequently makes overtures in this direction but tends to hang back at the last minute. As it stands, it's an enjoyable, adequately odd ride with a bit of gore along the way.

THE ABCS OF DEATH - Not everything about this ambitious effort works, but then who could expect as much? 26 five minute short films are never going to settle their aesthetic differences and guarantee a smooth, consistent glide without moments of jarring tension, but maybe that in itself should be celebrated. Individually, the good far outweighs the bad, and the 'good' in the case includes some moments which made me consider ringing the BBFC to ask "erm... this was actually submitted, wasn't it?". Perhaps I'm getting dead square these days, but a couple of these shorts contained instances which left me thinking "my my". As well as the transgressions of 'Libido' and 'Young Buck', there are several examples of hilarious bizarreness (all the Japanese entries). The directors of 'Amer' offer some tranced out designer softcore S&M (with a load of bubbles?). So, when it peaks with the aforementioned entries, this is pretty hard hitting stuff and yes, it should be watched and remembered.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd August 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 355980)
RED RIDING HOOD - Strange Italian horror that seems to splice surrealism, B movie gestures and almost an indie-arthouse feel. Too bad it doesn't quite work, but it's diverting and occasionally mind boggling in its depiction of a 12 year old moral enforcer / serial killer and her cardboard-faced wolf-monster companion. Should've really gone for it and been totally bollocks out mega-weird, as it frequently makes overtures in this direction but tends to hang back at the last minute. As it stands, it's an enjoyable, adequately odd ride with a bit of gore along the way.

I saw this recently as well. Its in the Mill Creek Bloodbath set along with some fantastic British Fiona Horsey films which are well worth checking out.

Thought it had a great use of Rome locations and the subway parts veered towards American Werewolf levels. A nice suitably bloody, twisty climax as well.

SShaw 2nd August 2013 12:16 PM

My festival continued with:

The Dead Experiment Interesting sci-fi offers a credible take on reanimation.

Metro Manila Powerful drama as a farmer seeks a new life for his family in Manila with devastating consequences - my favourite film of the festival thus far.

Four films tonight including Q&A's with Troma's Lloyd Kaufman and Zoe Bell and the latest instalment of the Chucky franchise.

troggi 2nd August 2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 355980)
NIGHT OF THE DEMON

ZODIAC

A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE

RED RIDING HOOD

THE ABCS OF DEATH

Note to self Keep an eye out for "Red Riding Hood". Thank you very much once again for some great reviews, Mr Teardrop (btw y' might want t' get them there eyes looked at they've been running a lot).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd August 2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 355954)
I actually preferred the first Wolverine film. Not that this one was bad, but I found it awful long winded with a slow saggy stretch in the middle.

I saw The Wolverine at the cinema this morning and I completely agree with your thoughts.

Invid Ninja 2nd August 2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 356006)
I saw The Wolverine at the cinema this morning and I completely agree with your thoughts.

I saw it the other day and while I personally disagree over Origins being a better film, The Wolverine I felt was solid albeit oddly workmanlike when it could have stretched some of it's narrative ideas into perhaps a more ambitious mold although I appreciated it's character-based plot focus. It was sort of my definition of a 6/10 movie.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd August 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 356007)
I saw it the other day and while I personally disagree over Origins being a better film, The Wolverine I felt was solid albeit oddly workmanlike when it could have stretched some of it's narrative ideas into perhaps a more ambitious mold although I appreciated it's character-based plot focus. It was sort of my definition of a 6/10 movie.

I'm not sure about whether The Wolverine is better than Origins, but they're both pretty average films.

trebor8273 2nd August 2013 06:58 PM

Knightriders

Finally got around to watching this, I'll be honest was not expecting to like it, I didn't like it, i loved. it didn't outstay its welcome at 147 mins. Probably one of romeros best, shall be watching again soon 9.5/10

Burn notice

Just got first two season today and just watched the pilot really enjoyed it will probably get the rest. 8/10

J Harker 2nd August 2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 356007)

I simply enjoyed Origins more. I'm not necessarily saying one's the better film.