Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2023 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Contraband Spain (1955)

A Blu-ray from Network that was disappointing all round. Despite a decent cast there was nothing they could do with what was an uninteresting and uneven story of counterfeit US Dollars being brought into Europe via Spain. It plods along but there's barely anything of note happening.

The restoration is really not great. Although it notes this on the sleeve it really doesn't tell you that the colour flits between normal and green tinted almost continuously. It's not a huge difference but once you notice it then it's really fookin' obvious.

So yes, certainly disappointing all round, but even if the picture quality had been immaculate the film would still have been deathly dull.

MrBarlow 6th February 2023 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doctor Sleep. 2019.

Being a fan of The Shining (both book and novel) I was always curious how things would have turned out for Danny and Wendy after leaving The Overlook Hotel and Stephen King delivered it with This focusing on Danny from childhood to adulthood.

I liked Mike Flanagan's work with Oculus and Ouija: Origin Of Evil (the first Ouija movie is questionable IMHO) was always weary how Ewan McGregor would pull off being Danny and does manage to play the lead character decently from being a drunk to a straight headed person still troubled by his time at the hotel. In The Shining the Grady Twins did freak me out, in this Rebecca Ferguson plays the antagonist and a bit creepy with the glowing eyes and her portrayal of the character is even more sinister in the book. Kyliegh Curran plays the part of Abra decently and almost how she is described or imagined while reading the book.

The 1980 film is memorable for a good few things, Jack going "Here's Johnny", the blood coming for the lifts, the Grady twins popping up from round a corner, the hedge maze chase and the opening. Mike Flanagan manages to re-capture that shot with The Dies Irae Connection in a darker tone and the outside shot of the hotel that gives off the dark Gothic atmosphere, that we know what went on and why would you return there yet we still want to see the hotel. I feel bad I waited so long to watch this.

Attachment 244618

trebor8273 6th February 2023 07:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aoGFs05NfY

While not one of Murphy's best it's still a bit of enjoyable 80s nonsense , which Murphy plays Chandler who looks for missing children , he is approached to find the golden child a mystic child that will bring peace to the world but has been kidnapped . It's is similar to the superior big trouble in little china which came out the same year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRNEwFOttw

The manliest man in the universe is back as the man with no name. This time he teams up with a fellow bounty hunter ( Lee Van Cleef) to take down a dangerous and deranged bank robber, did anyone else think the saloon owner was Benny Hill? A classic , great acting , soundtrack and direction .

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqft2x_Aa4

Justin101 6th February 2023 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681616)
Contraband Spain (1955)

A Blu-ray from Network that was disappointing all round. Despite a decent cast there was nothing they could do with what was an uninteresting and uneven story of counterfeit US Dollars being brought into Europe via Spain. It plods along but there's barely anything of note happening.

The restoration is really not great. Although it notes this on the sleeve it really doesn't tell you that the colour flits between normal and green tinted almost continuously. It's not a huge difference but once you notice it then it's really fookin' obvious.

So yes, certainly disappointing all round, but even if the picture quality had been immaculate the film would still have been deathly dull.

That's a shame, this was one on my list for next time there is a British Films sale on Network! Oh well!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 681620)
That's a shame, this was one on my list for next time there is a British Films sale on Network! Oh well!

As with all films we've never seen it's a gamble.

I wonder if watching it directly after the explosive finale to Pennyworth season two impacted on my viewing pleasure.

Even without the image issues I don't think this would be staying long in my collection, especially as Cex give you more credit than i paid for it new.

J Harker 6th February 2023 09:29 PM

Wakanda Forever. Ryan Coogler. 2022.

Well given I wasn't all that taken with Black Panthers standalone outing I rather enjoyed Marvels latest endeavour.
The nation of Wakanda mourns the loss of King T'Chala following his passing due to some undisclosed illness taking place in the opening moments of the film. Seeing an opportunity various world powers concede to close in on Wakandas resources, primarily vibranium. Simulateously America also searches for vibranium elsewhere on the planet, causing another previously hidden nation to make itself known. The underwater kingdom of Talokan, ruled by a noble but bitterly vengeful half human mutant, King Namor.
Wakanda Forever is a bit more restrained than some of the more OTT marvel entries, but I can't pretend disbelief won't require some serious suspension. That said anyone watching one of these things surely has an idea what to expect so shouldn't come away too disappointed.
Previously a supporting player, Letitia Wright as Black Panthers sister Shuri excels here, stepping up to a leading role. There are some decent action sequences and I suppose I found there to be a little more fun going on that the previous entry.
The tragic loss of Chadwick Boseman is obviously impossible to ignore and nor should it be. The film acknowledges the loss of the actor in the way it acknowledges the loss of T'Challa affecting those left behind. It's a fitting tribute and Marvel deserve a lot of respect i felt for not recasting the role and trying to carry on.
All in all an enjoyable film. I've yet to see a faultless Marvel film and I think they all largely depend on being enough fun to hide the flaws. This one did for me at least.

nicholasrope 6th February 2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681589)
I too like Morning Glory. Harrison Ford seems so far out of his comfort zone doing comedy. It's not the same as delivering a quip as Han Solo or Indiana Jones

I think that's what made it funny

J Harker 6th February 2023 09:38 PM

The Gentlemen. Guy Ritchie. 2019.

When American born marijuana kingpin Mickey Pearce decides to sell up and retire, a chain of blackmail, violence and betrayals are set in motion. Guy Ritchie returns to his native genre with this sharp fast and very funny gangland comedy. Brilliant cast featuring the always reliable Matthew McConaugey alongside Charlie Hunnam, Colin Farrel, Hugh Grant, Eddie Marsan and others. There is a bit of style over substance going on here if I'm honest but the whole thing is just a hoot with a great script, great characters and great set pieces. Plus features Colin Farrel in the second great role I've seen him in recently. And hearing Texan born McConaugey ordering a pint and a pickled egg is just surreal.
Recommended.

nicholasrope 6th February 2023 09:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Terminator Woman

Set in Africa, this Martial Arts Movie stars Jerry Trimble and Michel iussi. When 2 Detectives travel to Africa in order to deliver a Star Witness. However when the female Detective is kidnapped, it's up to her partner to save her, however she can handle herself quite well. It's not the greatest acted Film, nor the greatest script but that is not why I bought it, the Film does deliver on the Fight scenes and Action and Qissi does make a decent villain.

To Be The Best

A P/M Entertainment Film that sees Martin Kove lead an American Kickboxing team in a tournament but there are powerful people who want to try and fix things. It's not the best P/M Entertainment Film out there but it wasn't too bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681627)
The Gentlemen. Guy Ritchie. 2019.

When American born marijuana kingpin Mickey Pearce decides to sell up and retire, a chain of blackmail, violence and betrayals are set in motion. Guy Ritchie returns to his native genre with this sharp fast and very funny gangland comedy. Brilliant cast featuring the always reliable Matthew McConaugey alongside Charlie Hunnam, Colin Farrel, Hugh Grant, Eddie Marsan and others. There is a bit of style over substance going on here if I'm honest but the whole thing is just a hoot with a great script, great characters and great set pieces. Plus features Colin Farrel in the second great role I've seen him in recently. And hearing Texan born McConaugey ordering a pint and a pickled egg is just surreal.
Recommended.

I was there for Michelle Dockery swearing like a trooper.

I want to watch this again but can't decide should i pick it up on Blu or just rewatch the dvd? Talk about problems eh?