LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2023, 10:20 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The only one Lugosi comes close is The Black Cat (1934). Werdegast is his best role as far as i'm concerned.
I completely agree with you and J Harker about Lugosi and Karloff. Lugosi had presence and a strange charisma in some roles, but Karloff, no doubt due to ~eight years of stage acting in Canada and the US, was a more versatile actor who could perform with gravitas and humour, depending on what the role needed.

I suppose another advantage was that English was his first language and that growing up in England before emigrating to Canada and then moving to the US gave him a grasp of language and accents that Lugosi, whose delivery was often a bit stilted, simply couldn't match.

When they were together in The Black Cat, that was a brilliant piece of casting in an exceptional film, allowing each to shine and benefit from the other's presence that didn't quite happen in The Raven, You'll Find Out, The Body Snatcher, or Son of Frankenstein.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 10th February 2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 9th February 2023, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I completely agree with you and J Harker about Lugosi and Karloff. Lugosi had presence and a strange charisma in some roles, but Karloff, no doubt due to ~eight years of stage acting in Canada and the US, was a more versatile actor who could perform with gravitas and humour, depending on what the role needed.

I suppose another advantage was that English was his first language and that growing up in England before emigrating to Canada and then moving to the US gave him a grasp of language and accents that Lugosi, whose delivery was often a bit stilted, simply couldn't match.

When they were together in The Black Cat, that was a brilliant piece of casting in an exceptional film, allowing each to shine and benefit from the other's presence that didn't quite happen in The Raven, You'll Find Out, The Bodysnatcher, or Son of Frankenstein.
Christopher Lee couldn't raise a film like Peter Cushing could either. (I mentioned Cushing earlier so thought it relevant).

I don't think with Lee it was because he didn't have the ability, more that his heart wasn't really in it and he didn't really love what he was making,horror especially. He was certainly more in it for the money than because he enjoyed what he was doing.

A claim which is proven by his dominating presence in non-starring roles in later films by directors he admired such as Peter Jackson, George Lucas and Tim Burton.

When i say 'I don't think' i mean i know having read his memoir Lord of Misrule.
Old 9th February 2023, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Christopher Lee couldn't raise a film like Peter Cushing could either. (I mentioned Cushing earlier so thought it relevant).

I don't think with Lee it was because he didn't have the ability, more that his heart wasn't really in it and he didn't really love what he was making,horror especially. He was certainly more in it for the money than because he enjoyed what he was doing.

A claim which is proven by his dominating presence in non-starring roles in later films by directors he admired such as Peter Jackson, George Lucas and Tim Burton.

When i say 'I don't think' i mean i know having read his memoir Lord of Misrule.
Peter Cushing loved his audience and loved giving them what they loved.

Last edited by J Harker; 10th February 2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 9th February 2023, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Peter Cushing loved his audience and loved giving them what they loved.
And on that lovely note i bid you goodnight.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 9th February 2023, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

Night Sir Dem.
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 9th February 2023 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10th February 2023, 08:19 AM
Cult Master

I'll mention Ygor as one of Lugosi's stand out roles for me because it's so far from his roles where the Dracula comparison can't be made. He wasn't the main role in the films but he stood out and made you notice him.
Old 10th February 2023, 10:50 AM
Cult Addict

I've not seen any of the Frankenstein sequels past Bride, so I've yet to see Bela in the Ygor role.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 10th February 2023, 01:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I'll mention Ygor as one of Lugosi's stand out roles for me because it's so far from his roles where the Dracula comparison can't be made. He wasn't the main role in the films but he stood out and made you notice him.
The problem with Ygor is he was such a cruel character. I hate him and that's testament to Lugosi's performance. He deserves all that comes to him. I couldn't wait for the monster to kill him.

Karloff could do cruel and manipulative and heart warming all in the same film. The Body Snatcher is a great example of this.

The way he talked to young Georgina with her affliction was lovely. You'd never have known what sort of a man he was really.
Old 10th February 2023, 02:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Knock Knock (2007)

A direct to dvd slasher that's not a million miles away from being a homage to 1982's Pieces.

Although a definite throwback to the eighties i feel it tries to do something different with it's kills yet somehow they seemed both inventive and derivative. Especially the suitably grim shower scene in which a girl is hung up and gutted.

Knock Knock occasionally borders on incompetence and has that strange 80's aesthetic of when European film makers attempted to convince us their films were set in American high schools - the fact this one actually is adds to the weird vibe that permeates proceedings.

Dvd is where this one is ideally homed as it's not particularly stylish neither is it remotely politically correct but for all it's flaws (not being PC isn't one of them) Knock Knock is a film i've seen a few times now and remains memorable due to it's high gore content.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knockknockb.jpg (40.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th February 2023, 02:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Karloff could do cruel and manipulative and heart warming all in the same film. The Body Snatcher is a great example of this.

The way he talked to young Georgina with her affliction was lovely. You'd never have known what sort of a man he was really.
He could pull of such things in the same scene at times.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!