Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2023, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Baba Yaga (1973)

Utter nonsense about a middle aged seductress calling herself Baba Yaga - God knows why, someone clearly doesn't understand their folklore - who becomes infatuated with a local photographer so much so that she gives her a porcelain doll in bondage gear which enables Baba Yaga to control her.

A semi fetishistic fantasy with a fun almost Dickensian performance from Carroll Baker as Baba Yaga whilst Isabelle De Funès is Barbarella like as the photographer. It's great to see George Eastman playing against type as an uncharacteristic heroic leading man.

It's based on a comic and feels like it with it's almost surreal bubblegum style atmosphere of sleek seventies chic, but not once is it scary or even tense and it's really only the final scene that makes you remember it's supposedly a supernatural thriller.

All told Baba Yaga is a bit of a mess but it's a stylish and cool mess.

I was disappointed not to see a house on chicken legs.
Is this the Shameless presentation you watched that came with some added scenes that were Italian audio? I'm sure the Blu-Ray version is fully uncut. I actually enjoyed it for its use of the gothic dark atmosphere towards the end but it is a slow film.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thought would watch some fantasy films this month

A bunch of rowdy dwarfs and manipulative wizard lure hobbit Billbo from his cozy hobbit hole on a mission to free there homeland and confront a dragon .

It's enjoyable but like all the hobbit movies it's not a patch on the Ring movies strangely the effects seem to have aged worse than those in the rings films.

Well this has to be one of the best animated films I've seen in years . thought provoking, Inspiron , uplifting and bitter sweet.

Push in Boots has come to the last of his nine lives and retires , but he soon becomes restless and sets out to restore his nine lives.

Now watching

Old 13th February 2023, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Is this the Shameless presentation you watched that came with some added scenes that were Italian audio? I'm sure the Blu-Ray version is fully uncut. I actually enjoyed it for its use of the gothic dark atmosphere towards the end but it is a slow film.
Yes, the Shameless Blu-ray. It's the third Shameless release of the film i've owned having bought the original release then the directors cut on dvd and now upgraded to the Blu-ray of the directors cut.

That opening five minute scene which is newly added really doesn't bring anything to the table except a bunch of Italians playing cowboys and Indians (?) and the only notable addition is of a Carroll Baker full frontal scene in long shot.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Yes, the Shameless Blu-ray. It's the third Shameless release of the film i've owned having bought the original release then the directors cut on dvd and now upgraded to the Blu-ray of the directors cut.

That opening five minute scene which is newly added really doesn't bring anything to the table except a bunch of Italians playing cowboys and Indians (?) and the only notable addition is of a Carroll Baker full frontal scene in long shot.
It's one I need to re-watch, In its full uncut and clear headed, I gave my self a double bill of Italian night with Baba Yaga and Danger Diabolik.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Thought would watch some fantasy films this month

A bunch of rowdy dwarfs and manipulative wizard lure hobbit Billbo from his cozy hobbit hole on a mission to free there homeland and confront a dragon .

It's enjoyable but like all the hobbit movies it's not a patch on the Ring movies strangely the effects seem to have aged worse than those in the rings films.

Well this has to be one of the best animated films I've seen in years . thought provoking, Inspiron , uplifting and bitter sweet.

Push in Boots has come to the last of his nine lives and retires , but he soon becomes restless and sets out to restore his nine lives.

Do the Time Lords give Puss in Boots a whole new set of regeneratio...er' another nine lives?

I think the second Hobbit film is terrific. That escape in wine barrels from the wood elves as Orcs attack is wonderfully thrilling.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's one I need to re-watch, In its full uncut and clear headed, I gave my self a double bill of Italian night with Baba Yaga and Danger Diabolik.

Danger Diabolik
's a proper way to do stylish comic book chic.

Desperate for a bells and whistles Blu-ray of that.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Whip And The Body. 1963.

We got a director known for creating masterpiece movies Mario Bava and a actor known for playing excellent roles Christopher Lee who isn't afraid to use a whip outside. This does have its nice gothic setting castle with plenty of dark atmosphere, secret tunnels nice cinematography, this should work but it doesn't. After the first 15-20 minutes the film just went on a slow go pace that became a bore fest for me, the 88 Italian collection of this film was released but I decided to stream this online and glad I didn't go with a blind buy as I usually do. This was a big disappointment for me.

images (3).jpg
Old 13th February 2023, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Whip And The Body. 1963.

We got a director known for creating masterpiece movies Mario Bava and a actor known for playing excellent roles Christopher Lee who isn't afraid to use a whip outside. This does have its nice gothic setting castle with plenty of dark atmosphere, secret tunnels nice cinematography, this should work but it doesn't. After the first 15-20 minutes the film just went on a slow go pace that became a bore fest for me, the 88 Italian collection of this film was released but I decided to stream this online and glad I didn't go with a blind buy as I usually do. This was a big disappointment for me.
I quite like it but not enough to buy the new 88 Films release at twenty five quid. I'm happy enough with my Screenbound Blu.

It's certainly not "one of the greatest films of legendary director Mario Bava" as 88 Films claim on the back cover blurb.

I'm not really convinced by the colours of the Blu-ray either, 88's clip although seemingly better than the Screenbound and Kino versions is still a bit too blue and very dark with much detail seen on the dvd lost in darkness.
Old 13th February 2023, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Danger Diabolik
's a proper way to do stylish comic book chic.

Desperate for a bells and whistles Blu-ray of that.
This was a blind watch movie and one I'd gladly buy a Blu-ray release without any hesitation
Old 14th February 2023, 02:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Ringers. 1988.

David Cronenberg turns away from his horror genre with a psychological tale based on a true story of twin doctors Stewart and Cyril Marcus. Jeremy Irons plays the gynocologist twins Elliot who is over confident and charming while Beverly is quiet and shy but both share everything from work to women. Genevieve Bujold plays the actress and new patient to the twins and turns their lives upside down.

Right from the start we are introduced to the twins in their childhood and their exploration to adult theme which does play a part to their adult life with medical features and sexual pleasures. As the film goes on it does dwell into heavy drug addiction and withdrawl symptoms that is done in a careful way as to not upset the audience. Irons plays both parts really well and certainly knew how to play a straightheaded character and a person going through a detox programme. The film does have Cronenberg's trade of body modification gore but it's not over done and lasts seconds.

MV5BYTY4MTVhZGEtNGUyMS00Y2ZhLTlmN2EtMWI1YTYxMGYyN2I1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzUyOTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!