Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179044Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2023, 03:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE DEVILS – I bet fans getting into horror for the first time these days can’t believe what they used to get away with. Not much orgy or blood in evidence, but some shes, some arguable devils and plenty of sheer f@cking awfulness. I’m still into it. The lingo is seventies but the syntax is pure stilted fifties B movie; a bad film and no mistake, however look beyond the cheap laughs and there’s a weird atmosphere oozing through, quite gothicy and shadowy, and all the hippie-era trappings, dated grooviness but also proper tripped out electronics. From back-alley auteur Ted V Mikels.

IMPETIGORE – A woman travels to the village of her childhood to uncover the truth behind a family curse – she finds skinless babies and more. A good movie that doesn’t fully come off; director Joko Anwar knows how to do atmosphere and floods the proceedings with eerie but enticing visuals, but, and I’m simply joining in with the chorus here, there are too many expository wrong turns that bog it down in the latter half (and in my opinion quite a screechy ending – nothing kills mystery like melodrama). Don’t quite get the adulation from some quarters, but worth checking out all the same.
Old 17th February 2023, 12:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadgirls (1990, Dennis Devine)

Him again. Lawdy. The audio is all over the place, which just added to the fun.
Rock band retire to an isolated spot for a spot of R 'n' R ... I'll get me cloak ...
Some fun here, with some jarring edits and poor story structure going into the mix. Is an avid fan stalking them? Could it be a disgruntled relative? Strap in to find out ....
For my sins I was quite taken with some of their songs , remember how I drooled over Doom Asylum?
I digress. The last 20 minutes contained ... something interesting certainly. Lawdy.

Plane (2022, Jean-Francois Richet)

Buuuutler in decent film shocker.
When a commercial airliner is forced to land after a storm, checking how many water bottles they have is the least of their problems. The little bit of woke was noticeable ahem.
Yes, I'd recommend this, it didn't drag (really) and the stunts were fun.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th February 2023, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deep Blue Sea. 1999.

Back in the 80s we got Jaws 3 that was set underwater in a aquatic facility for tourists with some of the not so great effects, Renny Harlin gave us this little feature set under the water this time a research facility with 3 sharks that have had their senses heightened. Im not a fan of Saffron Burrows and how she managed to survive near to the end is amazing. LL Cool J is the chef with the cheeky mouth parrot. Thomas Jane is the shark wrangler who seems to have a connection with the sharks when they aren't attacking. Samuel L Jackson is the millionaire rich adventurer guy who managed to give us one of those unexpected death scenes. The effects haven't aged well but still a bit effective and entertaining.

movieposter_en.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 17th February 2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 17th February 2023, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict

I don't think I've watched Deep Blue Sea since it came out, I've had the dvd since release pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 17th February 2023, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I don't think I've watched Deep Blue Sea since it came out, I've had the dvd since release pretty much.

It is worth a glance i got part 2 and 3 to watch at some point
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 17th February 2023, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
It is worth a glance i got part 2 and 3 to watch at some point
Two's not great at all but i found three to be an entertaining ride.
Old 17th February 2023, 07:34 PM
Cult Addict

I remember enjoying the first one greatly. Just never gone back to it for some reason.

nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 17th February 2023, 08:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lighthouse (1999)

The survivors of a prison boat shipwreck think they are saved when they find a small island lighthouse off the Cornish coast. However when they discover a psychotic killer who beheads his victims also got off the stricken boat they are in for a night of terror.

Shot totally at night Lighthouse is really nothing you won't have seen before in films like 1972's Tower of Evil, however it is thoroughly enjoyable and really rather gripping.

There's a nice fog shrouded atmosphere and it's performed by a good cast including James Purefoy, Paul Brooke, Don Warrington, the very creepy Christopher Adamson and the unknown to me but very good Rachel Shelley who as a prison doctor has to put up with a lot of shit.

Simon Hunter's direction is accomplished and there are three terrific suspense sequences among the arterial splatter which had me on the edge of my seat.

Lighthouse is a fine British slasher that has sadly been neglected in the twenty years since it's dvd release and is crying out for HD treatment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1zxuSo5EhA5aml5lfddwDoy6bc.jpg (87.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th February 2023, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deep Blue Sea 2. 2018.

Another underwater shark testing facility but not with three sharks but five, a idiotic billionaire who thinks he should be up there with Darwin. A group of researchers who know they will get their asses chewed off and a somewhat added extra of a shark that may be pregnant. The first gave us a unexpected death but here they tried to recreate one and you can see it coming.

The first film gave us a reason for the research, finding a cure for Alzheimer's disease but this one I must have missed what the research is, i must have blew my nose at the time they were explaining it. Is this a sequel or a poor man's remake...I got no idea but this started well and then went south quickly. It's on the now I have seen it that's it list for me.

download.jpeg
Old 17th February 2023, 08:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I forgot to mention Paul Hyett, who went on to direct the excellent British horror films The Seasoning House (2012) and Howl (2015) was the make up and special effects designer for Lighthouse. He also did the same for Neil Marshall on The Descent (2005)

Like this? Share it using the links below!