Old 23rd February 2023, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mardi Gras Massacre. 1978.

What Da Fook have i just watched...listed on the DDP's video nasties list and prosecuted on the final 39 list...obviously someone didn't like the women wearing very little dancing about or the full frontal nudity...oh wait it may be the cutting up the chest and removing a heart that upset people. Right at the start the two women talking to a bar tender, you know right away the deliverance of the dialogue is going to be naff. We have a guy stalking some certain ladies and sacrificing to a god that I'm not even gonna spell cos no doubt autocorrect will screw it up for me. I know my taste in movies is questionable but this Is a first and last watch for me.
I've never seen it, but I ordered it a few weeks ago with some pre-release titles and it came yesterday.

When I get around to watching it, I will try to forget about your persuasive review and watch it with an open mind.
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen it, but I ordered it a few weeks ago with some pre-release titles and it came yesterday.

When I get around to watching it, I will try to forget about your persuasive review and watch it with an open mind.
Hope you enjoy it a lot more than what I did Nos.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd February 2023, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flatliners. 1990.

Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, William Baldwin, Kevin Bacon and Oliver Platt play the medical students who decide to see whats there in the afterlife. What starts as a manic experiment leads to masculinity with betting each other on who can stay dead the longest and be brought back but inadvertently end up bringing with them a sin of their past. This is the first time watching this in...so many years and forgot how Joel Schumacher managed to create such a dark toned gothic style thriller. You go into the unknown to find answers that you seek and something else comes back to basically haunt or torment you. First time I watched it and never really gave this much thought but now I actually enjoyed it.

p_800x1200_Flatliners1990_EN_111117.jpg
Old 23rd February 2023, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Friday The 13th: A New Beginning (1985, Danny Steinman)

Having never seen this one, I felt I had to after all this time.
Sometimes dead is betterer.
Jason targets a halfway house for teens with issues. Laugh riot surely?
Well ...
Time has passed as Tommy Jarvis is now in his 20s, who is being transported to a new facility as we open. Haunted by the hockey mask some what, he better not look behind him then ...
I know Paramount had a downer on their slasher stepchild, but come on ffs , poorly written characters, no main focal point and the usuallly brutally shorn kills. And then .... I sort of sat up at that revelation. What affrontery on their part. The chap from Return Of The Living Dead was fun for all that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2023, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

National Lampoon's Ratko: The Dictator's Son (2009)

A stupid gross out comedy about the son of the tyrant leader of fake eastern European country Hanjobia who is enrolled at (and takes over) an American college where he instantly falls for student activist Katrina Bowden (Who wouldn't?).

Silly and crude, last night was my second viewing of this and it just about wobbles along on some fun performances - Efren Ramirez is a likable fella despite having let's say different morals to the rest of his campus - and one or two laugh out loud moments. The college 'skanks' (Their words, not mine) had me in tears of laughter.

Adam West has no shame as the dictator in question and it's worth looking out for former Doctor Who companion Yee Jee Tso, who at age 35 plays one of the students.

It has to be said that Sacha Baron Cohen does this kind of thing so much better in The Dictator (2012) but i also kinda' like this.
Old 23rd February 2023, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Well ...
Time has passed as Tommy Jarvis is now in his 20s, who is being transported to a new facility as we open. Haunted by the hockey mask some what, he better not look behind him then ...
I know Paramount had a downer on their slasher stepchild, but come on ffs , poorly written characters, no main focal point and the usuallly brutally shorn kills. And then .... I sort of sat up at that revelation. What affrontery on their part. The chap from Return Of The Living Dead was fun for all that.
You might find this surprising but it improves with re-watches. I think to begin with it's everyone's worst film of the eight part original series but it does grow on you. At least it did with me.
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Flatliners. 1990.

Keifer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, William Baldwin, Kevin Bacon and Oliver Platt play the medical students who decide to see whats there in the afterlife. What starts as a manic experiment leads to masculinity with betting each other on who can stay dead the longest and be brought back but inadvertently end up bringing with them a sin of their past. This is the first time watching this in...so many years and forgot how Joel Schumacher managed to create such a dark toned gothic style thriller. You go into the unknown to find answers that you seek and something else comes back to basically haunt or torment you. First time I watched it and never really gave this much thought but now I actually enjoyed it.

Attachment 244874
Nice to read your thoughts on this one MrB. I ge the impression you felt the same as me. I hadn't seen Flatliners in 25 years. I didn't remember it being all that but a rewatch last year completely grabbed me. A dark gothic flavour in places, Schumachers direction and the lovely cinematography was very engaging. There was a stronger horror element than I remembered.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Well ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You might find this surprising but it improves with re-watches. I think to begin with it's everyone's worst film of the eight part original series but it does grow on you. At least it did with me.
I'm working my way through the Friday the 13th blu-ray collection at the moment. I've watched the first two (both re-watches though I could barely remember a thing from the first time). From 3 onwards it will be virgin viewings so to speak. The first two are excellent though, I still need to compose reviews.

Old 24th February 2023, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Nice to read your thoughts on this one MrB. I ge the impression you felt the same as me. I hadn't seen Flatliners in 25 years. I didn't remember it being all that but a rewatch last year completely grabbed me. A dark gothic flavour in places, Schumachers direction and the lovely cinematography was very engaging. There was a stronger horror element than I remembered.

I agree with you Mr Harker, back when I watched it, this seemed like a thriller but ealier this definitely has a darker chiller tone to it, when Keifer Sutherland had the first encounter with the dog Schumacher knew how to build up the suspense with his use of cinematography and light effect from colourful to dark.
J Harker and nicholasrope like this.
Old 24th February 2023, 12:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm working my way through the Friday the 13th blu-ray collection at the moment. I've watched the first two (both re-watches though I could barely remember a thing from the first time). From 3 onwards it will be virgin viewings so to speak. The first two are excellent though, I still need to compose reviews.

I watched these on Blu-ray last year back to back just about although my reviews may not be the greatest i certainly enjoyed them and hope you will have a good time viewing them.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!