Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2023, 10:30 PM
Cult Addict

Code Of Silence

A war between two crime gangs escalates and Chuck Norris is stuck in the middle but his fellow Policemen won't help him because he testified against a fellow Policeman. I found this rather boring, it did have an interesting storyline regarding Norris not having any help but it comes near the end.

I do wonder if Robocop got the inspiration for ED-209 from this Film lol.[/QUOTE]

Code of Silence is an odd film. I watched it donkeys years ago as a teenager and thought it was great. Watched it many years later and it was dull as. Haven't watched it since.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 7th March 2023, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Double Date (2017)

Two guys hook up with two deadly sisters who drug them and take them back to their place for some occult style sacrifice.

Switching the horror norms about in this British horror / comedy as it's the girls who are psychopathic killers and lads playing the victim even if they began as predators on the hunt to get laid. I found this a bit tiresome first time round but a return visit paid dividends.

There's some definite Inbetweeners style smutty lads on the lash style comedy but when it becomes a full blown horror film it goes into overdrive with some quality violence and bloodshed. In the middle of all the mayhem there's a genuinely surreal scene where two of the characters leave the date to visit their kin folk to celebrate a birthday in what can only be described as song and dance insanity.

All four leads are great with the vampish Kelly Wenham and bawdy Michael Socha in particularly good form.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (89.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th March 2023, 11:01 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Echoes of Fear (2018)

Following the death of her grandfather, a young woman inherits his house. Deciding to do it up and sell it on she moves into the place. She soon begins to hear strange sounds and movements from the corner of her eye...

I'm not going to say anything else plot wise.

I thought this was a tremendous low budget horror film. It's so much more than a typical modern supernatural piece and it's scary. Proper edge of the seat stuff. It's beautifully made and acted and the sense of dread is palpable from the off. Thankfully the atmosphere is sustained throughout and the many scares on offer aren't the typical crash bang wallop studio style jump scares.

Rather than speedy editing and jump cuts the camera is allowed to quietly explore the house from interesting angles meaning the jumps and chills work very effectively.

Although Echoes of Fear seems to set out on a well worn supernatural path it becomes clear after a while that this is an original suspenseful take on the genre which builds to a climax i didn't see coming, a climax that was very satisfying indeed not to mention really creepy. In fact when you think about what was taking place it's really pretty disturbing stuff.

Last night was my second viewing of Echoes of Fear and i highly recommend it to all who like low budget well crafted horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v3_sqs.jpg (69.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th March 2023, 06:35 PM
Cult Addict

This sounds very interesting Dem. It's available on Prime Video, I may have a look. Reviews on Amazon are all over the shop.
One opens with - "You'll find this scary if you find cheap,80's style horror films scary." I'd sooner trust your thoughts.

Old 8th March 2023, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Assassin. 1993.

American remake of the French film Nikkita, Bridget Fonda plays the drug addict Maggie who is given a second chance by a government agency to be a killer or be killed there and then. Gabriel Byrne plays the agent man Bob who enlisted Maggie and Miguel Ferrer as the head man of the agency who calls the shots.

Both original and this version are good but to be fair Nikkita is superior and a bit more violent. Both Bob and Maggie do have chemistry which is built up well by the actors but Harvey Kietel does steal the show a bit even though it's a small role as the cleaner, his expression never changes.

hBjnflwb1KUpuYGwKaPYe1nOjWj.jpg
Old 8th March 2023, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Assassin. 1993.

American remake of the French film Nikkita, Bridget Fonda plays the drug addict Maggie who is given a second chance by a government agency to be a killer or be killed there and then. Gabriel Byrne plays the agent man Bob who enlisted Maggie and Miguel Ferrer as the head man of the agency who calls the shots.

Both original and this version are good but to be fair Nikkita is superior and a bit more violent. Both Bob and Maggie do have chemistry which is built up well by the actors but Harvey Kietel does steal the show a bit even though it's a small role as the cleaner, his expression never changes.

Attachment 245059
Now there's one I haven't seen in years. This was in my local cex for a long time but I wasn't paying £20.

nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 8th March 2023, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Now there's one I haven't seen in years. This was in my local cex for a long time but I wasn't paying £20.

£20...Was that On blu-ray?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 8th March 2023, 11:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
£20...Was that On blu-ray?
Yeah.

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 8th March 2023, 11:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Yeah.

That's a bit steep, HMV had it on their shelves here for £10.99.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 9th March 2023, 01:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tower Block. 2012.

Last of the residents of a tower block are being picked off by a unknown sniper.

Sheridan Smith leads a small band of those left to survival over a weekend after few months before when a teen was killed and nobody says anything. Ralph Brown plays a neighbour who still manages to pull a few punches with wanna be hard man Jack O'Connell who thinks he is the big guy on the landing. This isn't too bad for a low budget British indie movie that does use the term "The Three Wise Monkeys" that a lot of people do and karma comes back. There is one or two notable goofs in this and while not a perfect film, this I'd happily watch again.

81ulqUzITzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!