Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2023, 01:18 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Ghost in Monte Carlo (1990)

I discovered a load of given away with newspapers films the other day. Must have been around fifty of them hidden under the stairs gathering dust. They range from classics like The Eagle Has Landed to romantic adaptations of Catherine Cookson novels.

Deciding not to simply throw them away i thought i'd give them all a watch over time.

A period drama set in 1875, A Ghost in Monte Carlo is based on the novel of the same name by Barbara Cartland. It tells of an ageing courtesan (Sara Miles) who relocates to Monte Carlo and manipulates her niece in a deadly game of revenge aimed at the aristocrats she blames for her sister's death.

Produced by Lew Grade (Raise the Titanic, Saturn 3) and directed by John Hough (Twins of Evil) this is a lavish made for tv production with gorgeous Monte Carlo locations. It's really not a bad film with plenty going on from romance to a remarkably graphic murder murder with lots of aristocratic machinations in between. However it wasn't the story that drew me to this it was the fantastic cast. Who wouldn't find curiosity in a film starring Sara Miles, Lysette Anthony, Oliver Reed, Christopher Plummer, Samantha Eggar, Fiona Fullerton, Gareth Hunt, Lewis Collins, Joanna Lumley, Ron Moody and Marcus Gilbert who i remembered well from Doctor Who: Battlefield and Raimi's Army of Darkness.

This goes for silly money on dvd. The film looks and sounds very good so i'm happy to have it in my collection despite the crappy cardboard sleeve and also pleased to have actually enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (93.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th March 2023, 07:52 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I discovered a load of given away with newspapers films the other day
There were some great DVDs and CDs that were given away with newspapers back in the day

I can remember getting things such as 'Don't Look Now' (uncut), a lot of 'Carry On...' films, a number of Doctor Who related titles, Marillion's 'Misplaced Childhood', 'Tubular Bells', numerous rock compilations etc

The inclusion of these freebies somehow made it less embarrassing when you went into the newsagent and got a copy of the Daily Mail or The Sun!

They should bring back these handouts!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th March 2023, 10:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
There were some great DVDs and CDs that were given away with newspapers back in the day

I can remember getting things such as 'Don't Look Now' (uncut), a lot of 'Carry On...' films, a number of Doctor Who related titles, Marillion's 'Misplaced Childhood', 'Tubular Bells', numerous rock compilations etc

The inclusion of these freebies somehow made it less embarrassing when you went into the newsagent and got a copy of the Daily Mail or The Sun!

They should bring back these handouts!!
I have Tubular Bells as a paper freebie, same with Adam and the Ants Kings of the Wild Frontier among others.

Here's a choice selection of the films i found. Everything from Hitchcock to Harry Palmer to the Musketeers films soon to be released restored by StudioCanal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0595 (Large).jpg (93.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0596 (Large).jpg (102.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 9th March 2023, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have Tubular Bells as a paper freebie, same with Adam and the Ants Kings of the Wild Frontier among others.

Here's a choice selection of the films i found. Everything from Hitchcock to Harry Palmer to the Musketeers films soon to be released restored by StudioCanal.
Narrow Margin with Gene Hackman I remember really enjoying. Been a long time but it's a very tense cat and mouse thriller set aboard a train.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 9th March 2023, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Narrow Margin with Gene Hackman I remember really enjoying. Been a long time but it's a very tense cat and mouse thriller set aboard a train.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I've seen that a few times. That was already with my collection rather than one that i 'found' the other day.

Brilliant film. I'd love to see the original film but never have as of yet.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 9th March 2023, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Temp (1993)

From 'Master of Horror' Tom Holland comes this tale of Timothy Hutton's exec at a large biscuit company who loses his current secretary when his wife goes into labour and finds Lara Flynn Boyle in his place the next day. Unfortunately she's a secretary from hell who will stop at nothing to get to the top.

One of those films that puts a cuckoo in the nest of a stable environment that cropped up every other month during the nineties such as The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Pacific Heights and Poison Ivy. This is as daft as they come but also a lot of fun.

Boyle is excellent as is Hutton and they are bolstered by a classy support cast including Faye Dunaway, Dwight Schultz and Oliver Platt.

In a way there's nothing here anyone who likes the genre won't have seen before but it's undemanding, occasionally gripping viewing that proves an enjoyable time waster. Fourth watch for me i think across the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87h7OsuTWZURTZ1oSNfLl8bqfbO.jpg (92.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th March 2023, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Patriot Games. 1992.

Harrison Ford steps in the role that started with Alex Baldwin as C.I.A. analyst Jack Ryan, while working in London, Ryan stops a terrorist attack on a member of the royal family orchastrated by a I.R.A. fraction group and becomes a target himself.

James Earl Jones returns as the Admiral who believes with Jack coming back to work and have the law on his side to kill if necessary and get away with it and seek out the group. Sean Bean and Patrick Bergin play the fraction and have set out on different goals to accomplish their mission. This has always been a decent thriller even though it can be a bit slow and stop but the climatic ending does make up for it with a good few tense moments.

yToAJg67r3hk3Ux3sfXOdpiqxU.jpg
Old 9th March 2023, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Code Of Silence

A war between two crime gangs escalates and Chuck Norris is stuck in the middle but his fellow Policemen won't help him because he testified against a fellow Policeman. I found this rather boring, it did have an interesting storyline regarding Norris not having any help but it comes near the end.

I do wonder if Robocop got the inspiration for ED-209 from this Film lol.
Code of Silence is an odd film. I watched it donkeys years ago as a teenager and thought it was great. Watched it many years later and it was dull as. Haven't watched it since.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I think that we all have those Films that we enjoyed back in the day but after a re-watch years later, we don't enjoy them anymore.

With me during Lockdown it was Rush Hour 1&2,
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 9th March 2023, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Scream VI

The survivors from the previous Scream Movie are now in New York but that hasn't stopped Ghost Face from showing up.

As with the rest of the Films, there are Easter Eggs and winks to a knowing crowd, Franchises, Sequels to Requels and Nostalgia Appearances.

Also they play into the fact that any new characters are suspects and there is a nod to all the other Scream Films.

It was a nice refreshing change to take it out of Woodsboro and have it in a bigger location and they made changes to how Ghost Face operates.

All in all, I rather enjoyed it, bloodier than usual.

SPOILER:
I did wonder if they were/are going the Rocky/Creed route by having all the original characters gone and having newer faces carry on the Franchise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svi.jpg (11.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 9th March 2023, 11:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm off to see it in a minute. First time I've gone to the cinema since Jan 2020!
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!