Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2023, 06:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Friday the 13th. Sean S.Cunningham. 1980.

The first installment the iconic slasher franchise. Years after a number of brutal murders at a summer camp a group of young new counsellors attempt to reopen the place. Everyone knows the story here and have probably watched it numerous times. I've actually only seen it two, maybe three times. First recorded off sky movies back in the late 90s. I thought it was ok nothing special.
The blu-ray shines new light on this classic with a beautiful transfer that really amps up this films atmosphere, felt like I was in the woods around Camp Crystal Lake watching events unfold.
The characters are all quite likeable, something that helps no end. I always think slashers sink or float based on the characters, if they're all unlikeable then why do I care what happens.
Also the fact that the franchise's legendary villain is here more of a plot mechanic than an actual character means the film at times ironically plays more like a Hitchcockian mystery or an American giallo than your traditional slasher.
I really enjoyed this rewatch and put the second film on only a few days later. Thoughts to follow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Most common line in the film - "Oh. It's you" - right before a murder takes place.

Maybe it isn't but it seems like it is to me.
Old 13th March 2023, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Most common line in the film - "Oh. It's you" - right before a murder takes place.

I don't know if it is, but I reckon that had an impact on every horror made after

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th March 2023, 06:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

Almost as bad as Carol Anne in Poltergeist 3
Old 13th March 2023, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Act Of Vengeance. 2017.

Nice B grade film of revenge with Antonio Banderas as a fast talking lawyer who's wife and daughter are murdered. When copper Karl Urban informs him the case is going to be sided down he begins his own quest to seek revenge. Both male leads are great in other films but in this it seems to be macho vs macho with each of them in their cage fights and both are not scared to take a beating and far better than what Seagal could deliver in a film. Worth a watch for something different in the action revenge genre.

MV5BMjI2NTg5NDA1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEyMDk2MzI@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th March 2023, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Almost as bad as Carol Anne in Poltergeist 3
Every time anyone mentions Carol Anne The Shining by Misfits hits me straight away worming it's way round my brain.

So thanks for that.

'Carol Anne the beast is calling'

You listen to it and see if it grabs you.

American Psycho (1997)
Old 13th March 2023, 10:20 PM
Cult Addict

Friday the 13th Part 2. Steve Miner. 1981.

Now it's hard to pretend this sequel delivered anything different to the first film.
So I won't. However it is again a great film, a likeable bunch of young folk rock up at a summer camp just through the woods from Camp Crystal Lake. What happens simply beggars belief....
What I will say is again I felt like I could smell Hitchcock. There's even a shower scene at the beginning, albeit a clever twist. There's just something about the atmosphere or vibe of these first two films that has really grabbed me and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Add to that the blu-ray transfers are superb.
Roll on part 3.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Friday the 13th Part 2. Steve Miner. 1981.

Now it's hard to pretend this sequel delivered anything different to the first film.
So I won't. However it is again a great film, a likeable bunch of young folk rock up at a summer camp just through the woods from Camp Crystal Lake. What happens simply beggars belief....
What I will say is again I felt like I could smell Hitchcock. There's even a shower scene at the beginning, albeit a clever twist. There's just something about the atmosphere or vibe of these first two films that has really grabbed me and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. Add to that the blu-ray transfers are superb.
Roll on part 3.
Have you got the £30 UK set or the Shout Factory box set?

I have the UK one and thought the transfers were all excellent.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Have you got the £30 UK set or the Shout Factory box set?

I have the UK one and thought the transfers were all excellent.
The UK set same as you Dem. I got it during HMVs 20% off deal so I paid about 22 for it. So far I'm well pleased.

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The UK set same as you Dem. I got it during HMVs 20% off deal so I paid about 22 for it. So far I'm well pleased.
There's more than enough extras as well for each film.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 14th March 2023, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blade: Trinity. 2004.

Blade is teamed with a group of vampire killers called "Nightstalkers" while their enemy has unearthed Dracula.

I have never been a fan of this instalment, Dominic Purcell as Dracula (Drake) may have cast for a bit of eye candy for some and taking away the dark tone from the character we often familiarize with the Stokers creation. Jessica Biel steps in as the new Whistler (As it's explained why she wasn't wiped out with her family). Ryan Reynolds as the fast talker sarcastic former familiar who is now a hunter. Parker Posey is the bad tempered vampire vixen wih brother Triple H who has a soft spot for small genetic crossed dogs that have the Reaper strain. Wesley Snipes is Blade but doesn't seem to be the main star as he seemed to be side lined, dispute with the director was the talk of the behind the scenes. The weapons are kicked up a notch and the kills are what we expect to see with the bodies burning up and turning to ash but to me this seemed a bit more talky talky than the previous two films.

image.jpeg

Like this? Share it using the links below!