Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2023, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 245287

On a miserable dark wet night a lone female in town for a job interview pulls up outside her rented Air BnB after forcing herself out of her car into the rain she discovers the keys to her accommodation are missing. Trying to contact the people who she rented the place from she can get an answer. Sunddenly a man appears at the door just as startled as she is it would appear the place has been doubled book. After some time chatting and hopelessly trying to get a hotel room they decide that he will take the couch and she will take the bed until they can sort something out the next day. What seems like a risky situation escalates but not for the reasons one might expect when two strangers take a chance on each other but there inside this house things are far darker than they appear from the outside.

Barbarian gets off to a great start obviously the decision making right off the bat is a little stupid but no bad decisions no film so we look past that one . Trying not to give too many details with a films that's so new so excuse me if I'm a little vague here.

When things really kick off you might be forgiven for thing aw for f**k sake after the start of the film would suggest it's going to be a different sort of film entirely but it is quite sinister and disturbing althought not in your face with gore or explicit details it's what we don't see that makes this so dark even little subtle details after the film is over and you think back there are so many unsettling little things that really stuck with me since last night. Ts easy to take it all a face value and think we'll that's rediculous but there is a lot going on under the surface if you really pay attention.

I really loved Justin Longs character what a little weasley scum bag.

I really enjoyed it and it has improved as I think even more about it and let it all settle in. The soundtrack also deserves a special mention really gets under the skin brilliant.

I really hope that can be classed as a review for how vague it was

It's a thumbs up from me.
This one has popped up on my radar but never been too sure of it but after reading your view Nordi you certainly sold me on it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 21st March 2023, 12:37 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This one has popped up on my radar but never been too sure of it but after reading your view Nordi you certainly sold me on it.
I'll expect a short review now after I said all that.

Well that was Sh!t
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 21st March 2023, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil Returns (1983, Richard Chen)

HK madness with that giallo flavour? Why not indeed. A young couple find more than croup when they find they are expecting.
A shame here as the hideously dark print hides some of the fun, but I persevered. Recovering from a past trauma to start life afresh? Check!
Totally ridiculous FX? Check! All in all, this was rather lovely tbh.

The Barn Part II (2022, Justin M. Seaman)

Now this is what that load of old Pooh should have been
Several cult luminaries pop up to add some fun to this silly, gurgly, grotty delight. It didn't hurt that I found the female lead rather cute ...
Another haunted house caper? For shame Demoncrat, repeats we get on the BBC
I digress.
When a sorority decides to make this year's Halloween go with a bang, little do they know what the future holds in store for them ...
Recommended. There is no The Barn Part 1 btw

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2023, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dark Nature (2009)

The story of a family who go to visit the kids grandmother on a remote part of the Scottish coastline. Thats all you need to know about the plot as to go any further gives things away.

A second time viewing for me and once again i really liked this. From its shocking opening to the end credits. Director Marc de Launay, for me has created a beautiful piece of low budget cinema. It's no thrill ride i admit but every shot seems to hold some sort of secret to the story and not a piece of film seems wasted, the director certainly has an eye for a scene.

The cast of unknown actors do a great job, their performances are believable and hold the viewers attention whilst making you care about them. Mostly.

Another stand out is the musical score. Often just a single piano note, it creates a quite disturbing build up of tension.

The film is one that can clearly be taken on two levels. It can be seen as just another slasher film akin to Bava's A Bay of Blood (1971) but thats just lazy. It clearly isn't just another slasher movie. Whilst very bloody in places the film has aspects of Long Weekend (1978) which were far creepier and stuck in the head longer than any machete blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1307041203216_l.jpg (35.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st March 2023, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A double bill of Italian knockoffs of mad Max.

The first is mixup of Mad Max and a sword and sorcery film. Here a small group of survivors here about a magical place were people are immortal , we have psychotic gangs, undying pigmies and Amazon's . Terrible but in a good way.

The second was more enjoyable , a gang calling themselves the temples are terrorising the wasteland, a few people band together to stop them . We have George Eastman and Fred Williamson and that kid from house by the cemetery who's some psychotic little car whizz. Enjoyable .

With going to watch John Wick 4 on Friday thought it was time to give the first 3 a rewatch. So now watching the first.

Old 21st March 2023, 08:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'd forgotten Lance Armstrong was in Dodgeball. My dad idolised the man, he passed away before Armstrong's lies were exposed.
I remember you saying that because it was comforting to know he died idolising a brilliant cyclist and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, not a disgraced, lying cheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
To be honest when that scene came up I fast forward that part, being a famous sports person that was caught cheating in a sport and hearing him give motivational speech would be hypocritical.
Yeah, I keep meaning to rewatch Dodgeball and, each time I do, I always wonder how I'll think watching that motivational scene involving someone whose story is partly true but mostly bullshit, an excuse for industrial-scale fraud and deception.
Old 21st March 2023, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I remember you saying that because it was comforting to know he died idolising a brilliant cyclist and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, not a disgraced, lying cheat.

Yeah, I keep meaning to rewatch Dodgeball and, each time I do, I always wonder how I'll think watching that motivational scene involving someone whose story is partly true but mostly bullshit, an excuse for industrial-scale fraud and deception.
I can remember when the accusations were first coming out and my dad vehemently defending the guy.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 21st March 2023, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Shazam!: Fury Of The Gods

Shazam and his fellow Superheros are treated as jokes but they have to defend Earth from vengeful Gods played by Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu. DC's answer to Guardians Of The Galaxy, this does have some funny moments and it's not that bad. It is a bit too long though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfotg.jpg (10.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:43 PM
Cult Master

download.jpeg

Madison is a woman living with many demons not just the trauma of having a string of miscarriages but she is also in an extremely abusive relationship which seems to be the cause of her misfortune with going full term. One night her partner smashes her head into a wall resulting in the loss of another child but karma comes back on him that very night when an intruder enters their house and kills the abusive spouse. From that night on Madison starts to experience visions of people's murders as they happen and she is forced to work with the police to try help stop the killer from taking more lives but she is more connected to these cases than anyone could of imagined.

Jesus Christ this was a very infuriating and painful watch there is absolutely no positives here everything is a mess. First off the look feel and the acting was like a something made for SYFY channel. I usually would laugh at a badly acted scene but I couldn't even crack a smile at any stage here there is one scene where Madison comes clean to her sister about the fact she was adopted and the expression on her sisters face was just so painfully stupid I was gobsmacked. The story is so bad and the convenience of things happening was laughable but not laughable at all it just hurt to watch. A scene where the sister is trying to find the files about Madison's adoption and she breaks into this gigantic abandoned building parks right in the edge of a cliff walks into the first room finds the files documents pictures biological mother's history where she is now and video tapes just laying there GOD SAKE. I swear the longer the film goes on the worse it gets the dialogue gets cheesier and cheesier with every sentence some of the most generic embarssessing badly written dialogue I have ever heard. A lot of the film was ripped straight from the directors time directing Incidious a little bit of one trick pony action.

What starts like a slasher turns into a psychological horror then turns into a possession movie then when it's bored with that turns into John Wick and then when that's played out goes back to possession
Christ alive make up your bloody mind what sort of film your trying to make.

As always I have to talk music it's so important to me in films and here it drove me crazy it was all over the place sinister 80s synth music just thrown into a scene where they are driving down the street then looking at a building and talking about going in it was so out of place I couldn't even focus on the dialogue I think kepth thinking why is this happening what's going on. A few minutes later there is some techno music playing while they are having another conversation the soundtrack has to be one of the most mixed up I have ever heard but not even placed in appropriate places it's not used to create tension or atmosphere just feelings of rage inside me.

I absolutely hate this film and I went to bed pissed off last night that I wasted two hours of my life on this abomination.

Old 22nd March 2023, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Always enjoyed this from seeing it years ago on VHS, a priest who has survived being throwing out a 17 story window is giving comission of church , which the last few priests had been ritualistically murdered , he gets involved in the life of a waitress at a satanic club soon disturbing and gruesome things start happening which the church says is the work of a demon which the priest doesn't believe but soon changes his mind.

It's a very enjoyable horror with some tense moments and good kills and gore.

This is just a fantastic action movie that gave the world a new action hero in the form of John Wick and what a action hero , the man you sent to kill the bogeyman , they should of just sent him after Micheal Myers and we wouldn't have had too put up with those poor sequels .

John's car is stolen and dog is killed , which Was a present from his late wife. This makes John unearth a part of his life he had thought he had buried for good.

So starts a bloody and brutal quest. The action scenes are amazing with Wick using kungfu , gun-fu and even car-fu to dispatch endless bad guys. A classic of the genre . Watch out for the late Lance Reddick is a enjoyabe role as a hotel Concierge.

Now watching

Like this? Share it using the links below!