Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2023, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scorned. 1993.

Another late night movie that appeared on Channel 5 back in the late 90s with Shannon Tweed as the wife of a business man who's deal went south and killed himself. Enraged she goes after Andrew Stevens and his family Kim Morgan Greene and Michael D. Arenz by posing as a tutor, gaining their trust and seducing all three. This feels like a different different version of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle with added in some softcore sex scenes that can help get a man's motor running. I wouldn't say this was suspenseful or any tense moments but worth a watch.

pLIUNzW6Qf4QzNjzL6ujikKJvj8.jpg
Old 28th March 2023, 08:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Another enjoyably 50s b movie , here a engineer/ pilot working for the navy says he say a UFO , he isn't believed until other aircraft start disappearing . They soon find that it's not UFO in the traditional sense big gigantic flying turkey the loves snaking on people, it also has a antimatter shield which makes it invincible. The creature looks quite laughable but also a little creepy at the same time .
The Giant Claw is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 28th March 2023, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mirrormask (2005)

From artist Dave Mckean and writer Neil Gaiman comes this visually stunning fantasy film.

Quite lovely to watch and even better to hear, even on dvd this works the 5:1 speakers superbly, Mirrormask is quite a spectacle, however the story is slight - A girl must find the fabled Mirrormask in order to get home from a strange land populated by very Gaiman-esq creations - and although some scenes really take you away from it all and into some dark and weird places, the film on the whole is a little unsatisfying.

I can certainly see why this has gained a cult following over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirrormask.jpg (31.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th March 2023, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Infinity Pool

When a tourist in a fictitious country kills a local, he is given an opportunity to be cloned and send his double to be executed in his place. Afterwards he joins other tourists who end up getting more and more clones but things take a turn for the worst as things go insane. It's not bad, not as complicated as you may suspect and Mia Goth plays a psycho really well.

Rock 'N' Roll High School

Story of a High School where the students are rebellious and into The Ramones and the new Principle is rather strict (Looks like she could be from a Women In Prison Movie lol) It's silly, not be taken seriously but it's fun in it's own way.

VHS 99

Anthology which sees 5 random Short Films that were on a Videotape. This was a strange one as the 1st four Films had a interesting premise but each of them were too long and once the supernatural elements came on, it ruined them. The 5th Story, I couldn't get into and felt that they were trying to recreate Gollum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ip.jpg (3.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rnrhs.jpg (14.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vhs 99.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th March 2023, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scorned 2. 1997.

A woman having nightmarish visions and a family looking for their missing son may be connected.

Tane McClure jumps into the role previously played by Shannon Tweed, who now has developed amnesia and her hubby has no idea of her past till she catches him with student Wendy Schumacher and everything comes back. The plot of this seemed interesting but doesn't play out well. Andrew Stevens returns as the father looking for his son but seems to get a small pop up here and there role. Like the previous film there is very little suspense but a good way of getting revenge on people.

32456-scorned-2-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
Old 29th March 2023, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NOCEBO – Eva Green designs clothes for kids, but then something happens and she ends up with a strange, inexplicable illness. Chai Fonacier arrives unannounced from the Philippines and wants to help… the only thing is, maybe someone’s in league with the supernatural etc. The well turned-out ‘Nocebo’ intrigues with magical realist vibes and a dash of body horror, an interesting concoction that kept me in but ultimately didn’t quite ignite. Still worth checking out for lovers of giant ticks, mangey dogs and swallowable birds.

SADISTIC INTENTIONS – Someone with an apparent Crispin Glover fixation lures his mates to a house where bad stuff might happen. A strong build, full of foreshadowing with its subtle mix of social cringe comedy and the feeling of something off-key brewing in the background, doesn’t quite survive a shift into outright mayhem. But this is an interesting debut from the director of ‘The Leech’, and features a bit of charisma from Taylor Zaudtke and microhorror reliable Jeremy Gardner.

DARKLANDS – A small Welsh town is beset by pagan goings on – journo Craig Fairbrass is the geezer to sort it all out. The industrial haze of the credits promises atmosphere, but what you get resembles an episode of Taggart with interludes courtesy of STOMP. Then again, there’s an on-the-nose pulpishness driving it along, and the ritual rape of Fairbrass for the purpose of druidic impregnation was not something I thought I’d ever see. The “constant trips to the local library to research a small-town occult mystery by microfiche” was about the only other aspect I enjoyed. Takes me back to a magical time of floppy haircuts and pubs with ashtrays. The nostalgist in me says yes – the sensible part reckons probably not.
Old 29th March 2023, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Final Destination 5

The last in the series so far sees a Bridge Collapse and the survivors die in some really good gruesome ways also the twist at the end makes sense once you think about it.

SPOILER:
As this was a prequel, it explains why there was no mention of the previous incidents.

Mad Max

Set in an Australian Wasteland, Mel Gibson is the Cop who gets revenge on a brutal Motorcycle Gang. This was alright once it got going.

Also did anyone named Goose in a Film die and was the ending an inspiration for the ending of Saw?

Freight

British Hard Man Film which sees Billy Murray and Associates dealing with Romanian Human Traffickers who abducted his Daughter. Normally I'm not a fan of this Genre but it was short and had good Action and I don't mind Billy Murray.

Mardi Gras Massacre

Yes I relented and purchased it, I put it on with very low expectations but knew what to expect and to be honest, I've seen worse. Yes the Acting is terrible but I think that's the charm (Somebody evil) and the F/X was atrocious and I'm pretty sure they used the same body cutting scenes also the Opening and Closing Credits were very basic and cheap looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fd5.jpg (12.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mm.jpg (13.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mmm.jpg (15.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 30th March 2023, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hollywoodland. 2006.

A private detective is hired to look into the suicide of actor George Reeves and uncovers secrets and scandals surrounding the actor.

Adrien Brody plays the detective Simo who is trying to make a name for himself while struggling with his own personnel problems with his wife and son. Ben Affleck plays the actor chosen for the part in the show as Superman and becomes involved with Diane Lane who is married to MGM manager Bob Hoskins. Told in flashbacks and present shows the rise and fall of the T.V. star who despised the character he help create and the different viewpoints on how Reeves died. Both actors bring out their acting abilities in great performances to the screen that you actually feel sorry for them both with them trying to make a name for themselves and facing obstacles in their way.

The film does show when Reeves was almost injured on set when a cable snapped and landed hard on the studio floor but reports say he landed on his back and not his front. Also includes when a small boy pulled a gun at Reeves while dressed as Superman and how he talked him out to not fire the gun.

738_Hollywoodland_Catalog_Poster_Approved.jpg
Old 30th March 2023, 01:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I remember being so disappointed by Hollywoodland. I thought i'd love it and wanted to love it and it bored me to tears.

It's Affleck. He's a terrible, terrible actor. Or he was back then. he improved when he became a director in films like Argo and The Town in which he was good in both.
Old 30th March 2023, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I remember being so disappointed by Hollywoodland. I thought i'd love it and wanted to love it and it bored me to tears.

It's Affleck. He's a terrible, terrible actor. Or he was back then. he improved when he became a director in films like Argo and The Town in which he was good in both.
Have never been a fan of Affleck and Daredevil sealed it for me to actually avoid his films then saw Dogma and kinda brought me back to liking him and this film.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!