Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

antmumford 9th August 2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 357604)
Excellent reviews Mr. Teardrop, you've certainly piqued my interest in these two beauties. :)

Could not sleep last night but too tired to do anything but let a film take me for a ride. So, from about 0300hrs-0500hrs I laid back and watched an "earlier-this-week-recording" of "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! 12/10 for better than average teenage fare (and not soppy emo stuff)!

Glad you said that Troggi cos I thoroughly enjoyed Lightning Thief too, so much so that I bought the Blu-ray and am actually quite looking forward to seeing the sequel, in fact might watch it Sunday

troggi 9th August 2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 357740)
Glad you said that Troggi cos I thoroughly enjoyed Lightning Thief too, so much so that I bought the Blu-ray and am actually quite looking forward to seeing the sequel, in fact might watch it Sunday

Yes my friend I'm keeping my eye open for it but I don't think I'll take a trip to the flicks to see it, especially as my wife wants to see "Pirates on horseback" AKA "Johnny Depp with a dead bird on his head".

klownz 10th August 2013 07:14 AM

Yesterday I watched "Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS" & "The Gestapo's Last Orgy" you can't beat a bit of nazisploitation!:cool:

http://www.filmposters.com/images/posters/15329.jpg

http://www.posteroid.com/prodimages/...-(B2,-R80).jpg

Rik 10th August 2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 357717)
Think I might watch Macabre tonight :nod:

And that is exactly what I did

trebor8273 10th August 2013 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
watched the first two discs on this set.

murder mansion

a group of strangers get lost and end up in a fogged bound mansion next to a cemetery. quite atmospheric in places and better than i was expecting 5.5/10

death rage
produced by umberto lenzi amost others, this is a Italian mafia movie with yul brynner who comes out of retirement to avenge the death of his brother, alone the way he meets a stripper and her brother who becomes his apprentice. 6.5/10

Medusa

stars George Hamilton and Cameron Mitchell, Hamilton owes money to the mob in the form of Mitchell who is a loan shark, which would be no problem if its not for the chance that his father looks like his going to disinherit him, people then who have knowledge of a new will start getting killed. 4/10

i eat your skin
picture quality was so bad i turned off, something to do with zombies and voodoo

scream bloody murder
a young boy murders his father with a combine harvester and ends up losing his hand which is replaced with a hook years later the boy returns home and murders his new stepfather and mother. we quickly find out that he has issues with sex and his mother and goes on a killing spree, when he takes a $10 whore prisoner, some hilarious bad acting in places especially the sailor character. we even have a small roll for the tall man himself Angus Scrimm, here credit as Rory Guy. an OK slasher from 1973. 7/10

Metamorphosis

a doctor is looking into a way to slow down or reverse the aging process, when it looks like he will lose his funding, the good doctor experiments on himself. at first nothing seems to have changed but as time goes on he loses time and his personality begins to change as doe's his appearance, very dr Jekyll and mr Hyde which was more than likely the inspiration for the movie, i would stick around till the end too see what the good doctor turns into :pound: 6.5/10

Naked massacre

a Vietnam vet ends up in Belfast in the late 70's, the vet has issues with women and ends up torturing and murdering a group of nurses, surprisingly graphic for its day with a lot of nudity and violence. altogether not a bad film, with some decent acting and interesting backdrop of the tensions and troubles, in Ireland at that time. 6/10

sjconstable 10th August 2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 357775)
And that is exactly what I did

I tried to, but it was so boring I fell asleep!

trebor8273 10th August 2013 07:07 PM

I am omega (2007)

I really enjoyed this and found it a lot better movie that I am legend from the same year and found Dacassos performance better than Smiths. :peep:

SShaw 10th August 2013 07:22 PM

Watched the Blu of Descent that I picked up from HMV in Montreal. I'm in the mood for more of Marshall's work now so may move on to Doomsday and Centurion. But I still miss Dog Soldiers on Blu.

tele1962 10th August 2013 09:06 PM

I watched V.H.S the other night and have to be honest and say on my first viewing it was poor. Very disjointed and not many scares, nothing really to latch on to and even the hand held aspect of the film was way over the top and nauseating. 3/10 from me.

trebor8273 10th August 2013 09:57 PM

Are their two differnt versions of horror express, the one I have in the chilling classics box set is 1hr 26 mins, while the cinema club version I have is 1hr 24mins?

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 357970)
Are their two differnt versions of horror express, the one I have in the chilling classics box set is 1hr 26 mins, while the cinema club version I have is 1hr 24mins?

It'll just be the NTSC / PAL conversion differences i suspect.

PaulD 10th August 2013 10:24 PM

Watched Sharknado in the background while sorting out my hard drives tonight. Really bored of this post-post-post-post irony stuff. It's no different to the rest of The Asylum's output in terms of concept or execution so I find it odd thats its garnered as much attention as it has. It's not big, clever or so bad that its good. It's just arch, knowing, poorly made and unbearably dull.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357978)
Watched Sharknado in the background while sorting out my hard drives tonight. Really bored of this post-post-post-post irony stuff. It's no different to the rest of The Asylum's output in terms of concept or execution so I find it odd thats its garnered as much attention as it has. It's not big, clever or so bad that its good. It's just arch, knowing, poorly made and unbearably dull.

Thats the second time i've heard it mentioned today.

What is it a parody / rehash of?

Slippery Jack 10th August 2013 10:39 PM

There seemed to be a bit of buzz about it on Twitter for some reason. It's just another one of those films I'll never see, and keep it as a one-joke cool idea in my mind . . .

PaulD 10th August 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357985)
Thats the second time i've heard it mentioned today.

What is it a parody / rehash of?

It's not, it's an Asylum 'original'. The premise is a tornado hits LA causing mass flooding and sends sharks everywhere. That's pretty much it.
Seems to be a bit of an internet sensation presumably just on the basis of the title.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 357986)
There seemed to be a bit of buzz about it on Twitter for some reason. It's just another one of those films I'll never see, and keep it as a one-joke cool idea in my mind . . .

Someone mentioned I Am Omega on here earlier. That is one poor film from The Asylum. Really poor.

Slippery Jack 10th August 2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357988)
Someone mentioned I Am Omega on here earlier. That is one poor film from The Asylum. Really poor.

I don't really do my dvd shopping in Asda, so I wouldn't know . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th August 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 357992)
I don't really do my dvd shopping in Asda, so I wouldn't know . . .

Sainsburies for you isn't it? ;)

Oh i didn't buy it. It was on one of the Sky channels when Will Smith's I am Legend came out.

PaulD 10th August 2013 10:57 PM

It says something that the best thing about The Asylum is that their business model is based largely on people picking up their films in the shops mistaking them for a bigger budget Hollywood movie.

antmumford 10th August 2013 11:04 PM

Just finished watching The Paper Boy, very uncomfortable viewing indeed. John Cusack was brilliantly psychotic, Nicole Kidman was actually not irritating for once and to be honest all the cast were superb. Some very hard scenes to watch, although not technically graphic some sex scenes and one death scene in particular made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Then I look at the case to find its only a 15 certificate...... What the F?! I honestly don't get the bbfc, I really don't. In my opinion it should easily be an 18

Slippery Jack 10th August 2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 357996)
Just finished watching The Paper Boy, very uncomfortable viewing indeed. John Cusack was brilliantly psychotic, Nicole Kidman was actually not irritating for once and to be honest all the cast were superb. Some very hard scenes to watch, although not technically graphic some sex scenes and one death scene in particular made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Then I look at the case to find its only a 15 certificate...... What the F?! I honestly don't get the bbfc, I really don't. In my opinion it should easily be an 18

Oh wow a 15?!! Yeah, that's a surprise. That horrible masturbation sequence in the visitor room between Kidman and Cusack was the peak of the uncomfortable viewing I think! Not one to watch with the folks :eek: . . .

Invid Ninja 10th August 2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357978)

Completely and utterly agree with this statement; I can't believe people are begging me to watch this. :P Can't stand The Asylum personally.

Rik 10th August 2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing its not about a kid riding round on his bike with a baseball cap on backwards, delivering papers?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

It seems the BBFC only give films in 18 certificate if they contain very strong violence and language or sexualised violence.

trebor8273 11th August 2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357988)

That would be me, I actually liked it and found it a better film than I am legend.:peep:

antmumford 11th August 2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 358024)
It seems the BBFC only give films in 18 certificate if they contain very strong violence and language or sexualised violence.

I'd say there's all of the above in it tbh lol!

demonknight 11th August 2013 10:05 AM

Not films, but two documentaries.

Swallowed Souls
Aftereffects ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2013 10:17 AM

Not a film, but I finished Breaking Bad season two last night and I'm well and truly hooked. Onto season three this evening!

nosferatu42 11th August 2013 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=trebor8273;358025]That would be me, I actually liked it and found it a better film than I am legend.:peep:[/QUOTE

'I am Legend' started well for the first half hour then totally screwed it up with the creatures, too CGI. (and nothing at all like the novel, which is brilliant)
Saw a little of 'I am Omega' but didn't think much of it. But i can't really judge it until i watch the full film.
'The Omega man' is good , but 'The Last man on earth' with Vincent Price is in my opinion the best version of this story on film.:pop2:

J Harker 11th August 2013 11:47 AM

Watched Cloud Atlas recently. At close to three hours long this film really did struggle to hold my attention. Good performances all around make up and effects and such were all outstanding but with six seperate storylines taking place in six different time lines and literally dozens of characters I found it hard to actually care about any of them. Which for a film of this scale and length I think was essential. Still well worth giving a go and I intend to give it another viewing soon to try and take it all in.

Last night I finally managed to watch my Castle Freak blu. First time I'd seen it and I thought it was a great little film. Don't know how this got past me when it came out. Not a bad disc too, not watched The Evil Clergyman yet.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th August 2013 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Killer Elite (2011)

This action thriller based on true events as documented by Ranulph Fiennes completely took me by surprise. I was expecting a slick Hollywood machine but instead we have a gritty, violent, British movie with a few big action set pieces in this enjoyable globetrotting adventure.

The film wasn't well received on its release and i'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps its the lack of big robots and men wearing their underwear on the outside. It has a top notch cast - Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Robert De Niro and Dominic Purcell. The plot involving assassinating former SAS operatives for war crimes in Oman and much more, from the outside it sounds quite complex but the narrative flows easily and is never difficult to follow.

A top notch action thriller. Boo, hiss to the naysayers.

Dave Boy 11th August 2013 06:56 PM

Sewage Baby (The Suckling) (1990)

All He Wanted Was A Cuddle !

trebor8273 11th August 2013 08:11 PM

Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead

Sick,sick, sick, but I enjoyed it even the singing parts. 9/10

Assault on dome 4

Basically a rip off of die hard set in space, the only highlight is Bruce Campbell as the bad guy, the hero has the personality of a wet sponge and acting skills to match. 4/10

Dark skies
Slow burning but very creepy and disturbing in places, with a family you end up caring for. 7/10

Prom night
Never seen this before, but a great slasher even though a lot doesn't happen till the last 20 minutes or so, great performance from the lovely Jamie lee, only downside disco! 7/10

Settling down to watch Mother's Day. Another classic I never got too see until now.

PaulD 11th August 2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 358115)
Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead

Sick,sick, sick, but I enjoyed it even the singing parts. 9/10

I love that film so much. The songs are excellent too.

SShaw 11th August 2013 08:43 PM

Portrait of a Zombie Low budget Irish pseudo-documentary about the beginnings of the Zombie Apocalypse. Allowing for its low budget a pretty effective film with probably the world's first use of a Lensbaby in a feature film.

The Master I missed the latest film from PTA on the big screen which having now seen it may have been a good thing. The film works very well on the small screen, and for those who like their cinema to address weighty issues, here religion and cultism, this is definitely recommended.

Frankie Teardrop 11th August 2013 11:06 PM

THE BOOGEYMAN - I'm a big fan of this one. 'The Boogeyman' starts out like a nasty, pot-boiling rip-off of 'Halloween', then gets really weird. Weird in a non-overt but questionably competent, bizarre camera angles and splattery electronics kind of way... but the director, Ulli Lommel, was a Neue Deutsche Welt hotshot who worked with Fassbinder and made Richard Hell documentaries before settling into a z-movie groove he never really kicked - although I for one am grateful for this in that he bequeathed the world the demented SOV travesty 'The Raven', the strangest film anyone's likely to pick up on special offer in Sainsbury's and a solid constant rotation at Casa Teardrop no matter what anyone says. Back to the movie in question... yeah, watch it. You probably already have. It's like the ghost of early eighties vhs horror - never how it truly was, but an ever present strange replica... disjointed, hazy, off key and out of time... has anyone seen 'Kindness of Wolves'?

PSYCHIC EXPERIMENT - Fans of shit horror are advised to pick this one up. It ticks all the boxes I require of a festering lump of cine-sewerage - makes no sense at all, is randomly violent in both a CGI and slimy prosthetic sort of way, deploys grossly Cronenbergian tropes with absolutely no understanding of the icily detached vitality of same beyond vague aspiration towards lumpen Yuzna-ism, is basically full of inane wankers who almost self-reflexively spout lines like "what? Wah... what's happening", "has anybody got any idea what's happening here?", "That thing that just happened - did it really happen, or is it about to happen?", has horrible ex-molester stereotype bad but pathetic guy attacked by plastic dolls in a supermarket orgy of blood and tits, features sequences randomly filtered to no narrative end beyond "this might be weird", shows burning people attacking others for no reason apart from the town in which it's set once was razed to the ground (maybe? Details are hazy), etc etc... seriously, ETC. All available on-line reviews slate it for exactly the reasons I quite like it.

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE - I liked it, but it didn't grab me the way 'Pan's Labyrinth' did - either emotionally or in an 'in awe of the manifestation of the fantastic' kind of way. That said, it's elegant in all respects and beautifully realised, perhaps (rightly) subduing the fantastic elements for an exploration of its very specific milieu.

TWISTED SISTERS - Brought out some old W Buld I hadn't seen in ages and had an enjoyable time. Not as weird as 'Penetration Angst', but still really good. Horsey is a sister-sister double act, one half of which is castration-fixated and knife-wielding. Made me feel nostalgic for early noughties London, if only because my gf at the time knew a production assistant working on same. Grittily washed out and sprawling, but propped up by some really stiff acting.

ASCENSION - Three woman walk up the stairs in a chemical plant tower block, occasionally pausing to off-load pithy aphorisms or launch testy rejoinders at one another's sarky observations re the end of civilisation. At the top, maybe they'll meet god. Who knows? This is ambient cinema, film making with no need for plot, character or destination. Interestingly, it still clings to genre tropes a little - bad taste dead baby stuff etc - but this is almost dissolved by the reliance on static portrayals of industrial decay and a an all-pervading sense of ommmmmm... For my money, it should've gone the whole hog and binned the dialogue, gone silent but for the drone and whirr of background machinery. Then maybe the bit where they play some Ladytron wouldn't seem so questionable. But, I have to say I really liked it, it's certainly an endurance test and a brave move, light years away from 'Subconscious Cruelty' in many ways and I hope K Hussain has some celluloid (or at least video) up his sleeve for the benefit of the future.

fuzzymctiger 11th August 2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 358135)
The Master I missed the latest film from PTA on the big screen which having now seen it may have been a good thing. The film works very well on the small screen, and for those who like their cinema to address weighty issues, here religion and cultism, this is definitely recommended.

I saw this on 70mm at a crowded theatre, and strangely for this cinema, there was no applause at the end, only a mumbling of "what the ****" and "that was shit".

I found it a very interesting watch, but I can't say id watch it again. Only other time no one applauded was the new Great Gatsby, mostly because everyone was shattered by the end, or crying.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th August 2013 11:50 PM

Great write-ups as ever Frankie.

I also really enjoyed Ascension.

nosferatu42 12th August 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 358159)
THE BOOGEYMAN - I'm a big fan of this one. 'The Boogeyman' starts out like a nasty, pot-boiling rip-off of 'Halloween', then gets really weird. Weird in a non-overt but questionably competent, bizarre camera angles and splattery electronics kind of way... but the director, Ulli Lommel, was a Neue Deutsche Welt hotshot who worked with Fassbinder and made Richard Hell documentaries before settling into a z-movie groove he never really kicked - although I for one am grateful for this in that he bequeathed the world the demented SOV travesty 'The Raven', the strangest film anyone's likely to pick up on special offer in Sainsbury's and a solid constant rotation at Casa Teardrop no matter what anyone says. Back to the movie in question... yeah, watch it. You probably already have. It's like the ghost of early eighties vhs horror - never how it truly was, but an ever present strange replica... disjointed, hazy, off key and out of time... has anyone seen 'Kindness of Wolves.

I like 'The Boogeyman' too,it has an interesting atmosphere to it and quite a warped storyline.:)
Never seen the original sequel,but wanted too. (saw a crappy director's cut version that had parts of the first and second films all mixed up with new footage that was total shite.)
I own 'The Tenderness of wolves' (dvd title) and it's a very different type of film entirely. Very artily shot and well made but quite bleak and serious, it's based on the real life murderer Fritz Haarman who killed young boys in germany and is reminiscent of Fritz Lang's 'M' in some ways. It's not a particularly easy watch but is interesting and worthwhile (if you like that sort of thing).
Its on Amazon for stupid money now (about £45),mine was about £8 when i got it ages ago, i don't think it's worth it at that price honestly. :pop2:

Frankie Teardrop 12th August 2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 358163)
I like 'The Boogeyman' too,it has an interesting atmosphere to it and quite a warped storyline.:)
Never seen the original sequel,but wanted too. (saw a crappy director's cut version that had parts of the first and second films all mixed up with new footage that was total shite.)
I own 'The Tenderness of wolves' (dvd title) and it's a very different type of film entirely. Very artily shot and well made but quite bleak and serious, it's based on the real life murderer Fritz Haarman who killed young boys in germany and is reminiscent of Fritz Lang's 'M' in some ways. It's not a particularly easy watch but is interesting and worthwhile (if you like that sort of thing).
Its on Amazon for stupid money now (about £45),mine was about £8 when i got it ages ago, i don't think it's worth it at that price honestly. :pop2:

Oops. I meant "Tenderness..." rather than "Kindness..." of wolves, a disturbing-sounding film I've always wanted to check out, but remain unlikely to due to the current market value, which is as you point out - "silly". Weird how Lommel went from being Fassbinder protégé to scraping the bottom of the barrel of vid-cam horror, but in a strange kind of way I guess that's commitment to movie-making.