Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2023, 02:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

God Told Me. 1976.

People committing acts of murder and a near burnt out detective investigates and is told god told them to do it.

Don't know why I wanted to re-watch this...perhaps god told me to...Larry Cohen is doing what Bava done, create a film on a budget with one or two well known faces, create a plot that seems to make no sense (which it does eventually) and create a lot of suspense and tension and just go with it. At times there is a bit too much talky talky but never seems to drag on. The kills are not very creative but one or two do happen and never really expect them till the last minute. Not one I was a fan off but have come to strangely like this.

MV5BZTgxNTM2ZjAtNDg5Ni00MDM4LTk0YzYtYmVmMjUwZjZiNWNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg
Old 30th March 2023, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Mad Max 2: Road Warrior

Max is back in a even more Wasteland Australia and he helps some survivors as they fend off a vicious gang who wants their Gasoline supply. I found this to be better than the 1st one and whilst there are some slow parts, the Action scenes are pretty good.

Dead Sexy

Shannon Tweed is a Police Detective who's investigating Murders of Hookers, so she goes undercover to find the killer. Standard stuff really. Bit surprised that this was released by Colombia Tristar, Sam Jones co-stars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm2rw.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ds.jpg (7.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th March 2023, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The City of Lost Children (1995)

A visually stunning dark Gothic fantasy from directors Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

If only i knew what the f*ck was going on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City_of_lost_children_french_movie_poster.jpg (26.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st March 2023, 09:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Last American Soldier (1988, Paul D. Robinson)

Phillipino actioner. Imagine Mel Gibson playing Rambo. Well, that's what they'd like you to think anyhow.
Ridiculously violent in that A Team way.
When a seemingly rogue branch of the UN peacekeeping force starts throwing their weight about it's up to whichever white saviour is nearest to hand ahem.
A hoot slightly. Explosions are all very well, but they don't make up for the personality void at the centre. It could just be the dubbing cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st March 2023, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The City of Lost Children (1995)

A visually stunning dark Gothic fantasy from directors Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

If only i knew what the f*ck was going on!
Not like you to be confused by a film Dem
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 31st March 2023, 12:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Not like you to be confused by a film Dem
Oh it is but they normally make sense in the end.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 31st March 2023, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran

It's been a LONG time since I saw it but all I can remember is that the bad guy is stealing dreams from children. Amazon just charged for my pre-order so it might arrive tomorrow, really looking forward to watching it again.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st March 2023, 02:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Arena (1989)

Imagine if you will a film like Van Damme's Blood Sport but as a sci-fi film done on a tv movie budget aimed at 9 year olds. Well that's Arena.

The best thing about this Charles Band epic are the co-starring roles of Star Trek and Babylon-5 alumni in Claudia Christian, Marc Alaimo and Armin Shimmerman.

I know i sound harsh but there's little to thrill in this film at all but it is mildly entertaining as it pulls out all the fight contest cliches towards the inevitable finale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (102.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st March 2023, 03:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Arena (1989)

Imagine if you will a film like Van Damme's Blood Sport but as a sci-fi film done on a tv movie budget aimed at 9 year olds. Well that's Arena.

The best thing about this Charles Band epic are the co-starring roles of Star Trek and Babylon-5 alumni in Claudia Christian, Marc Alaimo and Armin Shimmerman.

I know i sound harsh but there's little to thrill in this film at all but it is mildly entertaining as it pulls out all the fight contest cliches towards the inevitable finale.
I've never seen Arena but I can still remember it being advertised in the Britannia video club catalogue many many moons ago. It was written up to sound like this major sci-fi epic. As it was no video store around me seemed to carry it.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 31st March 2023, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dust Devil. 1992.

A woman on the run from her abusive husband encounters a strange hitch hiker and begins to believe that he is responsible for the strange occurrences that have been happening.

Richard Stanley seemed to never have much with his movies, creating a film only for the studio to demand a cut that has many holes in it like a golf course, and he released his final cut with a lot of approval from investors. Robert Burke is the hitch hiker and collector of lost and troubled souls. Chelsea fields is the woman running from her husband and finds the hitcher.

Very dark, gory, mystical film with strong, haunting atmosphere right from the start with a voice over describing main character. What does amaze me aside from the acting is the cinematography from the opening credits with the ariel shot and same half way through with Simon Boswell's haunting background score.

MV5BMWIyYjEwMDctZjU5Yy00ZTg1LTg5NTAtNWU1ZjA2MzBiMWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!