Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179523Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2023, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A boat captain ( Rosco from dukes of hazard ) is dropping of some supplies to a small island gets trapped when there is a storm but that's the least of his worries as giant hungry shrews are on the loose and are very hungry .

It stupid and silly and the shrews are dogs dressed in coats but it's strangly enjoyable.

This is a creepy little corman movie about a alien trying to save his race by stealing and using human blood. The actor playing the alien is very creepy. This has been remade two times but the original is still the best.

A strange structure which is believed to be part of a UFO appears in a small town, A scientist , a general and the mayor's son set investigate it and why the townsfolk are turning violent . Short but enjoyable, watch out or more appropriate listen out for Leonard Nimoy who narrates as the mayor's son who on film is a different actor.

After a test rocket crashes the pilot is believed to be dead as he has no hart beat etc but he is in fact alive and this appears to be connected to a creature that was on the rocket when it returned to earth. A small group that have been cut off from the outside world battle the creature. Another short but enjoyable bit of 50s sci-fi.

While nothing brilliant it was better than I was expecting and was a dumb fun ride that never takes its self seriously, Huge Grant hams it up too a 11. Which seems a trend a the moment most of the male character's are weak , incompetent or stupid and in Chris Pines case all 3, but it didn't bother as much as I thought it would. Lots of Easter eggs and one that stood out that connects to the 80s cartoon.

Now watching

Let's prepare for the world's most disturbing dance scene!
Old 31st March 2023, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A boat captain ( Rosco from dukes of hazard ) is dropping of some supplies to a small island gets trapped when there is a storm but that's the least of his worries as giant hungry shrews are on the loose and are very hungry .

It stupid and silly and the shrews are dogs dressed in coats but it's strangly enjoyable.

This is a creepy little corman movie about a alien trying to save his race by stealing and using human blood. The actor playing the alien is very creepy. This has been remade two times but the original is still the best.

A strange structure which is believed to be part of a UFO appears in a small town, A scientist , a general and the mayor's son set investigate it and why the townsfolk are turning violent . Short but enjoyable, watch out or more appropriate listen out for Leonard Nimoy who narrates as the mayor's son who on film is a different actor.

After a test rocket crashes the pilot is believed to be dead as he has no hart beat etc but he is in fact alive and this appears to be connected to a creature that was on the rocket when it returned to earth. A small group that have been cut off from the outside world battle the creature. Another short but enjoyable bit of 50s sci-fi.
Good slice of 50s movie viewing Treb, save your sanity and avoid Return Of The Killer Shrews, you will never get the 80 mins of your life back.
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 31st March 2023, 08:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

"Hi-ho, hi-ho" and all that shit!

Seriously though, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is an exceptional piece of work, in fact a landmark of film, the first ever Walt Disney feature film and one that reflects cinema of the time.

Certainly there's a frivolity here with the adorable dwarfs and their comic pratfalls but it's all beautifully done and the delight of the animals cleaning the dwarfs woodland cottage is timeless. Yet for every scene of lightheartedness and song there's an underlying aura of German expressionism and horror whilst still keeping the fun levels at a peak.

The wicked Queen and her poisoned apple invoke the horrors of the eras darkest creations and bring a new colourful level of terror to 30's cinema.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs remains my favourite Disney film all these years later probably because it scares and remains fun without ever becoming twee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cNHWkFpIrumPFatYZWBXbBNba8U (Large).jpg (72.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 31st March 2023, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

"Hi-ho, hi-ho" and all that shit!

Seriously though, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is an exceptional piece of work, in fact a landmark of film, the first ever Walt Disney feature film and one that reflects cinema of the time.

Certainly there's a frivolity here with the adorable dwarfs and their comic pratfalls but it's all beautifully done and the delight of the animals cleaning the dwarfs woodland cottage is timeless. Yet for every scene of lightheartedness and song there's an underlying aura of German expressionism and horror whilst still keeping the fun levels at a peak.

The wicked Queen and her poisoned apple invoke the horrors of the eras darkest creations and bring a new colourful level of terror to 30's cinema.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs remains my favourite Disney film all these years later probably because it scares and remains fun without ever becoming twee.
It's such a classic and brilliant film even viscous Gremlins loved it.

Old 31st March 2023, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jessabelle. 2014.

Second time watching this dark atmospheric chiller set in the swamps of Louisiana with a young girl returning home to her father's house and uncovers a dark secret with tarot and voodoo.

I will admit this is a bit of a slow burner of a film but it is better with the second viewing, it's not a masterpiece of horror and has some element(s) of The Skeleton Key ideas mixed in. Sarah Snook is the leading actress who must have had a sore throat with all the screaming and shouting (Don't listen to this with headphones) there is a decent play out to the end with a good background score. For me this isn't one to watch over and over again.

p10093133_v_h9_af.jpg
Old 1st April 2023, 09:30 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a great film which is funny, romantic, scary, and utterly endearing. Your review has made me want to watch it this weekend.

My favourite of the 'classic' hand drawn Disney films is Pinocchio because it's all of the above and more – a film that really tugs at the heartstrings and takes you on an emotional rollercoaster with great songs.
Old 1st April 2023, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm having a Shudder binge before my subscription runs out.

FUNERAL HOME – Also known as ‘Cries In The Night’. Guests are disappearing from Lesleh Donaldson’s granny’s morbid guest house. Will the reason for all the sinister stuff be something you can see coming a mile off? FH is pretty dull, and offers a creepy cellar and a strange cat in lieu of any thrills or horror. Even so, uneventful semi-slashers can sometimes be a bit like a comfy evening in a pub with an old mate, and the early eighties completist in me wanted to give it a watch, so I said go for it. From William Fruet.

THEY REMAIN – When I read the fiction of Laird Barron, I sometimes imagine it in scope with visuals by Dean Cundy. This isn’t quite that, but it does have something of a Barron vibe to it, by which I mean brooding menace in a remote locale with the sense of something vast and cosmic about to erupt in the background. Two biologists have been sent to a forest to investigate eco anomalies following a cult massacre; cue slow descent into madness. If you prefer atmosphere over action and your secret idea of a good time is the very last scene of ‘The Thing’ playing out over ninety mins, welcome to ‘They Remain’ – I enjoyed it.

THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE – Jodie Foster is the precocious brat with a big house and a secret in the cellar; Martin Sheen is the gerbil-torturing creepo trying to paw his way in. The autumnal flavouring is partly seasonal, but remember that TLGWLDTL hails from nineteen seventies Canada, zone of Degrassi. Vibes are somewhere between stage play and TV movie, but that works because it’s about dialogue and head games. Otherwise, entertain yourself with quirks such as Jodie’s magician mate and the weirdly funky soundtrack.
Old 1st April 2023, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Klute. 1971.

Shamefully this was the first time I have sat and watched this little neo film noir. Donald Sutherland plays John Klute who is hired to find a missing person and only lead is Bree Daniel played by Jane Fonda who is a lady of the evening. Although the title is seemingly pointing out the Klute is the main character, it's Bree that seems to be the main character who may know more than she is letting on and a target for a killer. Roy Scheider pops up as the pimp and one of the many suspects and brings his good acting talents as a person you want to punch. Did I miss something or was it actually explained why some people were set up and killed, either way this was a good thriller.

p2209_p_v8_av.jpg

Thanks Dem for this little number

Last edited by MrBarlow; 1st April 2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 1st April 2023, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trainee FBI agent Clarence Starling (Foster) is sent too interview cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lector ( Hopkins ) to see if he can give insite on help capturing another serial killer buffalo bill. So starts a game of cat and mouse between Starling and Lector . It's is fantastically directed and acted film with both Foster and Hopkins deserving there oscars , as well as the director. He end up routing for Lector even with all the terrible things he has done and comes of as a bit of a antihero with his code and unless it's necessary it's usual someone who deserves it who gets killed. Sadly as the movies went on his performance became more OTT . As good as Hopkins performance is I enjoyed both Cox's and Mads performance more with Mads being the definite Lector for me. The 4K UHD release looks and sounds stunning why it's not got a UK release is beyond me.

Both of these were a pleasant surprise and ended up being very enjoyable.

The first Sonic flees his home and ends up on earth at the town of Green Valley , one of many easter eggs. When he comes to the attention of government agent Doctor Robotnik he teams up with the local sheriff to stop the mad doctor from stealing his powers .

The second takes place months later when Robotnik returns and has teamed up with Knuckles to find the Chaos Gem which will giving him ultimate power to take over the earth , luckily Sonic has help of his own in the form of tails . Can they stop the evil Doctor?
These shouldn't work but some how they do which is probably largely to Carreys performance as Robotnik who's cranks it up to 11 and then thinks what the hell I'll crank it up to 15!

Now watching

Old 1st April 2023, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chopper. 2000.

Eric Bana delivers one of his great performances as Australia's criminal Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read who spent most of his days in prison and when he wasn't in prison he was creating havoc and working with police.
This film was based on from Read's books chronicling some of his tales including the murder of Sammy The Turk, confessing it to the police and being disappointed that he wasn't arrested. The film shouldn't be funny at places but you can't help laughing at some of the quirky comments.

Chopper-866129254-large.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!