Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2023, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloody Muscle Body Builder In Hell (1995, Shinichi Fukazawa )

Twas worth the wait. Found the dvd cheap so went for it.
Japanese SOV. Probably my film of the year tbh.
A pair of acolytes and a psychic visit the site of an old tragedy, go on guess what happens? Structured slightly like a film made by Sam Raimi cough, this was a total hoot and will be getting the rewatch shortly. The director wears his influences on his sleeve but for all that it would have been fun to see what he could have done with a budget.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 2nd April 2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 1st April 2023, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The True Story Of The Nun of Monza. 1970.

Claudio Fragrasso and Bruno Mattei team up for this munploitation showing a young nun Virginia becoming the new mother superior and those around her willing to do anything anything to have her removed from her post. This is not the best nunexploitation film, I'm sure the start of the film with two horses was...borrowed from The Beast. Part of the film makes no to little sense or did I blink and miss it but there is plenty of female nudity and a guy dressed as the devil seeking confession it's not bad to pass a bit of time by.

MV5BNWNkNGM3ZWQtZDc2NC00MjgxLTkxZWUtNWQwMmIxZDA4ZWZlL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3Njg3MQ@@.jpg
Old 1st April 2023, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Black Castle (1952)

Richard Greene of Robin Hood fame plays a man searching for his brother who seemingly went missing at the castle home of an Austrian count.

The Black Castle is basically a typical Gothic horror with Poe motifs crossed with The Most Dangerous Game. The film has some quite horrific moments towards the end for those with a fear of being buried alive, the rest of the film is more swash and buckle with sword play, a moat full of alligators, prowling leopards, human game and the usual torture chambers.

The film is headlined by Universal stalwart Boris Karloff as well as Greene, unfortunately for the bulk of proceedings dear Boris isn't actually in it that much and when he does appear he tends to skulk around in the shadows looking menacing rather than actually moving the story along. It isn't until the horror really kicks in that he finally shines in his role. A second Universal stalwart Lon Chaney Jnr is also in the film but like Karloff he has very little to do in what is a glorified cameo except yes, look menacing in one or two scenes before Greene sends him hurtling to his death in the alligator infested moat. Fortunately Richard Greene makes a convincing heroic leading man and Stephen McNally a lovely sneering one eyed lunatic of a villain.

Director Nathan Juran here in his debut feature shows his talent with action scenes and he would later go on to greater things with films such as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) and Jack the Giant Killer (1962) among others.

One of the best horror films from the first half of the fifties. That perhaps isn't saying much as it was one of the only horror films from the first half of the fifties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-black-castle-boris-karloff-lon-everett.jpg (98.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

KUSO – I didn’t think anything else on Shudder was capable of out-madding ‘Mad God’, or outgrossing ‘The Sadness’ for that matter, but I was wrong on both counts. Flying Lotus’s ‘Kuso’ is a scatological kaleidoscope that’s both completely nuts and only partly describable. It’s basically a series of sketches set in a sub- Lynch / Burroughs netherworld where an earthquake has made a load of weird stuff happen and everyone has boils on their faces. It made me think of Chris Morris’s ‘Jam’ reconfigured by Hieronymus Bosch after being force-fed some awful mind-bending substance that takes its user to the depths of delirium whilst leaving them with the potty-fixation of a backward teen; or to put it another way, I haven’t seen many movies that culminate in an xxx scene of someone f*cking a talking abscess that sounds a bit like Frank Sidebottom. Jimmy Screamerclauz did some of the frequent animated sequences, so if you know his stuff you’ll have an inkling of what to expect. Breathtakingly bizarre and crying out for a blu ray. With George Clinton!

FRIED BARRY – This bad taste sci-fi ‘social satire’ is about an alien-abducted junkie used as a vessel by a disembodied intelligence; he gets ‘assimilated’ or whatever in a close encounter sequence with trippy lighting and a bad rubber monster. Then it’s back on the streets of Johannesburg’s concrete wilderness, where ‘alien’ Barry rescues some children from a chainsaw wielding maniac, contributes to a psych ward uprising, and uses his spooky ET abilities to make someone pregnant and give birth to a replica Barry in under two minutes… we basically follow him from one wacked out vignette to the next, and it works in a shaggy dog way a) because it’s ludicrous and b) because of Barry, a silent, perplexed weirdo afflicted with massive gauntness (played by Gary Green, who puts in a pretty good stab at physical comedy). I was expecting something a bit more ‘Greasy Strangler’, but it’s less skanky and somehow has a bit of heart. Frankly, after ‘Kuso’ it was a bit like ‘Songs Of Praise’!
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kuso just is I thought. I'd never seen anything that insisted about itself so much. Rewatch!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Kuso just is I thought. I'd never seen anything that insisted about itself so much. Rewatch!!
Aside from the whole thing being a bit like an open sewer, I quite liked the fact that a scary voice keeps coming up that sounds a bit Yorkshire.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[B]
Old 2nd April 2023, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Interview With The Vampire. 1994.

You don't have to be a big Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt fan to enjoy this film, both actors who didn't get on well behind the scenes manage to start the story brilliantly as a lost man who seeks death and welcomes a new way of life and tells his story.

Neil Jordan who gave us The Company Of Wolves and comedy horror High Spirits does turn up the horror and blood factor and not shy about delivering it out. Kirsten Dunst is brilliant as the newly orphan in a plagued ritten world and becomes the daughter to both Louis and Lestat and able to lure victims to their deaths. Antonio Banderas appearance is something out of a Dracula film, the black face and pale skin but manages to bring a strong presence to the screen as the oldest living vampire and able to bring something of calmness delivering his dialogue and be tempting to lure another man to join to be a new pupil. Like every old vampire films there is the showing of the gothic tone atmosphere within the cities and underneath it with a haunting background score.

interview-with-the-vampire.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 2nd April 2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 2nd April 2023, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This is a hard watch not because it's a bad movie it's not , it's with the subject and how depression the movie is and just how unlikable everyone is with exception of probably the midget. We follow Arthur Flek a wannabe comedian who works as a street clown and suffers from Pseudobulbar( can't stop laughing ) he also a laughing stock to everyone he meets this leads him descending into madness and becoming the Joker. It's a good film with a great performance from Phoenix and Gotham looks impressively dirty , seedy and depression but not a film I would watch over and over. People say this has similarities to king of comedy and taxi driver but as I've not seen either i couldn't say.

Now watching

Followed by, which I've I've already wrote I've not seen.

Old 2nd April 2023, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

This is a hard watch not because it's a bad movie it's not , it's with the subject and how depression the movie is and just how unlikable everyone is with probably the midget. We follow Arthur Flek a wannabe comedian who works as a street clown and suffers from Pseudobulbar( can't stop laughing ) he also a laughing stock to everyone he meets this leads him descending into madness and becoming the Joker. It's a good film with a great performance from Phoenix and Gotham looks impressively dirty , seedy and depression but not a film I would watch over and over. People say this has similarities to king of comedy and taxi driver but as I've not seen either i couldn't say.

Now watching

Followed by, which I've I've already wrote I've not seen.

Be interesting to see your thoughts on Taxi Driver enjoy Treb
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!