Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2023, 04:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Blimey! I think JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS remains the ultimate Harryhausen movie. My least favourite has to be The 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER but the whole library is just awesome.
I saw CLASH OF THE TITANS at the cinema and Medusa still remains my favourite of Ray's creations.
Old 4th April 2023, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Blimey! I think JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS remains the ultimate Harryhausen movie. My least favourite has to be The 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER but the whole library is just awesome.
I saw CLASH OF THE TITANS at the cinema and Medusa still remains my favourite of Ray's creations.
I saw Clash of the Titans at the cinema as well. I also saw Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger as well. Possibly not the moment it was released but when it went round the regions.

The Three Worlds of Gulliver i agree with. It lacks the awesome creatures of the other films.
Old 4th April 2023, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bogie plays Sam Spade a private eye who when his partner is murdered gets involved in a case involving blackmail and murder which all appears too be linked to the "Maltese Falcon".

Absolutely brilliant a joy to watch from beginning to end, the ultimate film noir and Bogie plays the ultimate hardboiled detective, everyone is out for themselves and will stab each other in the back and that includes Bogie who's character not the white hat hero he's more shades of grey.

Directed by John Huston in his first film. Sam Spade is a fantastic creation brought too life by Bogie who delivers some fantastic lines. "
The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter" brilliant!

The picture and sound quality on a film that's over 80 years old is fantastic. A classic that will be getting many , many more viewings .

Now watching .
Old 4th April 2023, 07:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lovely write up, Treb.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th April 2023, 08:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. 2022.

Daniel Craig returns as the great detective Benoit Blanc who is invited to a private island to solve a murder that hasn't happened. When he gets there a party guest dies and he uncovers who done it.

Edward Norton is the rich guy who throws the party and plans a murder mystery that takes a turn with his party guests including Dave Bautista, Kate Hudson, Jannelle Monea, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr, Jessica Fenwick and Madelyn Cline who all have a motive to kill the host until one guest drops down dead. You got the perfect setting of a isolated island cut off, a great set of cast, a decent plot but for some reason I wasn't as thrilled with this as the previous film. In some parts a lot seem to drag on and not so much comical moments that were added in unlike the first film. A re-watch may happen.

p20914462_v_h8_ac.jpg
Old 4th April 2023, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)

Starring Gemma Arterton, Martin Compston and Eddie Marsan, this three person film - They are the only people in it - shot in mainly two rooms works surprisingly well thanks to an articulate twisty turny script, good performances and some crafty direction courtesy of J. Blakeson.

No spoilers regarding the plot twists, it's basically a film about Marson and Compston who kidnap Arterton and hold her ransom.

Last night was my second viewing and it holds up very well when you've forgotten the majority of what happens. Gotta admit i always remembered a part of the film, although for every Arterton boob you get Compston's butt threefold.

At a quid from Cex a few weeks ago upgrading this from dvd was a no-brainer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disappearance_of_alice_creed_UK_poster.jpg (22.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 4th April 2023, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Start Counting. 1970.

A nice decent late 60s early 70s film with Jenny Agutter playing Wynne, a 15 year old school girl living with her mum and step-father, step-brother and foster brother. She seems infatuated with the step brother George. When a girl is found dead, Wynne begins to suspect George to be the killer.

What starts off as a tale of growing up and discovering yourself turns into a decent psychological tense chiller that has its moments of twists and turns thats played out well with great direction and brilliant acting by Agutter and Bryan Marshall who is the brother that she has a crush on.The climax of the film can have you on the near edge of your seat as to where the last victim is and coming face to face with the killer that added a good twist although it can be obvious as to who it is. Certainly a good film to recommend for a good watch.

MV5BZWIyZGZjNmQtZGFhNS00NGUxLWExNzEtYzViNGUwN2E4MjNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg
Old 5th April 2023, 12:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mosquito. 1994.

A spaceship crash lands near a forest park where mosquitos are nesting and grow in size and become hunters for humans.

A 90s version of the 50s creature B movies with some bad acting, cheesy dialogue, and some bad effects of the mosquitos. Gunnar Hansen makes a good appearance in this but even he can't save this film from been taking serious and makes a good comment about a chainsaw he finds. There is some noticeable goofs when a man appears with a beard and next it's gone so he had a good close shave. Watchable for its daftness and eye popping scene, you know it can be bad when original effects guy walks away from the film.

MV5BMTYyNDk2NDIzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTk0NzM5._V1_.jpg
Old 5th April 2023, 02:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw Clash of the Titans at the cinema as well. I also saw Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger as well. Possibly not the moment it was released but when it went round the regions.
I saw both at the cinema as well, Sinbad on this very double bill.

supersnooper-sinbad-and-the-eye-of-the-tiger-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

Yes I'm that frickin' old that i remember the arse end of the double bills and choc ices in cinemas.
Halcyon days indeed.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th April 2023, 02:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE STRINGS – Sometimes all it takes is a snowy wilderness and a few creaking floorboards. ‘Strings’, the tale of a mopey singer-songwriter looking for inspiration in a remote house with a past, gets fair mileage out of its horror tropes (lurking silhouettes and a shuddering painting) because of the lingering chill of its photography and sound. There are a couple of missteps – that scene involving the roof was a bit ‘clunk’, the string theory stuff strains for the cosmic but remains decorative, and frankly it all works so much better when the characters just stay quiet – but this exercise in glacial hush is worth a watch, particularly if you can explain what it all has to do with Edvard Munch (I can’t).

THE BAY – A small town is hit by a plague of parasites in this eco-horror from Barry Levinson (not a name I’d automatically associate with horror). I was sceptical at first, given that the very mention of ‘found footage’ is usually enough to put me off. But this is really one of the best ‘outbreak’ type movies I’ve seen, and even though I’m usually irritated by ff gimmicks like shaky camerawork and digital breakdowns, here they do actually inspire the feeling of a documentary from a nightmare – you end up being carried along by such a sense of mounting dread, or at least I was. On top of that, it’s fairly icky in a way I wasn’t expecting. Very impressive and something of a surprise.

CRYPT OF THE LIVING DEAD – Andrew Prine arrives on a Greek island to uncover what happened to his archaeologist father. He wasn’t expecting to find him stuck under a crypt with a vampire in it. The film plays with gothic trappings, but the windswept location and aspects of its style make ‘Crypt Of The Living Dead’ seem more in tune with strange Euro horror then Hammer. There’s a dreamy, detached feel to it all, and something almost Rollinesque about Hannah, the silent vampire. I like the fact that even these days I’m finding weird stuff from the seventies I haven’t seen. And I like ‘Crypt Of The Living Dead’.

Like this? Share it using the links below!