All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2023, 02:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE BAY – A small town is hit by a plague of parasites in this eco-horror from Barry Levinson (not a name I’d automatically associate with horror). I was sceptical at first, given that the very mention of ‘found footage’ is usually enough to put me off. But this is really one of the best ‘outbreak’ type movies I’ve seen, and even though I’m usually irritated by ff gimmicks like shaky camerawork and digital breakdowns, here they do actually inspire the feeling of a documentary from a nightmare – you end up being carried along by such a sense of mounting dread, or at least I was. On top of that, it’s fairly icky in a way I wasn’t expecting. Very impressive and something of a surprise.
The Bay was a unexpected entertaining film for me, going between the events, the journalist documenting everything and using CDC, it is one of those that when you watch in the dark to obsolve the atmosphere can help.
Old 5th April 2023, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Bay was a unexpected entertaining film for me, going between the events, the journalist documenting everything and using CDC, it is one of those that when you watch in the dark to obsolve the atmosphere can help.
'Unexpected' is right, like I say I find that most found footage films really grate on me - that whole trend has to be the bane of my horror-watching existence this century. Outbreak type movies as well, in the main they're shite. I mean, I don't even rate '28 Days Later'. But I think Levinson's just one of those filmmakers, a seasoned hand with a couple of classics in the bag. I'm a bit indifferent to most of the stuff he does, but there's no doubting his ability to weave a low budget silk purse from a pigs ear, certainly in this case. He's united two of my horror pet peeves and kept me glued to the screen, I have to give him kudos for that.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th April 2023, 03:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I've seen The Bay a couple of times and thought it excellent both viewings.

The fact it's shot via several methods of 'found' footage, such as surveillance cameras, really helps rather than a single muppet pointing their phone at the ground for ninety minutes.

By the way i still think the daddy of Outbreak movies is actually Outbreak.

I saw it at the cinema and it was a traumatising and thrilling watch.
Old 5th April 2023, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Voodoo Passion. 1977.

Susan travel to Haiti to be with her consul husband and begins to have nightmares about murder and is drawn to voodoo practices.

Another strange bizarre movie from Jess Franco with Ada Taulor as the young housewife who meets her hubby's housekeeper Muriel Montosse, his naked nympho sister Karine Gambler. Jack Taylor plays the British consul who believes his wife is loosing her mind with the nightmares. This was beautifully shot with the great settings and exterior shots, the dubbing is all over the place and the three leads seem to spend more times out of their clothes rather in them. There is a suttle motion to how close the brother and sister are and not exactly shy on covering up but there is a decent plot twist. Just go with the flow on this one.

MV5BNmMzZDJlZGUtNDg5YS00ZDBlLWFhNjctY2M2NDc2NWFjMTIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg
Old 5th April 2023, 08:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I saw both at the cinema as well, Sinbad on this very double bill.

Attachment 245555

Yes I'm that frickin' old that i remember the arse end of the double bills and choc ices in cinemas.
Halcyon days indeed.
Nice double bill.
Ah, yes. I wish those days back. Pearl and Dean advertising.. "sigh"
I have the paperback tie in to Sinbad.

2544a84bca8d97e9924de6d7fe20cce3.jpg
Old 5th April 2023, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchcraft. 1964.

A witch that was buried alive over 300 years ago is awoken.she begins to terrorize a village.

Lon Chaney Jr is given top billing for this film and why not, he was a well known actor and screen legend yet his character has very little screen time and when he is on screen all he does is talk louder than normal or shout. The plot is simple enough, two families have been fighting for generations and one wants to dig over a tomb of a so called witch that is a ancestor to a family that wants to stop the desocration of her tomb yet when its disturbed she rises. Yvette Rees plays the witch even though she speaks very little, her onscreen presence is haunting and frightening at the same time. This may not be a British masterpiece but this is entertaining.

p54926_v_v9_ab.jpg
Old 5th April 2023, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Witchcraft. 1964.

A witch that was buried alive over 300 years ago is awoken.she begins to terrorize a village.

Lon Chaney Jr is given top billing for this film and why not, he was a well known actor and screen legend yet his character has very little screen time and when he is on screen all he does is talk louder than normal or shout. The plot is simple enough, two families have been fighting for generations and one wants to dig over a tomb of a so called witch that is a ancestor to a family that wants to stop the desocration of her tomb yet when its disturbed she rises. Yvette Rees plays the witch even though she speaks very little, her onscreen presence is haunting and frightening at the same time. This may not be a British masterpiece but this is entertaining.

Attachment 245584
Allegedly Chaney only worked on this in the mornings because by lunchtime he was too drunk to be coherent.

True or not it's a film i rather like. The car scene is a cracker.
Old 5th April 2023, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Allegedly Chaney only worked on this in the mornings because by lunchtime he was too drunk to be coherent.

True or not it's a film i rather like. The car scene is a cracker.
That I can believe about Chaney the car scene was nicely shot but the sudden stop the acting is a bit of a laugh.
Old 5th April 2023, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That I can believe about Chaney the car scene was nicely shot but the sudden stop the acting is a bit of a laugh.
I don't remember that at all. Maybe i was Chaney's last time i watched it.

I like that Jack Hedley is in this too. He'd go on to appear in for Your Eyes Only and the excellent series Colditz and er' Fulci's New York Ripper.
Old 5th April 2023, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't remember that at all. Maybe i was Chaney's last time i watched it.

I like that Jack Hedley is in this too. He'd go on to appear in for Your Eyes Only and the excellent series Colditz and er' Fulci's New York Ripper.
In For Your Eyes Only he only has a small role, New York Ripper is what I remember him mostly for.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!