Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2023, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

Sorry that totally ruins the whole bloody thing now I spent an hour on that. I hate using a phone to do these things that's why I don't do as many as I would like. I spent my lunch hour on it when I could of been asleep

Apologies I really need to read over these things before I post them.
Autocorrect can strike at anytime anywhere
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th April 2023, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The 5th chapter

I've been curious about Dead Man, do you have the Criterion disc Nord?
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th April 2023, 05:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

None of it was bad writing, Nordy. I enjoyed reading it.
Agreed, I've never been interested in Dead Man before, or any other Jim Jarmusch film. Even though I'm usually a fan of Depp.
You've sold it to me Nord.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th April 2023, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

City On Fire (1979, Alan Rakoff)

Disaster caper.
When a refinery (named Manson cough cough cough) employee takes out his frustrations at the plant, the countdown is set.
Leslie Nielsen as the Mayor? Barry Newman as the selfless doctor? Henry Fonda as the police chief??? Is this a Samuel L. Bronkowitz production??
Whilst it had some budgetary limitations, the many real people on fire made up for it ahem. It just teetered on the side of parody once or twice, which did make for a fun watch. Quite grim as well at points.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th April 2023, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
City On Fire (1979, Alan Rakoff)

Disaster caper.
When a refinery (named Manson cough cough cough) employee takes out his frustrations at the plant, the countdown is set.
Leslie Nielsen as the Mayor? Barry Newman as the selfless doctor? Henry Fonda as the police chief??? Is this a Samuel L. Bronkowitz production??
Whilst it had some budgetary limitations, the many real people on fire made up for it ahem. It just teetered on the side of parody once or twice, which did make for a fun watch. Quite grim as well at points.
This was a decent disaster flick, watched it last year, glad you enjoyed it Demon
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 6th April 2023, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Agreed, I've never been interested in Dead Man before, or any other Jim Jarmusch film. Even though I'm usually a fan of Depp.
You've sold it to me Nord.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I can vouch for it being very good. There's some unforgettable violence on show.

I would have bought it in the recent Criterion sale but it remained around the £17 mark having only come out a few months ago.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th April 2023, 06:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The 5th chapter

I've been curious about Dead Man, do you have the Criterion disc Nord?
No it's a steel book I got from Zavvi a few years back.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 6th April 2023, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. 1923.

Lon Chaney certainly captivated a audience back in the day and still does to this day with his performances. Stunt people do put themselves through a lot but Chaney put his body through a lot in creating Quisimodo from the hump, face and if I recall he had a mouth piece in to keep his jaw open, that's certainly showmanship.

The film was exceptional from a technical standpoint with the cinematography, the set pieces above and below. There were huge numbers of extras, very impressive sets that make you think it was really filmed in Paris and the acting was very good, even though it is a silent film. This film and Phantom Of The Opera are memorable and iconic to remember Chaney for his acting.

The_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame_(theatrical_poster,_1923).jpg
Old 6th April 2023, 08:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Everything Everywhere All at Once. Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert. 2022.

What the hell was this. I don't even know how to review this madness. Something about Michelle Yeoh and her husband running a Chinese laundry when interdimensional forces do something involving people with hot dogs for fingers, oh and there's a fight with dildos. Just sheer off the charts bonkers and not in a particularly good way. How the hell this won Oscars is beyond me. The Banshees of Inisherin is a far far far superior film. Hell I'd have given the best picture to Cameron's Avatar dross over this.
I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once a couple of weeks ago and thought it was superb, a brilliantly acted and hugely innovative film which was almost a weird cross between Parasite, The Matrix, and Scott Pilgrim Versus the World, only different and unique.

It effortlessly combines absurdist humour, social commentary, philosophical concepts, and exciting action sequences to create something special, a film unlike any other.

I was thoroughly engaged throughout – it made me think and laugh and, when it finished, I wanted to watch it again immediately. That doesn't happen very often.

The Banshees of Inisherin was also brilliant and thought-provoking, but very different in its bleakness – I think both were deserving of acclaim and recognition.
Old 6th April 2023, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Re-Animator

Jeffrey Combs is the odd, mad, Medical Student who along with his Room Mate is able to bring dead bodies back to life. Barbara Crampton is the Room Mate's Fiancee, who attracts the Teacher who wants the serum for himself. 1st time watching this and I rather enjoyed it with it's gore and humor which doesn't overpower the style of the Film.

Parents

Set in the 1950's, a boy suspects his Parents of being Cannibals. I had hope for this but unfortunately I couldn't get into this one. Instead of being more of a psychological Film, it could have been a no frills gore fest. It was more style over substance for me.

Guardian Angel

Cynthia Rothrock is a former Detective who turns into a Bodyguard after a mad woman kills her Fiancee in front of her. She is hired by a Playboy who is being targeted by the very same woman. Didn't realize it was a P/M Entertainment release and whilst I am not Rothrock's biggest fan, this is a watchable effort but not the best P/M Entertainment Film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (13.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg p.jpg (13.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ga.jpg (15.8 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!