Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Delirium 12th August 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 358159)
THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE - I liked it, but it didn't grab me the way 'Pan's Labyrinth' did - either emotionally or in an 'in awe of the manifestation of the fantastic' kind of way. That said, it's elegant in all respects and beautifully realised, perhaps (rightly) subduing the fantastic elements for an exploration of its very specific milieu.

Wow, is that the first time you've seen The Devil's Backbone, Frankie? That's strange as I had exactly the opposite reaction to them. Don't get me wrong, Pan's Labyrinth is an impressive film - I've seen it three times, including its premier - but it doesn't connect with me on the emotional level of The Devil's Backbone. I don't even own a copy. I'm less interested in the fantastical if I'm honest, and far more interested in the spiritual - Backbone, for me, had a far more melancholy atmosphere, and I loved the characters and the entire mis en scene. Pan's rather more ambitious world, while impressively crafted, simply didn't resonate like I hoped it would.

Frankie Teardrop 12th August 2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 358172)
Wow, is that the first time you've seen The Devil's Backbone, Frankie? That's strange as I had exactly the opposite reaction to them. Don't get me wrong, Pan's Labyrinth is an impressive film - I've seen it three times, including its premier - but it doesn't connect with me on the emotional level of The Devil's Backbone. I don't even own a copy. I'm less interested in the fantastical if I'm honest, and far more interested in the spiritual - Backbone, for me, had a far more melancholy atmosphere, and I loved the characters and the entire mis en scene. Pan's rather more ambitious world, while impressively crafted, simply didn't resonate like I hoped it would.

Yeah, first time with 'The Devil's Backbone'. I don't know why, but it just didn't seem to impact, or connect, the way 'Pan's Lab' did - I actually remember feeling quite upset when I saw the latter. The whole fantasy aspect I mentioned is a side issue really - for me, TDB didn't quite resonate in that global kind of sense when you know you're just not into something, or can't get into something. But I could see that, 'objectively', it's a really immaculate piece of filmmaking.
Perhaps all this has to do with mood and expectations at the time (things that always totally sway me) - I watched it in quite a distracted state of mind, having just witnessed the uber-shite 'Psychic Experiment' and probably more in tune with bad cheap thrills by that point.

Dave Boy 12th August 2013 09:32 AM

The Vampire Bat (1933)

The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961)

The Haunting (1963)
This has got to be the best ever haunted house movie. As many times as I have seen this film, it loses none of it's power. An absolute gem.

troggi 12th August 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 358178)

The Haunting (1963)
This has got to be the best ever haunted house movie. As many times as I have seen this film, it loses none of it's power. An absolute gem.

I have to agree with you. Although the remake had lot's of things going for it and CGI bursting out of the frames it doesn't have that "sense of the unknown" and the creeping terror of the '63 film. Great film!:clap:

Demoncrat 12th August 2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 358194)
I have to agree with you. Although the remake had lot's of things going for it and CGI bursting out of the frames it doesn't have that "sense of the unknown" and the creeping terror of the '63 film. Great film!:clap:

Who mentioned The Haunting remake???

OUT!!!

:laugh:

troggi 12th August 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 358198)

OUT!!!

It's not like I've got the wrong shoes on,. Sheesh! Bouncers nowadays!
:lol:

fuzzymctiger 12th August 2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 358198)

OUT!!!

To be honest, I have so many problems with the main characters in both movie, which is why I didn't enjoy them too much.

But that said, the original is still a pretty good haunted house movie, the remake, one of the most god awful pieces of shit I've ever seen that doesn't have Adam Sandlers name on it.

Demoncrat 12th August 2013 11:26 AM

AAAnyway...watched Goodbye Gemini, which nonplussed my mate, but I just love any UK film from 67-76 (except Carry On England...). Geeson as always looking wan and distant, plus great supporting cast...Micheal Redgrave, Freddie Jones etc. Recommended.
GOODBYE GEMINI (1970) Judy Geeson trailer - YouTube

The Sigil. More FF (and poorly executed at that, there is a decent idea here, but not done this way, too many "outside" shots etc), but at 67 minutes it didn't begin to grate like Episode 50 or Grave Encounters did. Pass!!

Demoncrat 12th August 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 358203)
To be honest, I have so many problems with the main characters in both movie, which is why I didn't enjoy them too much.

But that said, the original is still a pretty good haunted house movie, the remake, one of the most god awful pieces of shit I've ever seen that doesn't have Adam Sandlers name on it.

I'd recommend Shirley Jackson's great book The Haunting Of Hill House then, gives you a bit more background etc, plus it's creepy cough.;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 358205)
I'd recommend Shirley Jackson's great book The Haunting Of Hill House then, gives you a bit more background etc, plus it's creepy cough.;)

I don't know about making you cough, but it is one of the finest piece of horror literature ever written.

troggi 12th August 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 358206)
I don't know about making you cough, but it is one of the finest piece of horror literature ever written.

I could go for a piece of that, I must get back into reading "growed up books".

sjconstable 12th August 2013 12:22 PM

Marketa Lazarova - 4.5/5

The first hour is difficult to follow but the whole thing is visually spectacular and has fantastically atmospheric music, and it's so authentic-looking. I can't wait to watch it again, as I will be able to understand the first hour more now that I know the characters and have watched the supplements.

The Devil's Backbone - 4/5

I saw this on TV a while ago but wasn't really in the mood and wasn't fully concentrating but could see objectively that it was a good film, today however I was fully into it and enjoyed it a lot more. As usual, Del Toro's creature effects didn't sit too well with me (although I like the blood rising from his head), but at least it's low on fantasy as that's not my kinda thing (I'm not into Pan's Labyrinth, but will give it another go sometime).

troggi 12th August 2013 01:14 PM

"Dune Apocalypse" Part 2
http://www.sci-fi-online.com/00_revs...apocalypse.jpg
In this episode Muad'Dib has gone into the desert and his twin offspring are in danger from the once Imperial House Corrino and their Aunt Alia. They escape with the help of their grandmother, Jessica Atreides. We are left with the cliff hanger of Leto Atreides choice to take the "Golden Path".

From what I remember of the book, The Children of Dune", this is a pretty faithful representation. As it was made as a mini-series for TV it looks much "bigger" than it's budget would have allowed for.

17/10 so far!

ArgentoFan1987 12th August 2013 04:56 PM

Watched Rocky for the third time. I only saw it for the first time last year? It was always a film I thought I wouldn't like. Turned out to be a favourite of mine (although I've yet to see the sequels).

The scene where Mickey visits Rocky at his house is one of my favourite scenes ever!

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw Wierd Science (1985) for the first time last night.

The film itself was fairly average, in fact for a John Hughes film it was pretty poor, and the two leads a bit annoying. Kelly Le Brock was pretty yummy though. My favourite part of the film was when Vernon Wells from Mad Max 2 popped up along with Michael Berryman as gatecrashing mutant bikers. Totally unexpected. The rest of the film was fairly forgettable and very dated.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358308)
I saw Wierd Science (1985) for the first time last night.

The film itself was fairly average, in fact for a John Hughes film it was pretty poor, and the two leads a bit annoying. Kelly Le Brock was pretty yummy though. My favourite part of the film was when Vernon Wells from Mad Max 2 popped up along with Michael Berryman as gatecrashing mutant bikers. Totally unexpected. The rest of the film was fairly forgettable and very dated.

We definitely need a "dislike" button on this forum! ;)

Rik 12th August 2013 06:20 PM

Another vote for the dislike button :nod:
I love Weird Science, which is why I pre-ordered the Blu the other day

trebor8273 12th August 2013 06:38 PM

Well starting evil dead remake then might watch the church later, will post thoughts later.

Rik 12th August 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 358330)
Well starting evil dead remake then might watch the church later, will post thoughts later.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Church :nod:

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 07:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 116937 Attachment 116938 Attachment 116939 Attachment 116940 Attachment 116941

Watching all the James Bond films was put off the weekend actually just about to start DR NO right now but these were the weekends films.

Thor not bad but not great i cant stand Chris Hemsworth as Thor he just annoys me and also hes not hairy enough thats not a beard fit for a God.

Beat Street I came across this by accident on MGM channel had it on for a few minutes ended up watching it to the end and i loved it. Im not a big Hip Hop fan but this was when Hip Hop was pure and had something to say not just fools shouting random words and talking about how rich they are.

Black Sabbath A great film with some great use of light and color a fine piece of work with plenty of great atmosphere.

V/H/S I have heard alot about this both good and bad. Film started with high hope really enjoyed the first two stories but the third was so bad the effects were terrible totally took me out of the film so much i stopped watching it.

Murphy,s Law Film is great but the character of McGee just annoyed me her string of insults were too stupid and too many most of her dialogue like dog breath barf breath sperm breath you get the pictures. Apart from that its Bronson so its AWESOME :lol:

trebor8273 12th August 2013 08:10 PM

Evil dead remake

Really enjoyed it, one of the best remakes I've seen, not as good as the maniac remake but still one of the best. For a change we have a bunch of likeable characters and i actually found this more intense than the orginal especially last ten minutes. Watched right till the end of credits and all I can say is I need to change myself I was that excited! 9/10

Edit
Also like the little nods and winks towards the orginal movies

Rik 12th August 2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 358379)
Evil dead remake

Really enjoyed it, one of the best remakes I've seen, not as good as the maniac remake but still one of the best. For a change we have a bunch of likeable characters and i actually found this more intense than the orginal especially last ten minutes. Watched right till the end of credits and all I can say is I need to change myself I was that excited! 9/10

Glad you enjoyed it, I'll probably get to watch my copy on Friday (unless it arrives on Wednesday).

trebor8273 12th August 2013 08:35 PM

Was going to view the church next but want a change of pace so going to watch some cheers I do have a 11 season too watch.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 09:15 PM

Evil Dead (remake) a mixed bag of tricks, bits of it work very well, mainly the gore but on the whole it falls flat. Oddly, it reminded me more of a well shot Italian horror from the mid to late 80s than the original film.

SPRING BREAKERS. F*ck DRIVE, this is the existential nightmare I've been waiting for and it comes sugar coated in candy pink colours. More a mood piece than a straight forward film, this oozes lust, innocence and menace out of every gusset shot. Highly recommended.

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358405)

SPRING BREAKERS. F*ck DRIVE, this is the existential nightmare I've been waiting for and it comes sugar coated in candy pink colours. More a mood piece than a straight forward film, this oozes lust, innocence and menace out of every gusset shot. Highly recommended.

Is it just me or do the females in the film look very young im talking 15 young maybe its just the poster i looked at but it kind of disturbed me.

J Harker 12th August 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358382)
Glad you enjoyed it, I'll probably get to watch my copy on Friday (unless it arrives on Wednesday).

Did I read somewhere you'd ordered yours from Sainsburgers Rik? Weirdest thing was I nipped down to our local store tonight to pick up their exclusive 2-disc edition and it wasn't there. It wasn't out of stock or anything. It simply wasn't their. Not even listed in the new releases. Thinking this was odd I had a look on Amazon to check the release date and although I'd got that right Amazon are saying that delivery is 1-2 months!! I thought maybe there was some big problem with the disc like Cabin In The Woods last year. I drove over to Asda to see if they had it and weirdly there it was. So I decided to chance a drive down to Newport Sainsburys and there it was! In fact they had a whole different bunch of new releases. Incidentally the 3-disc Evil Dead Trilogy Boxset was there for £14.99 too. So the moral of this story is...
...erm...
...not sure...
...if you build it they will come?...

Rik 12th August 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 358409)
Did I read somewhere you'd ordered yours from Sainsburgers Rik? .

I did order it from Sainsbury's, it still says "preparing for dispatch" on my order and on the site earlier it said expected dispatch within 9 working days, that made me think there was a problem with it, they've taken the money so I expect it to ship in the morning

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 358406)
Is it just me or do the females in the film look very young im talking 15 young maybe its just the poster i looked at but it kind of disturbed me.

Selena Gomez looks very young in it so just to be safe I stopped wanking whenever she was on screen. She's actually 21.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 09:32 PM

I watched A FIELD IN ENGLAND yesterday.
Not a patch on Kill List or Sightseers,but definitely worth a whirl!

Two oldies as well which looked superb on Blu Ray-
THE GREAT ESCAPE and GREYSTOKE TARZAN.

The latter looked especially pristine.:nod:

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358415)
Selena Gomez looks very young in it so just to be safe I stopped wanking whenever she was on screen. She's actually 21.

:pound:

I cant think of anything witty you shut me up

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 358419)
I watched A FIELD IN ENGLAND yesterday.
Not a patch on Kill List or Sightseers,but definitely worth a whirl!

Two oldies as well which looked superb on Blu Ray-
THE GREAT ESCAPE and GREYSTOKE TARZAN.

The latter looked especially pristine.:nod:

I preferred A FIELD IN ENGLAND to KILL LIST, it worked better for me especially the occult stuff as most books on magic etc from that time period are full of spells to find buried treasure for some strange reason.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 358420)

I cant think of anything witty you shut me up

Ha, check it out, it's nothing like you would imagine from the trailer or the publicity stills, though those kind of images fill the film. It's a dreamy mood piece that meanders along at it's own pace, often appearing to be nothing more than interesting images and lighting.

Here's the trailer for TRASH HUMPERS, an earlier film by the same director, to give you an idea...

TRASH HUMPERS - Harmony Korine (trailer) - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 09:46 PM

I enjoyed it mate,but preferred Kill List myself.:)

Be great to see what he unleashes next!

J Harker 12th August 2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358414)
I did order it from Sainsbury's, it still says "preparing for dispatch" on my order and on the site earlier it said expected dispatch within 9 working days, that made me think there was a problem with it, they've taken the money so I expect it to ship in the morning

Hope so mate. Forgive my rambling post. I started trying to make the simple point that my local Sainsburys didn't have it at all and then got a bit lost. Silly tired. Bit weird that Amazon has got estimated delivery time as 1-2 months though.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 358429)
I enjoyed it mate,but preferred Kill List myself.:)

Be great to see what he unleashes next!

So am I, I presume from the introduction he gave to AFIE on Film 4, he is moving upwards budget wise and in the industry. Just hope he doesn't lose that very British/English quality that makes his films special on the way.

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358428)
Ha, check it out, it's nothing like you would imagine from the trailer or the publicity stills, though those kind of images fill the film. It's a dreamy mood piece that meanders along at it's own pace, often appearing to be nothing more than interesting images and lighting.

Here's the trailer for TRASH HUMPERS, an earlier film by the same director, to give you an idea...

TRASH HUMPERS - Harmony Korine (trailer) - YouTube

I had no interest until you posted that im very interested now. Guess its the old saying never judge a book .Cheers MTDS.

As for Trash Humpers where can i get a copy of that it looks crazy :lol:

Rik 12th August 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 358431)
Hope so mate. Forgive my rambling post. I started trying to make the simple point that my local Sainsburys didn't have it at all and then got a bit lost. Silly tired. Bit weird that Amazon has got estimated delivery time as 1-2 months though.

Yeah, me too, but due a busy week with a wedding, plus wedding rehearsals, speech rehearsals and band rehearsals, I don't have time to watch it until the weekend, far too many rehearsals this week :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 358437)
I had no interest until you posted that im very interested now. Guess its the old saying never judge a book .Cheers MTDS.

As for Trash Humpers where can i get a copy of that it looks crazy :lol:

TRASH HUMPERS had a UK release a couple of years ago.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358442)
Yeah, me too, but due a busy week with a wedding, plus wedding rehearsals, speech rehearsals and band rehearsals, I don't have time to watch it until the weekend, far too many rehearsals this week :lol:

Could you not give it a rehearsal viewing?

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358443)
TRASH HUMPERS had a UK release a couple of years ago.

Have you seen it and is it as crazy as the trailer would have be believe then again with a title like that im sure it is :lol: