All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179514Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2023, 09:53 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Super Mario Bros. Movie

The 2 Plumbers accidently get sent to The Mushroom Kingdom and save Princess Peaches from Bowser. This version stays true to The Computer Games and is very colorful as well as having Easter Eggs for the fans but I did find it rather boring.

Air

The story of how a then struggling company called Nike managed to secure the Endorsement Contact from Michael Jordan. I like Sports Movies and found this enthralling as to how Matt Damon's character was able to go through all the stages to making it happen. Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Viola Davis Chris Tucker co-star. It also has a great Soundtrack and all the highlights of 1984 was great as well.

Lost In Translation

Bill Murray is in Japan to do a Whiskey Commercial and is bored out of his wits as well as having difficulties adapting to the different culture. Scarlett Johansson is there to support her Husband as he is working but has similar issues. Together they form a friendship.

This Film is an anomaly for me, when I first saw the Trailer, it looked boring and it looked like a Feature Length TV Special over a Bank Holiday Weekend but as I work in a Cinema, I was able to see bits while doing Screen Checks and liked what I saw. Therefore when I actually saw the entire thing, I really enjoyed it. Watching it again, I still really enjoyed it, you can actually feel what they are going through and have empathy and I did like that they didn't sleep with each other.

District 9

Thoughtful and intelligent Sci-Fi Film from South Africa which sees Aliens land in South Africa and become Refugees and having encountered hatred from the locals. An attempt is made to relocate them, however the person in charge is accidently sprayed with a substance which starts turning him into an Alien and the company he works for starts hunting him. I really like this one, Sharlto Copley is amazing as the Bureaucrat who gets in over his head.

Beetlejuice

Classic 1988 Tim Burton Film which sees Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis die and want the new family who moved into their House gone. So out of desperation, they hire Michael Keaton's Beetlejuice to get the job done. but getting rid of him is really difficult. Still really enjoyable and as this was the first time, I ever saw Michael Keaton, I wondered why he looked different in following Films LOL.

Sin City

Stylish, Comic Book, Film Noir starring a multitude of stars in separate storylines but have some interactions. It's violent but for me it was too long and too hit and miss. I did like the Mickey Rouke Storyline with Bruce Willis's one a close second. The one with Clive Owen was boring for me.
Some great films there nic. I took my boy to see the Mario Bros Movie yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 10th April 2023, 10:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Class Of Nuke 'Em Hight Part III. 1994.

Taking not long after the second one ended, Brick Bronsky returns as the hero, who had a rumpy pumpy time with a subhumanoid and she fell pregnant with twins, one that was kidnapped by a evil corporation while the other was was raised normally and both twins played by Brick Bronsky (yep he is in three roles). Seemed like another simple tale, this is the second time seeing this and believe me it doesn't get any better, the acting isn't great, yeah it's Troma the acting is never meant to be great but seriously this is worse, the film is 104 minutes long that it seemed longer. The good thing is the effects, yeah they are daft and cheesy that made the film watchable to a certain point.

MV5BY2M3NWY1ZjktYmE5ZC00ZGZhLWI0ZDUtOTFkNDA0ZmIzODEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th April 2023, 03:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return To Nuke 'Em High Volume 1. 2013.

Tromaville High School has been rebuilt and kids are mutating more, the school glee club become the new 'Creetins'. Two young school lesbians try and stop them and other kids mutating.

Throwback to the original movie with a opening narration that sounds very familiar to Stan Lee...what a way to start the movie. Food has been mixed in with the toxic waste so when someone starts barfing up the stuff there is always an excuse...at times comical...as to why they are being sick. Troma at it's near best with a bunch of actors who can't act and deliver some of the cheesiest dialogue and some girl on girl action. It's far better than the third film.(Flashing images do occur at times throughout this film)

MV5BMTkyMjMxNjM0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEyMzY5MDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 10th April 2023, 03:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Scrotum (2019)

Another hour long palaver.
Dumping toxic waste is always bad, especially in exploitation cinema.
A couple's trip outdoors is ruined somewhat when the male partner finds the local lake isn't the safest place to shave
Truly dreck is this one. The ... antagonist gets a POV which is a nice shade of red, and the acting is all on the same level ... amateur.
Lawdy. Tonight ..... something else TF

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th April 2023, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

I always find it difficult to sum up my favourite films in just a few lines and The Empire Strikes Back is top five for me.

The battle of Hoth is an amazing piece of stop-motion film making, thrilling in both action and in terms of sheer spectacle, whilst John Williams powerful score, especially the imposing Imperial March is a superb modern symphony of classical music.

Yet the film itself is as downbeat as family films come. By the final credits our heroes are defeated, running in fear as Darth Vader and the Empire close in, their base destroyed and ships scattered throughout the galaxy. Luke (Mark Hammill) ends up mentally crushed in a duel with Vader, his hand dismembered, and literally falling out of the sky. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) everyone's favourite, is tortured, frozen solid and given to a a bounty hunter to deliver to his master. But there's hope. Lando Calrissian (Billy Dee Williams) and Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) flying away in the Millennium Falcon at the end just brings a ray of hope, a chink of light to the darkness of the preceding two hours.

All in all, for me watching The Empire Strikes Back is like traveling back in time to the greatest party, with your very best friends, and still having one hell of a time as if you'd never been away.

A masterpiece of cinema.
Old 10th April 2023, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mortal Kombat (2021)

I have never played the game in any of it's guises that this film is based on so have no idea as to how it portrays beloved gaming characters.

I needed it as something different to The Fall of the Roman Empire i had watched just prior.

And it certainly was.

A big brash exciting shit kicking action film with awesome fights, great dollops of blood and guts and acerbic withering put downs.

Mortal Kombat seemed like a film without pretensions and as such i enjoyed it for what it was. Dumb violent fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mortal_Kombat_(2021_film).jpg (68.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th April 2023, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return To Nuke 'Em High Aka Volume 2. 2017.

This was split into two films otherwise it be a long three hours, Basically it stars off where the previous film finished and then becomes a parody of Carrie...naked young healthy bouncy girls I don't mind then begins to parody other films. If Silence Of The Lambs Bill dance didn't disturb you then check out Lloyd Kaufman doing it, even down to tucking in his captain winky. To be honest this looses all the plot of the previous film had built up. There is a small appearance from Lemmy as the President and even his talent is wasted. The gore is far in between till the last 20 minutes that just manages to save the film and Kaufman having a bit more screen time is a bit of a laugh.

MV5BNjJmNTdkZmUtMWQwZi00M2YyLWEwNWMtMWM0OWFkYzE5MDQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA5MzI2Njg@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th April 2023, 06:02 PM
Cult Addict

Brightburn. Daren Yarovesky. 2019.

Imagine a farmer and his wife in rural Kansas desperate for a child. One day after all hope had been given up the heavens quite literally send them a gift. A huge meteor lands on their land, inside a space-pod containing a baby boy. The couple raise the alien child as their own.
Sound familiar? It should, as Brightburn pretty much nicks the concept of Superman and then flips it with a nasty little twist. Kal-El this isn't. As the child, named Brandon Breyer discovers his true powers and origin, and he ain't no hero, rather a malicious nasty ruthless little blighter with unimaginable powers.
I want to call Brightburn clever, but it really isn't. In fact I'm not sure why it's not been done before it's such an obvious idea. All I can imagine is filmmakers we're afraid of being sued to high hell and I'm not quite sure how the makers of Brightburn have got away with it.
As for is it any good? Well I have to say I did really enjoy the film, but ultimately I left me a little cold. Its missing something, I'm not quite what though. The potential never felt explored as well as it could have been.
Jackson A.Dunn is perfectly cast as young Brandon, already having a somewhat otherworldly demeanour to his performance. Elizabeth Banks and David Denman are also decent as the parents, and I suppose perhaps here is the issue, they are decent, nothing more. I never felt any real pain as they come to realise and accept their son for what he is. There was an emotional core missing. I don't know, perhaps another viewing is in order. What I will say is Brightburn is wonderfully icky, the gore and horror played up much more than I expected. Even in its cut form this is quite nasty in places.
I'd recommend Brightburn with reservations.
Old 10th April 2023, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict

The Menu. Mark Mylod. 2022.

A group of societies wealthy, entitled elite gather together at the ultra exclusive Hawthorn restaurant, located on a small island away from hectic everyday life.
The Hawthorn is run by executive chef, the meticulous and obsessive Julian Skowik, played brilliantly by a mesmerising Ralph Fiennes in one of his best ever performances.
As the evening goes on the guests are treated to 'the menu' a multiple course feast of the chefs dishes, more akin to works of art than actual meals. However from the early scenes it's clear something more is going on.
As others have said its difficult to review The Menu without saying too much, suffice to say i loved everything about this brilliant film. Anya Taylor-Joy of The Witch amongst others is a stand out as Margot, the last minute dinner date of Nicholas Hoults Tyler. A character initially seemingly innocent and charming but quickly becoming something else as the night exposes him for something else.
Fantastic film, very funny, brilliant setting, brilliant writing, excellent performances all around.
Recommended, without reservations, no pun intended.
Old 10th April 2023, 06:39 PM
Cult Addict

Friday the 13th Part 3.

I really really enjoyed rewatching the first two installments in recent weeks. However Part 3 is where things are starting to go downhill for me. Part of the problem is the way the film was clearly marketed for the 3D market, with gimmicks that just don't translate well to 2D. Truth be told I suppose, this was a few weeks ago now and frankly nothing has really stuck, I simply can't remember much about it. Was ok, but not an installment I'll rush back to.

Last edited by J Harker; 11th April 2023 at 08:40 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!